A reminder about feints, don't throw them out!

Sugar wash info and questions

A reminder about feints, don't throw them out!

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:34 am

Just thought I'd send a quick reminder about not throwing feints if you can avoid it.

I've just ran 13ltrs of feints (which included 4.5ltrs of BWKO feints) collected over the last year or so, and ended up with just over 3 litres of very, very good neutral. Yes the yield is a low but it's good stuff being thrown out, and if you have the time and inclination you'll be pleased you saved them!

Cheers.!

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Re: A reminder about feints, don't throw them out!

Postby bluc » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Interesting so they bubbler feints? I didnt think you would get anything useful..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby pistolknight79 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:54 pm

im actually trying something similar except in reverse keeping heads for a crack at neutral
hopefully being double still through 4 plates i wont need a packed section
pistolknight79

equipment: 6" copper tee 4 plate

Postby Nathan02 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:57 pm

What wash pistol? Good chance you'll still pull flavour through double distilled on 4 plates..
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:10 pm

I just save up my feints in long necks and make paper towel caps with some paper tape so the bottle can breath and the angels can have a share then when I distill a fresh wash I just add the feints to bump up the alc in the wash which in turn gives more yield.

As a rule a longneck is used at the start of the takeoff for the head cut so 750mm of 90%+ then adding 3 of them to a lets say a 10% wash will bump up the wash a couple to a few % points so thus a greater yield is produced.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:01 pm

bluc wrote:Interesting so they bubbler feints? I didnt think you would get anything useful..

Absolutely, I guess you could say triple distilled (strip run / spirit run / feints) but I was a little sceptical too. I was fairly brutal with the cuts but the feints seemed to make it easier to select cuts for some reason, very distinctive differences in 300ml cuts jars from one to the next. I also stopped collecting once the parrot got under about 75%, it was very easy to tell the tails portion was just shite!
The whole run sat nicely @ 92-93% but like I said, turned to sh*t pretty quickly under 75-80%.
Yes all done with 4 plate bubbler, left to air for 2 days also. First 4-5 cuts jars saved for hand sanitiser production.

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby pistolknight79 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:02 am

Nathan02 wrote:What wash pistol? Good chance you'll still pull flavour through double distilled on 4 plates..

basically a mac rum I will still give it go i acquired a drum of neutral many years ago made at the beenleigh rum distillery it was really good although it was compared to turbo/carbon filtered stuff i made back in the day.
pistolknight79

equipment: 6" copper tee 4 plate

Postby bluc » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:58 pm

Molasses neutral?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby nudder12 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:08 pm

How do folks store their feints?
I hadn't bothered with it, but last run I thought I'd start collecting.
I put them into one of those glass "drink dispenser" things you can get from KMart etc etc - glass urn, with metal lid and a tap with some kind of silicone sealing around it.
Well.....maybe a month later....I thought I'd take the lid off.
Almost knocked me over - the smell was horrendous. Worse I reckon than what it was when originally run through the still.
Is that kind of normal for stored feints? Does it clean up when you eventually run it through the still again?
nudder12

equipment: Still Spirits T500 reflux still

Postby Clickeral » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:36 am

pistolknight79 wrote:im actually trying something similar except in reverse keeping heads for a crack at neutral
hopefully being double still through 4 plates i wont need a packed section

Run it slow and it should turn out fine I did this back in the day before I got more kit
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby NFI » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:50 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:As a rule a longneck is used at the start of the takeoff for the head cut so 750mm of 90%+ then adding 3 of them to a lets say a 10% wash will bump up the wash a couple to a few % points so thus a greater yield is produced.

I have been saving up my feints from numerous runs now with the intention of doing an all feints run when I have enough.
I have read that it is best not to collect feints from an all feints run but what happens when you are adding some faints to a normal wash to up the output.
Can you collect the feints from that run or are they best chucked also.
It just seems a bit wasteful if you need to chuck it.
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:37 am

Recycle feints into wash endlessly.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby NFI » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:55 am

bluc wrote:Recycle feints into wash endlessly.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Are there circumstances where an all feints run is beneficial or required. If you are always chucking the faints in with the next batch (of the same type) you would never end up with a load of faints to do an all feints run? Is it just a different school of thought? :?
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Postby RC Al » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Depends how many different washes you want to do it with and storage.

I do like the all feints run product though.. can be a solid backup plan if your out of drinkable

I did it recently with a bunch of stuff to clear up some demis after a bunch of try and see washes, more resigned to making the space for them for each wash going forward, have a few different bourbon recipes im partial to now 8-}

But yes just a very slowly increasing, turning more manky bunch of feints. If you had done it for a dozen runs, I wouldnt bother trying to get drinkable back out of it
Last edited by RC Al on Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby PeterC » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:12 pm

I posted some weeks back on my feints run and the addition of a bit of caustic to the boiler which cleaned things up remarkably well and gave me an excellent yield. These faints were from many different types of runs. When I do back to back runs of the same wash I just add feints from previous run to the next run and this works well for me and means I don't have to store too much.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby B-Man » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:22 pm

my all feints run has been my best run ever. almost up to another one.
I do collect my feints of feints in the fores container for fire lighting and cleaning.

I store mine in old stainless beer kegs. all different types in a different keg so have a few wine feints ready to run and a TFFV.
it does take a while to run a 46L 40% feints run but well worth it.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Return to Sugar wash's