All Grain Bourbon

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: All Grain Bourbon

Postby OzKev » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Brendan wrote:
TheMechwarrior wrote:Thanks for the great write up Brendan!

Another recipe for me to try.
I noticed a few peeps talk about milling/grinding, since I'm new to stilling with only a few sugar washes under my belt I don't have a mill/grinder as yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Mech.

Depends what you're after...I get all my grain (Barley, Wheat, Rye) milled at the HBS where I buy it.

Some do buy their own grain mill for at home, and there are a few to choose from but you wouldn't want to run corn through them. Look at MaltMuncher, Monster Mills, Krankenstein, Mashmaster Mini Milll (?)...there's heaps...

If you want corn into flour for bourbon, you will need a $50 corona mill to finish it off...

Why would you not run corn through a grain mill? I've got a Monster Mill mm2 and have been putting corn through it (55kg so far). It is a lot more load on the motor, but the mill itself seems happy. Should I stop doing it? I did think of a corona mill, but I thought for 10-15kg at a time would take hours.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 pm

Sweet!
Thanks, I just didn't know where to start looking as I'd never heard of grinding/milling grains.

Cheers.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:59 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:I'd never heard of grinding/milling grains.

Whaat?! :scared-eek:

There's not one professional spirit in the world (that I know of) made with un-milled barley, corn, wheat, or rye... :wtf:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Sorry Kev, I didn't see your post...

As far as I know the top end version of the monster mill, the 3 roller one, is suitable for corn...but as for other grain mills, the recommendation is just that you will shorten the life of the mill. I'd say you're fine with the MM2 though, as you do have one of the better mills on the market. From all reports, the barleycrusher and MaltMuncher mills common in Australia should not have corn run through them...
Brendan

Postby stretch69 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

OzKev wrote:
Brendan wrote:
TheMechwarrior wrote:Thanks for the great write up Brendan!

Another recipe for me to try.
I noticed a few peeps talk about milling/grinding, since I'm new to stilling with only a few sugar washes under my belt I don't have a mill/grinder as yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Mech.

Depends what you're after...I get all my grain (Barley, Wheat, Rye) milled at the HBS where I buy it.

Some do buy their own grain mill for at home, and there are a few to choose from but you wouldn't want to run corn through them. Look at MaltMuncher, Monster Mills, Krankenstein, Mashmaster Mini Milll (?)...there's heaps...

Did you upgrade to the SS rollers? , I was looking at that mill yesterday.
Brendan cleared up for me the corn milling a few posts back

If you want corn into flour for bourbon, you will need a $50 corona mill to finish it off...

Why would you not run corn through a grain mill? I've got a Monster Mill mm2 and have been putting corn through it (55kg so far). It is a lot more load on the motor, but the mill itself seems happy. Should I stop doing it? I did think of a corona mill, but I thought for 10-15kg at a time would take hours.
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:48 pm

Brendan wrote:
TheMechwarrior wrote:I'd never heard of grinding/milling grains.

Whaat?! :scared-eek:

There's not one professional spirit in the world (that I know of) made with un-milled barley, corn, wheat, or rye... :wtf:

:crying-blue:

Did I forget to mention I was a noob with only sugar wash and cordial waters experience? I was only ever interested in neutrals.
I'm coming round to the mash world so please be gentle with me :D
I'll be less noobish in time.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Haha all good, that's what this thread is about. It's difficult but worth the result if you can persevere :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby Frothwizard » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:01 pm

I thought I'd give the cracked corn a go in the ole Thermomix and see what it could do with it as I don't have a mill lying around. It'll do roughly half a kilo of corn in 30 seconds.

I have no idea what that averages out to be on a wash like this or how quick a normal mill will do it...

Cracked.jpg

Flour.jpg

Is this the consistency you got when you got the wash past 1.08+ Brendan?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Not quite Frothy, but similar...Mine is mostly flour a little courser than your pic there, with a few little pieces getting through every now and then.

But what you've got there is how they make bourbon :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Get yourself a fine strainer bag (I use a BIAB bag), to filter any solids from the wash after fermentation.

edit: What I mean is that I don't get it that good, but that's what you want :D
Brendan

Postby stretch69 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:53 am

Frothwizard wrote:I thought I'd give the cracked corn a go in the ole Thermomix and see what it could do with it as I don't have a mill lying around. It'll do roughly half a kilo of corn in 30 seconds.

