Cracked corn

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Cracked corn

Postby Draven » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi just wondering where the best place to pick up cracked corn for a mash. I have been doing the tpw for a while now and want to branch out to something new. I have been scouring the site on where to get some locally but all I can find is chicken feed from the pet store. Does any one else do this? Or could someone point me in the right direction please on where to grab some.
Thanks.
Draven

equipment: T500 REFLUX CM

Re: Cracked corn

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Kegland seells feed grade cracked corn"grits" most use animal feed chook feed for cracked corn :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby dans.brew » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:37 pm

I just got my feed grade cracked corn from pet stock. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:42 pm

bluc wrote:Kegland seells feed grade cracked corn"grits" most use animal feed chook feed for cracked corn :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry I meant "food grade" grits
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 pm

I got mine from think water on lion creek road but I don’t think that’ll help you unless you’re in rocky. :angry-banghead:
Where are you located? A bit more info will help
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Also corn is a lot of work especially if you just run it tlhrough a t500... :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Draven » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:40 pm

I do live in rocky. As got the t500 I have been reading on how to get flavors out of colum stills, esp at high %. Its all about how many runs you have to do and not a stripping run, and the end product is formed out of a compressed hearts run. I'll keep notes on how it all goes and let the community. I have learnt a lot over the years and am sick of making natural alcohol, not that there is anything wrong with that but not just in this hobby for a drink as I want to see what I can create.
Draven

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:19 pm

Draven wrote:I do live in rocky.

:laughing-rolling: what are the odds :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: talk about egg on my face 8-}
Well as i said I got some from Think Water in Wandal, but I reckon the feed shed out on the way to Gracemere would have it cheaper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Draven » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Has it got to be anything Pacific or on the lookout for anything bad. I want to make a nice drink not poison myself....
Draven

Postby Draven » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:37 pm

I seen they heat the mash up and let it sit in a esky of some sort, is this a good practice to use. Again I don't want anything leaching into my mash be it a bad taste, odor or worse.
Draven

Postby RC Al » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm

Are you trying for a sugar head or enzyme based all grain or malted corn all grain?

If it's a sugar head, follow the bourbon whiskey knock off (bwko) instructions in the tried and proven section, substituting corn for as many of the grain ingredients you don't want to use

If it's either of the other two, better to do some more research, too many ways to skin a cat :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As far as the feed grade corn goes, you should be pretty safe, our packaging laws here are pretty strict, it's meant to be fed to animals, and add ons other than corn should be listed on the bag. I get my corn at the same time as my chook feed, I usually mix some through the high protein feed I get, some of the grainier ones have me tempted to try in a wash, they smell pretty good
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Draven » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

It just seems to be mostly corn depending on where the gravity ends up I have read that a lot of people will add sugar to get the gravity they want because it should be pretty close and a little sugar wont take away from the taste. I'll keep reading but now I know where to get the corn from I am on the right track. A bit of study and trial and error. If I don't like where it takes me, nothing lost and a bit more experience gained.
Draven

Postby Draven » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:15 am

Just one last Q. The cracked corn from the pet store is it ready to go (cracked) or do I have to do the whole damp burlap sack in a shady spot for 10 days, wash the germination off and go from there? Or is there a different process that I haven't read about?
Draven

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 am

Draven wrote:Just one last Q. The cracked corn from the pet store is it ready to go (cracked) or do I have to do the whole damp burlap sack in a shady spot for 10 days, wash the germination off and go from there? Or is there a different process that I haven't read about?

Cracked corn will not germinate if you want to sprout need whole corn if you are not using enzymes to convert the corn the corn is only for flavor and nutrient and will need to add sugar.
wynnum1

Postby Georgio » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 am

If you want malted corn, try hoppy days brewing, they will also crack it for you.
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby Draven » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 am

I am chasing the sugar out of the corn. So I believe the method will be hot water to a certain degree and let it soak for a hr to extract it out the strain into the fermenter and rinse the corn to get what ever is left and put that into the fermenter and check the gravity, add sugar if needed and nutrient and bakers yeast.
Yes I know I need a enzyme to convert the starch to sugar.

Just wondering if the corn from the pet store is in a way that is ready to grab the sugar from?

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have done a lot of reading on this and just finding where to get everything is best done here from local experience and knowledge.
Draven

Postby Georgio » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 am

Feed corn is not malted. Therefore you will need to extract starch from corn, then addition of enzyme at the appropriate temp will break down starch to sugar. If you buy malted corn you will not need enzyme.
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Draven wrote:I am chasing the sugar out of the corn. So I believe the method will be hot water to a certain degree and let it soak for a hr to extract it out the strain into the fermenter and rinse the corn to get what ever is left and put that into the fermenter and check the gravity, add sugar if needed and nutrient and bakers yeast.
Yes I know I need a enzyme to convert the starch to sugar.

Just wondering if the corn from the pet store is in a way that is ready to grab the sugar from?

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have done a lot of reading on this and just finding where to get everything is best done here from local experience and knowledge.

Cook corn till it's porridge hours(I sit it in boiling water in an esky overnight) then as Georgia says you need enzyme or malt(which contains need enzyme) it will sparge with rice hulls added or ferment on grain then squeeze the porridge..
Last edited by bluc on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Can I ask why nobody has mentioned the obvious here?
The T500 is going to strip out all flavour, its a reflux still and thats just what they do.
Your going to do all this hard work and end up with a expensive and time consuming neutral
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:31 pm

See post 4 :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
bluc
Site Donor

Next

Return to The Mash tun