Malting system

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Malting system

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Look who’s getting all fancy and arty now he’s got nice welder :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby hjubm2 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:08 pm

Looks like a not too bad idea, I'm just wondering if the arms being vertical will pass through the grain instead of turning it? If i was doing it that way I'd use that as the arms & screw on some sheet metal or something to make a kind of screw to help turn/disturb the grain. How will you go getting down to the bottom with a curved false bottom? As far as I can tell it looks like you'll have to get the grain on the false bottom moving as well otherwise it will become matted... just my thoughts...

I'm not sure what torque would be required but I'm not sure a rotisserie motor would be powerful enough unless you use one from a spit or similar with a higher torque. Can always gear it for more torque I guess, doesn't need to move too fast.
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:44 pm

The Stig wrote:Look who’s getting all fancy and arty now he’s got nice welder :laughing-rolling:

Lets hope :whistle:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:46 pm

hjubm2 wrote:Looks like a not too bad idea, I'm just wondering if the arms being vertical will pass through the grain instead of turning it? If i was doing it that way I'd use that as the arms & screw on some sheet metal or something to make a kind of screw to help turn/disturb the grain. How will you go getting down to the bottom with a curved false bottom? As far as I can tell it looks like you'll have to get the grain on the false bottom moving as well otherwise it will become matted... just my thoughts...

I'm not sure what torque would be required but I'm not sure a rotisserie motor would be powerful enough unless you use one from a spit or similar with a higher torque. Can always gear it for more torque I guess, doesn't need to move too fast.

Good points and noted maybe twisted flat instead of round bar :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby BigRig » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:49 pm

Go the rotisserie motor, more torque.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby hjubm2 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:54 pm

Twisted flat should work. Think it will all just be trial and error for you until you can get something that works. If I can get the parts together I'll start building my 200L+ one & we can compare notes.

What size holes are you going with for your false bottom & are you making it fixed or interchangeable? I know you mentioned about trying millet which is a bloody small grain so it could cause problems depending on your setup.

Also have you thought about adding temperature probes into the malting system? I'm thinking of adding a thermometer at the top, middle & bottom of the grain but can't come up with a way of doing it without interfering with the mixer/auger.
hjubm2

Postby bluc » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:10 am

Yea need thermometers i am still trying figure that out too..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:46 pm

The easiest way I reckon to measure the temp would be to use some DS18B20 temp sensors :handgestures-thumbupleft: one can buy them in a SS can with a 3 metre lead and totally waterpoof :laughing-rolling: I'm sure one can even lcd readouts to suit them but also a few lines of code and a 7" tft touch screen is a much better way to go.

Just use pipe for the centre shaft on the auger and put the wires in the pipe hole and weld on tubes at the height you want for the temp sensor to sit in :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:05 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:The easiest way I reckon to measure the temp would be to use some DS18B20 temp sensors :handgestures-thumbupleft: one can buy them in a SS can with a 3 metre lead and totally waterpoof :laughing-rolling: I'm sure one can even lcd readouts to suit them but also a few lines of code and a 7" tft touch screen is a much better way to go.

Just use pipe for the centre shaft on the auger and put the wires in the pipe hole and weld on tubes at the height you want for the temp sensor to sit in :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan

If I've read this correctly your saying to have the thermometers mounted to the shaft of the auger/mixer? Won't that cause problems since the centre shaft would spin with the motor...?
hjubm2

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:11 pm

hjubm2 wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:The easiest way I reckon to measure the temp would be to use some DS18B20 temp sensors :handgestures-thumbupleft: one can buy them in a SS can with a 3 metre lead and totally waterpoof :laughing-rolling: I'm sure one can even lcd readouts to suit them but also a few lines of code and a 7" tft touch screen is a much better way to go.

Cheers Bryan

If I've read this correctly your saying to have the thermometers mounted to the shaft of the auger/mixer? Won't that cause problems since the centre shaft would spin with the motor...?

Of course I only gave a hint of my idea a flange at the top of the auger would have a bearing so the wire can pass through without twisting :handgestures-thumbupleft:

With that screen I brought home it is time to see how much grain can fit in or it may just used as a dryer as I will be making spiral auger plates for it. After all it is for another project there will be a use if horizontal malting is the way to go and this this small unit does the job well a bigger one can be made.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:34 pm

I have been thinking of maybe a wireless one you could have few different heights. Couple problems i see pot is Steel maybe wifi issues, two I would need to learn pid logic. Pid software is built into the firmware of home assistant so is doable with bit effort on my part. I was kinda hoping to get away with a inkbird temp controller.

Talking to blokes on hd also and a person suggest "chimneys" perf tubes bottom to top to allow ventilation. Big prob is heat it speeds up germination. A sprout that takes 5 days is better then one done in 3 to same growth point. More enzyme properly modified less beta glucans. I might try this first would solve issues if I dont have to stir..
When I did the corn i had air pumping through constantly and I flushed with tap water couple times a day. Sprouted fine no rot so water and air might suffice. Will just take experimentation i think.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hjubm2 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:57 pm

Hey Bluc, you made any progress on this?

Found another video that might help you with the grain turning part: https://youtu.be/oaZ-y4qwlmU
hjubm2

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 pm

No not yet hopefully first round this week..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:29 am

I am not sure i will stick with the vertical drum idea or not. Kinda thinking now have a drum rotater like seen on forums youtube etc but then build that onto another frame so it pivots vertical to horizontal vertical to steep horizontal to tumble and grow.. Also going to build a custom weight scale into the frame. Steep by weight dry by weight. My current stock pot with element along with the blower will become the heat source for kilning. For now I will get better grip on the process using the existing stock pot setup..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:43 am

That agitater is a work of art but would be difficult to build withput a good metal working workshop..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Wed May 04, 2022 7:55 pm

Got a bag barley today. Got a sample soaking make sure it sprouts and have my automations worked out. All goes well first lot will go in sunday :happy-partydance:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Blinky » Thu May 05, 2022 7:44 am

Nice work mate very keen to see the results!
Blinky

equipment: 4'' pot and 170L boiler.
6'' 5 plate rig

Postby bluc » Thu May 05, 2022 2:34 pm

IMG20220505141617.jpg

Looks like the barley will sprout..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Thu May 05, 2022 6:04 pm

6hrs on lots more chits..
IMG_20220505_180204.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby hjubm2 » Thu May 05, 2022 6:18 pm

Looking good Bluc! Are you planning on cleaning/seperating the grain before malting larger batches? I've been trying to work out an easy way to clean the grain & seperate out the non-viable grains before starting the steeping process.
hjubm2

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun