Rye

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Rye

Postby Linno » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 pm

I have done some lookin round on here and couldnt find much discussion on Rye being added to the grain bill.

I am currently using the Mcbourbon Knock off recipe and although it tastes great I would like to try and give it a bit more bite, at the moment it is a bit sweet.

is anyone using Rye in this or another grain ferment? what would be the reccomended amount to try for a 25/30ltr wash ( i do bigger ferments but thats a good ferment size to scale from)??

I have read that it adds a good strong flavour to the product.

Cheers
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Re: Rye

Postby Linny » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:23 pm

doesnt rye add a little bit of canadian club taste ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Linno » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Linny wrote:doesnt rye add a little bit of canadian club taste ?

I hope not cause i not a big CC fan but yeah I am interested in rye results good or bad before I mix up my generations.
Linno

Postby Kimbo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Hey Linno,
I did a 50/50 Rye/Malted Barley a while back, I loved it (but i am a big fan of CC) in fact there was very little difference.
I am finding Whole Rye quite hard to get at the moment,(flaked is easy).
I like the flavour, but that's just me. As soon as i can get some whole Rye I will Malt it and do a thread on it ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Linno » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:46 pm

cheers Kimbo

it takes me 2 runs for my 180ltr fermenter, I usually dump the dunder from my first run and keep the second lot to kick of the new generation. I will keep the the dunder from the first run and add new corn and the rye/malted barley to your specs in a new ferment. see how I go.. Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linno

Postby bt1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 pm

We've got good access to rye over here... plain, malted cracked or ground etc.

I generally found plain rye adds a spicy edge to a brew. Plain rye spirits take much longer to turn. Expect a good few months ageing before it starts to show it's true style.

A malted rye is no different from a good malt. Its extra tasty too and doesn't have the lag of the plain imho.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:55 am

Now that I have found a source of unmalted kibbled rye a reasonable prices. i would like to try a allgrain...
I have never done a AG before but have been doing my research and found UJs Rye AG recipe.
I also found anther HD thread which said unmalted rye has enougth diastatic power to convert itself..is that true???
malted rye is not availible at all here so if the unmalted rye cant convert itself what type malted barley would be good to use?
thanks
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby bluess57 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:39 am

I'm using pilsner malt in my UJ and is good
Have also been adding lately some rolled rye to the mix
A pale ale malt is another you could try
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby bt1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:48 am

Hello kiwi,

reckon this is always going to be about your drink style prefs, other than the obvious stuff (aromatic styles) which you know doubt already have sorted out.

My pref is a lighter style and I've always stuck to extremely low EBC numbered malts. To explain we have a great grains place here in Adelaide, here's the link with pictures and EBC rating to assist.

there's grains/malt link mid page.

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/

Be interesting to see what you decide...ryes I reckon are more custom made than most drinks imho.

bt1
bt1

Postby bt1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:59 am

Sry kiwi,

this one as example from their link might up your street...

Barrett Burston Galaxy (Pilsner) Malt

bt1
bt1

Postby crow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 am

kiwikeg wrote:Now that I have found a source of unmalted kibbled rye a reasonable prices. i would like to try a allgrain...
I have never done a AG before but have been doing my research and found UJs Rye AG recipe.
I also found anther HD thread which said unmalted rye has enougth diastatic power to convert itself..is that true???
malted rye is not availible at all here so if the unmalted rye cant convert itself what type malted barley would be good to use?
thanks

I don't know KK but I highly doubt it. Thomas Fawcetts has an agent in NZ, he's the agent for aust. and NZ . They would be your best bet for malted rye, if they don't stock it they definitely could get it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks someone has put me onto a brew shop in penrose that has 3 types of malt rye 2 are dark with almost no DP but they do have....
Weyermann Rye Malt
EBC: 5.5
Diastatic Power: 120-150 WK.

would a all rye grain bill be too overpowering? I dont want to have to wait 8 years to drink it...
I am not going to be fermenting on the grain (I hope)
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby crow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:19 am

Only ever drank rye one or twice and that was a long time ago but I think it was kinda what ppl call peppery
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linno » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Kiwi

I have been doing some reading on the rye lately as I am about to start my first wash with it. Basically to be considered a proper Rye whiskey at least 50% of the grain needs to be rye with the rest as your own combo of corn wheat malt or whatever, that said I am only going to do 1 small batch at 50% and see and then I may adjust the rye down to suit.
Linno

Postby Kimbo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Let us know how it goes mate.
What sort of Rye was it? Whole, kibbled etc and where did you get it from mate? :happy-partydance:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:08 am

Hello kiwi,

reckon you nailed it here

would a all rye grain bill be too overpowering? I don't want to have to wait 8 years to drink it...

I've still got some roughly 40%rye, 40% corn and 20% pilsner malt gear it's about 10 months old and I'm hopeful in the next 6 months it'll be good or better than good.
Dumb thing is as you know corn itself is usually one of the quickest agers there is, so together it should be ok was the thinking at the time.
Sure after 6 months they are ok but geez rye does teach us all how to play the waiting game.

btw if you need malted rye organised let me know cos that beer belly place does a nice one.

bt1
bt1

Postby Linno » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:51 pm

after some mind changin and interweb hunting my rye experiment is going to be a 'tennesee style whiskey' recipe i found a distillery in US uses that is 80% corn 12% Rye 8% malt and 25%backset, i am going to use Caramalt, as the recipe i am using calls for maple charcoal filtering for that caremel note and i got no idea how to do that so i reckon the caramalt might fit the bill there.

so technically this isnt a 'proper' rye wash but i think its what i am looking for to mix up my knock off bourbon. it will take some time but ill dig this up and post results.
Linno

Postby bt1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Linno,

That sounds really good...nice balance to it without the hassles of waiting. I'd be keen to see how a heavier malt changes it...keep us posted please

Still reckon a corn whisky is a nice drop perhaps the variation suggested could make it someone's fave?

bt1
bt1

Postby Sam. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Linno wrote:after some mind changin and interweb hunting my rye experiment is going to be a 'tennesee style whiskey' recipe i found a distillery in US uses that is 80% corn 12% Rye 8% malt and 25%backset, i am going to use Caramalt, as the recipe i am using calls for maple charcoal filtering for that caremel note and i got no idea how to do that so i reckon the caramalt might fit the bill there.

so technically this isnt a 'proper' rye wash but i think its what i am looking for to mix up my knock off bourbon. it will take some time but ill dig this up and post results.

You talking about Jack Daniels or somewhere else? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't think as in highly doubt you are going to get any maple overtone by using caramalt. you would be infinity more likely to get it by buying some maple , charring it and aging with it or even by drizzling maple syrup in the spirit prior to aging
crow

Next

Return to The Mash tun