I have no idea what that averages out to be on a wash like this or how quick a normal mill will do it...

Cracked.jpg

Flour.jpg

That's crazy!,

Those thermomix's are pretty expensive, are you worried you'll fuck it up after a while? :o
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby Frothwizard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:04 am

stretch69 wrote:
Frothwizard wrote:I thought I'd give the cracked corn a go in the ole Thermomix and see what it could do with it as I don't have a mill lying around. It'll do roughly half a kilo of corn in 30 seconds.

Cracked.jpg

Flour.jpg

That's crazy!,

Those thermomix's are pretty expensive, are you worried you'll fuck it up after a while? :o

Yeah the cost vs effort ratio probably isn't the same as with a drill/mill. At about 2K a pop, the Thermo's aren't exactly a 'must have' item, but when you've got a wife that doesn't know much about cooking and really wants to make decent meals, they are definitely useful.

...They just happen to make really good flour from whatever grains you've got.

As for breaking down, it DID get a bit warm after a few experiments but it's rated to 120 degrees and it got nowhere near that when I was milling in it. Also, because they are so expensive, they have a killer warranty. The machine itself might possibly be lifetime but the blades are only 5 years or something...I forget the specifics cause my sister is the Thermomix rep and, like Tupperware, you buy them from the rep and any issues THEY deal with it, not you.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 am

SWMBO has a 'Froothie' blender... Not as expensive as the Thermomix (still $800 or something) but still pretty bloody good. Lifetime warranty etc. Turns grains into flour quick smart :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Hava » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Ran my own version of today and tasted as it went. WOW!!! Fresh tasty and better than anything you could ever dream of buying! Have to agree that going down this track is about taste and not volume.
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby Brendan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Hava wrote:Ran my own version of today and tasted as it went. WOW!!! Fresh tasty and better than anything you could ever dream of buying! Have to agree that going down this track is about taste and not volume.

Great to hear Hava. :clap:

Although it's a commonly used phrase that all grain gives lower yields...the better your mashing process, the better your yield.

I mean I get 40L @ 1.065 (because I choose to, I actually hit 1.080 and water it down)....and 40L @ 8% is 40L @ 8% whether it's made on a sugarhead or from grain. Obviously granulated sugar is 100% sugar by weight, compared to grains which can be around 60% by weight...but one is pure sugar and one is just produce, so that's understandable :-D

I reckon once you've got the process down pat and it becomes easy instead of a chore, you won't go back to sugarheads again ;-)

I'm soon going to post up my 'easy' method for the novice to attempt all grain bourbon with limited equipment soon, so hopefully can get some more people to get on board and have a crack at basic mashing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:18 am

Brendan wrote:I'm soon going to post up my 'easy' method for the novice to attempt all grain bourbon with limited equipment soon, so hopefully can get some more people to get on board and have a crack at basic mashing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:romance-grouphug:

:!!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby davecuds » Thu May 15, 2014 1:06 am

Hey Brendan, nice work mate.
I'm loving your detailed tutorials. Cheers.
What pump do you use to circulate your hot water from your boiler? Im gonna try set up something similar
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 15, 2014 11:29 am

davecuds wrote:Hey Brendan, nice work mate.
I'm loving your detailed tutorials. Cheers.
What pump do you use to circulate your hot water from your boiler? Im gonna try set up something similar

Iv'e been thinking about this... and instead of a pump (for my setup) I am thinking of fitting a 2in x 3/4 flanged and barbed fitting to the top of my still boiler and attaching a hose, filling with water and boiling to create steam that would then be ran through an immersion chiller/heater similar to Brendan's immersed in the mash tun.

The steam might condense, but I would have run off tube outside the shed.

Any thoughts on this method?

Fitting similar to this
Fitting.jpg

I just grind my grains in one of these
Untitled.jpg

Does the trick and grains don't get hot at all like I thought they might :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby DIYdistiller » Fri May 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Brilliant stuff. Thanks!
DIYdistiller

equipment: None just yet

Postby Hava » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Howdy!

How many plates on a Bubbler are recommended for a single run 3 or 4?
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby Sam. » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Hava wrote:Howdy!

How many plates on a Bubbler are recommended for a single run 3 or 4?

4 is standard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun