whisky all grain

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: whisky all grain

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:35 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well finally I got some Deltagen rye and AMG enzymes so this may lead to my third attempt at corn actually working and not being horse food :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

So I'm thinking for my 50 litre mashtun a 15kg bag of cracked corn, 10 kg's of barely and 5kg's of rye.

So heat the strike water to 90C then add the grains and 20ml of the rye enzyme then hold the temp for 2-3 hours then seal and let cool to the mid 60's then add the AMG and mash for another 3 hours or until the iodine says it's finished.

So have i got this right or all twisted up :scared-eek: :scared-eek: and need a hand getting it right

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby howard » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:45 pm

is the Deltazyme Rye a high temp enzyme?
i can't find any technical info on it.
it says it's made for rye mashing, which i think is lower temp than usual grains.
Last edited by howard on Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby howard » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm

and the deltazyme amg looks like it could be for normal mashing temps, as they sell a DELTAZYME HT :think:
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:07 pm

Memory is sketchy but I think I mashed at traditional temps not ht..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hjubm2 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:38 pm

The Deltazyme Rye has the optimum temp for Alpha Amylase of 85c. I usually use 10ml at the high temp/gelatinize end of the temp spectrum & them drop it down to standard mash temps & add another 10ml of both for the standard mash. Makes sure none of the lower temp enzymes are wrecked at the higher temps when you go to mash normally. The data sheets i gave you with the enzymes will give you the temps to build a mash profile around if in doubt...
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby hjubm2 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:41 pm

This post of Bluc's from nearly 2 years ago might help you... (sure you've looked back at them though)

bluc wrote:Another unmalted + enzyme barley mash today slightly different mash schedule with promising results

Barely lot 2 method 2
Grind barley finer 1.025mm gap set off marking on malt muncher.

Soak rice hulls overnight.Add 40l water adjust ph to 5.5 heat to 95c add grain and hulls. Hold at 88c 2hrs to gelatinize. Add 20ml rye enzyme hold 2 hrs brix 12. Drop to 70c beta glucan rest(break up the gummy stuff) drop to 65 add amg enzyme rest 3 hrs (atentuation)? Drop to 63c add another 20ml rye enzyme after 3hrs 15 brix.. will post gravity and volume in fermenter tomorrow gunna let it sit in insulated tun overnight see what happens..

You done any mashs yet rcal?
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby howard » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:26 am

seems like the deltazyme rye is not a specific high temp product, but the alpha amalyse will work from 40C - 90C.
at 85C you will be denaturing any other activity it is designed for (protease, beta & xylanse).
the beta in the deltazyme rye works at 40C - 75C
their Deltase HT works at 85C - 102C with optimum 95C, this is purely alpha amalyse.

so i see why you would have to add more enzyme at 70C (ie below 75C) for full conversion.
who would have thunk that these enzymes would be so tricky? :roll:

so i think i will continue using a specific HT alpha enzyme on the corn first (coz i already bought it :smile: ) and using a beta at normal temps (coz i already bought that as well)
but i might get some deltazyme rye for my impending rye whiskey, as it seems like a good combo product.
is ther an emoji for a Rye smile :smile:

PS if anyone is interested, i can post the spec sheets for the Rye and HT enzyme from the manufacturer, i couldn't find them on the interwebby.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Previous

Return to The Mash tun