Diastatic power & Briess Rye

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Diastatic power & Briess Rye

Postby viking » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:18 pm

G'day All,

Hope someone smarter than I can help.

I've recently been experimenting with AG. Whiskey & Rye Bourbon.
I was under the impression that Rye had a very low diastatic power- so some malted barley should be added to help with conversion.

Now I read that to convert themselves malt needs a DP of 30 degrees Lintner. With some base malts getting up to 180. I have just used Briess Rye along with corn and a small amount of barley. Briess rye has a DP of 105 - so I could do a 100% Rye - without any enzyme.

Can anyone point in the direction of some credible info? If I can go 100% - I'll give it a go, but I don't want to waste a sack of rye in the process.

Cheers fellas!
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Re: Diastatic power & Briess Rye

Postby res » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:29 am

If you can't find the info maybe try a half batch and check for complete conversion, if it fails mash in barley for the other half.
If it works more rye. :D
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Re: Diastatic power & Briess Rye

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:45 am

G'day Viking,

The conversion abilities (diastatic power) of Rye & Barley vary from supplier to supplier. We use Joe White for our Malted Barely & Malted Rye and the Barley is always a higher in diastatic power (attached the typical analysis we receive with our deliveries).

BA PO 6239 Bintani Lot 3 Pilsener 7804 (PO 6239).pdf

Our rule of thumb for our Rye Whiskey (high% malted Rye and low % corn) is to add liquid alpha/beta enzymes while mashing to enhance/assist the conversion (about 200ml per 200 litres). Rye typically only converts around 50% of sugars and our returns are lower than our normal bourbon (Corn, Barley & Rye). Don't forget to iodine test that the conversion is finished :D

Well done on going down the AG path! Once you try an aged product from your AG, you will wonder why the hell you did anything else :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Return to The Mash tun