Do I run it or not

Sugar wash info and questions

Do I run it or not

Postby Shearms » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Good evening wise ones, quick question? Put a 6 kg dextrose wash down using SS classic yeast on Saturday morning in a 30L fermenter. Bubbling away nicely for a day or two then slowed, gave it a vigorous stir and presto we're off again. Have been doing alco and sg readings for the last 2 days hoping that it would have finished, there is still some very slow action going on with the airlock. Readings for sg has been 997 on both days with an alco meter reading of 5%. Temperature of wash has been 24 and 23 degrees, taken by putting thermometer into test tube. Samples I have taken are really cloudy but have noticed that it seems to have cleared down to about the 20l mark of the drum. My biggest problem is I'm due to,fly out Monday morning for a bit over a month, but I really wanna have a crack at running my still ( only bought it last fri) should I bite the bullet and just leave it till I get back in 5 weeks or is there something I can do to get it done in time to let the finished product age whilst I'm gone?
Cheers :angry-banghead:
Shearms

equipment: Reflux still (home job)

Re: Do I run it or not

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 pm

If you can get it in to a fridge it'll clear in 24hrs, or just outside in a cold place will do too.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Shearms » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 pm

I have a packet of turbo clear, will that do the trick? Fridge is a little full, it is grand final weekend after all. Are the SG readings ok? I was a little excited and didn't take an initial reading when I put it down.
Shearms

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 pm

yep to turbo clear will do it the guy i bought my first still from swears by the stuff cause he uses turbo yeast so he needs it but he reckons it totally clears in under 24 hrs, if ya got it already ya may as well use it Edit readings look about right bud
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Shearms » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Righto, I might just sample a cold one from the fridge and head to the shed. I'll post up here to let yas know how I get on :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheers lads
Shearms

Postby Shearms » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks gents, put the turbo clear in the wash last night and a lot of crud has settled to the bottom, looks quite clear now, just waiting till tomorrow to run it thru. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Shearms

Postby Shearms » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Was pretty excitednso got up early to run my wash, pretty bloody stoked with it, collected 3L of spirit and have put it down with the limoncello, strawberry liquer and Kahlua recipes, as well as a bottle of vodka done with an essence. Gettin the jump on the next one and put a TPW down as well. Should be right to ferment away for 5 weeks? Huge cheers goes out to all have provided advice and anyone else who has contributed to this forum, the temp corrections for an alcometer link was heaps helpful along with recipes posted. Looking forward to sampling the goods when I get home (provided the bride doesn't hook in while in away) cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft: :dance:
Shearms

Return to Sugar wash's