TPW only took 8 days this time

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW only took 8 days this time

Postby Johnboy1234 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 pm

My TPW only took 8 days this time instead of 18 to get to 990, all that was different this time was it foamed out of the air lock bubbler at the beginning of the process, which I cleaned up and resealed the lid and away it went. I was totally surprised when the hyrometer read 990 after just 8 days. The only thing I can think of that would make it do that was maybe I put in a little too much yeast, though I only put in half a 150g a jar of Edmonds sure to rise Active Yeast all purpose. Says its good for baking and homebrewing. Is it the amount of yeast or type I used the reason, or could it be because its getting a bit warmer here again now? Just mixed up another batch with 5 more grams of yeast, to bring it up to the recommended 80gs, and the thing has gone mad, its foaming out the top of the airlock really really fast, twice I have had to clean it up now and its still foaming, maybe it IS the yeast. Maybe it super strong yeast or something?

BTW it is only my 3rd TPW and man it tastes fantastic.
Johnboy1234

equipment: Euro 30-2 25L column reflux still

Re: TPW only took 8 days this time

Postby SBB » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:19 pm

My TPW usually finishes in about 7 days ,170L wash , sometimes 8, I do use an electric blanket and a couple of old doonas to keep it warm (around 28-30c) Try stirring the yeast head/froth back into the wash, it settles mine down when it wants to froth over.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby grehund » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:23 pm

My first TPW is fermenting at the moment. It's day 5 and it's on-track to be at 990 by day 8 also. I haven't had any issues with foaming. I followed the recipe pretty precisely, though I used some dextrose from the HBS rather than standard supermarket sugar. I haven't had any foaming. I have gently shaken my fermenter each day, temp has been sitting around 20-22C for the most part, its starting to dip to 19 now. I have kept it warm with a sleeping bag, but it hasn't done enough, I'll have to get an electric blanket I think.
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Postby Nardy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:34 pm

SBB wrote:My TPW usually finishes in about 7 days ,170L wash , sometimes 8, I do use an electric blanket and a couple of old doonas to keep it warm (around 28-30c) Try stirring the yeast head/froth back into the wash, it settles mine down when it wants to froth over.
SBB

170L! :o
Nardy

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Ingredients
1x 200 L Food grade Barrel with screw on lid
1 x home made air lock
150 l Rain water
35 kg sugar
3 x 550 gm jars Coles Tomato paste
Juice of 6 lemons
420 grams Lowans Bakers yeast
1 Teaspoon Epsom salt.

Method
Stir well and cook at 28-30C wrapped in electric blanket and old doonas..... should be done in 7-8 days.
Rack to smaller vessels once done and settled.
Saves a lot of buggering around putting on smaller washes. ;)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I think you have to start off at a lower temperature because it will create its own heat .
wynnum1

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:43 pm

I usually kick mine off at 26-28C A 170 L wash will maintain its own temp for the first 2-3 days at least, you just need to have it wrapped in old donnas/blankets. Keep an eye on it after that and adjust electric blanket accordingly. I usually start on the lowest setting and end up on the highest setting toward the end of the ferment. Best done this way in winter only.....its been pretty cold here.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Return to Sugar wash's