Mash not required

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Mash not required

Postby iOnaBender » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:36 pm

The Stig wrote:Funny , I was PMing Wellsy, Bluc and Chipboy when I started my Angel mush

How did your wheat vodka turn out?
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby The Stig » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:18 pm

Not good ~x(
But I’m informed that winter and Angel Yeast don’t mix.
Bring on Summer ^:)^
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:35 pm

Yep, my experience is you need warmth, daily stirring for the 1st week, backset and longer time oaking than comparable AG.

The introduction of the mold will always mean it has a "different" smell/taste to distiller's yeast.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby chipboy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:28 pm

Just put one of your heater belts onto the fermenter, that will do it, If outside in the breeze then another layer is required.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby The Stig » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:55 pm

I was in the shed with a belt on both fermenters but nothing ~x(
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby chipboy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:01 pm

OK wrap in a blanket or something better, My cornflakes gen two appreciated it, albeit slowly but better now.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby bluc » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:55 pm

The Stig wrote:I was in the shed with a belt on both fermenters but nothing ~x(

Weird i was fermenting all year with it no heat or insulation...maybe you got dud batch yeast ..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby iOnaBender » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:29 pm

1st time AG YAY'er here!

I put 1 x 22ltr down Monday week ago 70/20/10 using rye meal, 2nd down Tuesday week ago the same as the 1st. Then Wednesday last week 2 x 22ltr with rye grain through grain mill. The 1st and 2nd are still bubbling at 1.000 today, 3rd and 4th not much action at all. All 4 have been held at 30-33degC during fermentation. FG on 3rd and 4th are 0.998 today, so I put that down to the grain mill minimum gap being 0.65mm and not milling the finer rye grain well. So observations are rye meal is a goer rather than rye grain unless you can mill it well with a smaller gap between rollers.

Overall I'm impressed thus far as I was shooting for 26-28th of December to run these washes through the pot.

I'm calling it early, but time to upscale to 60ltr fermenters for the bubbler!

A big thank you to Teddysad and all the other AD'ers that have experimented with this yeast so far ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby vonmighty » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:33 pm

I tried the lazy mash recipe from Still It (Jessies video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZ4rhOHZ84&t=473s)

Used 2.5kgs of rolled oats and 2.5kgs of rolled wheat... let it bubble away for two weeks and ran it out with my pot still last weekend and to say im disappointed is an understatement.

I followed Jesses' video to the letter. The neutral was coming out at 40% ABV with a pretty funky flavor... let it run down to 20% before pulling the plug, ending up with about 3L from a 25L run.

My previous birdwatchers run was coming out at 95%ABV with a super clean flavor, albeit a bit jaggy from the sugar, but can clean that up with some carbon filtering...

Perhaps I need to run the lazy mash again.... not sure why it was so low in ABV and so funky in taste...
vonmighty

equipment: Nothing... Yet

Postby The Stig » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:04 pm

95% out of a pot still ?? I call BS on that .
How about dropping into the welcome centre and doing an introduction post
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:02 pm

I have always found the taste from angel yeast to be a little weird, and did not enjoy it all.

I have found the corn mass I did has lost the funkiness over the 2 years I had it on oak. So don’t throw it out let it age for 2 years and you will be pleasantly surprised:)

Best I ever managed was approx 80% out of my pot still
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Beerswimmer » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:58 pm

Got gen 4 of 100% rice fermenting, couldn't be easier! I've never gotten an off smell or taste from the yeast. I find it gives zero flavors and you get a better taste of the grains :think:
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby Beerswimmer » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:07 am

Distilling the 4 gens now, I needed something to bring to a home distiller event, and gen 5 has been fermenting for a few days. Rice has a massive % of hearts compared to even oats!
Beerswimmer

Postby Beerswimmer » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:30 pm

The rice run ended up with 9 US gallons @ 80% after cuts! I'll be filling a once used bourbon barrel with some, the rest will be for experimenting with macerations and different finishes.

Gen 5 plus the feints from this is next!
Beerswimmer

Postby nickT » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:03 am

I did a 120L yellow label ferment of 25kg raw wheat and 3.5kg oatmeal, had all sorts of trouble due to an infected ferment (became I thought I would also gelatinize it just for fun at just under 100 deg C, which took days to cool down, during which time it got the wild yeast/bacteria in it - by the time I put in the yellow label in it was already bubbling away) - horrible vomit smells, exploding fermenter top, goopy mess on the floor etc etc. What a flipping performance..... :O) BUT, saw it through, 4 stripping runs were cloudy, re-stripped the entire lot, then ran it through my boka reflux column. Got about 4.8litres of 95% +, very smooth neutral/vodka, with a pleasant kiwifruit background taste and aroma (result of the wild yeast I suspect).

Decided it would be wasted on gin, so currently soaking some strawberries in some of it to see how that comes out. Eldest daughter did a little happy dance when she saw that......

Next 120 litres is down, but this time didn't try the high temps, just put it down at 35 degrees C with the yellow label. Bubbling away nicely, no particular odours, looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Hopefully a smooth neutral with just a grainy background.....
nickT

equipment: Grainfather, Boka, Alembic, AirStill.

Postby oddian » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:44 am

I do this mash a lot, it's my core Gin mash with 7kg quick oats and 30L total volume at 33 degrees for 5 days and it's reliably amazing and super cheap ($12 of oats and $3 worth of yeast) yielding me about 4 700ml bottles of final gin after all is said and done.

It does have a bit of a vomit / off eggs smell when fermenting, I'm not entirely sure this is an infection or if so then every batch of mine has been infected and I use a stainless fermenter and star san religiously. Regardless of the off smell it distills into a really great neutral spirit and the little kiwi flavour is something I havne't been able to put my finger on before but yeah, that's definitely there.
oddian

equipment: Air Still

Postby nickT » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:33 am

oddian wrote:I do this mash a lot, it's my core Gin mash with 7kg quick oats and 30L total volume at 33 degrees for 5 days and it's reliably amazing and super cheap ($12 of oats and $3 worth of yeast) yielding me about 4 700ml bottles of final gin after all is said and done.

It does have a bit of a vomit / off eggs smell when fermenting, I'm not entirely sure this is an infection or if so then every batch of mine has been infected and I use a stainless fermenter and star san religiously. Regardless of the off smell it distills into a really great neutral spirit and the little kiwi flavour is something I havne't been able to put my finger on before but yeah, that's definitely there.

Hi Oddian, I don't think you need to worry about having an infection, at least not like mine - I got a tiny bit on my clothes or hands, or something, when dealing with the initial mess - I went inside the house and it then really stunk of vomit for a couple of days. Like, really stunk. I was not popular with the family...... (All forgiven now that the finished product has been sampled....) There are still whiffs of it in some parts of the house a couple of weeks later, I just cannot pinpoint the source.
nickT

equipment: Grainfather, Boka, Alembic, AirStill.

Previous

Return to The Mash tun