All grain scotch whisky, to turboclear?

all about mashing and fermenting grains

All grain scotch whisky, to turboclear?

Postby deathroll » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi all.
Have a beautiful AG scotch wash fermenting away, first time using peated malt instead of adding essence after, so I'm looking to distill this best I can.
When running an AG wash does anybody use turboclear or anything similar through their wash beforehand.
Thanks.
deathroll

equipment: Keg Boiler
Keg Pot Still.

Re: All grain scotch whisky, to turboclear?

Postby 1 2many » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Mate that is like carlton and collingwood getting together for a party It doesn't happen. :laughing-rolling:

If your going to make allgrain washes mate don't go near any turbo stuff.

Btw why not pop into the welcome center and introduce yourself. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby deathroll » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:49 pm

I think you mean like the roosters and the rabbits? I don't follow A-league. ;)
Thanks for the reply, yeah I have stayed far away from any turbo, sugar, extract for all my beer and scotch from the start. I'm not super green but still new with a bit to learn. I've made some amazing AG beers but I have a thing for scotch and just can't seem to get a super smooth distillate yet. Stumbled upon a video of an AG wash being turbo cleared and thought I'd make sure it shouldn't be going on. But still, do you clear with anything (gelatin etc) or de-gas as I saw in this video.
Also I will drop by and introduce myself. I thought I must have already as this was one of the few forums I remembered name/password since I lurk around on so many different sites gobbling up info.. But I think when I replied to this post it said I only have 1 post to my name
Thanks, deathroll .
deathroll

Keg Pot Still.

Postby the Doctor » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:54 am

Never turbo clear.... gelatine is unnecessary. Gravity and patience are your friends... running a cloudy wash does not produce a cloudy spirit.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:25 am

Put the fermenter in the fridge for a couple of days works with beer.
wynnum1

Postby MacStill » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 am

the Doctor wrote:Never turbo clear.... gelatine is unnecessary. Gravity and patience are your friends... running a cloudy wash does not produce a cloudy spirit.
Doc

My last single malt I ran looked more like coffee from squeezing the grain bed, after about 8 months on oak it's not too bad and a lot better than any other I've made at a similar age :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby deathroll » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks everyone. Just picked up a freezer chest at work for nothing. will chill and run 1 at a time.
On that note, What temperature should I set the chill too? just like lagering a beer?
deathroll

Keg Pot Still.

Postby 1 2many » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:22 pm

deathroll wrote:Thanks everyone. Just picked up a freezer chest at work for nothing. will chill and run 1 at a time.
On that note, What temperature should I set the chill too? just like lagering a beer?

Yeah that will work great mate, under 10 C should do it nicely. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Cooling it will make it clear quicker but you will also burn more power/gas getting it up to temp straight out the fridge :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to The Mash tun