First feints run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First feints run

Postby Ronker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:39 pm

G'day all,

so I'm gearing up for my first feints run, anything I should be doing different to my standard twp runs twice distilled, cuts etc

also I'm nearly out of distilling conditioner, was about to buy more but wondered... is it really necessary in twp, thats all I ever make?

cheers
Ronker

equipment: Pure Distilling - 'Spirit Maker' Reflux Rig
Pure Distilling - Pot Still

Re: First feints run

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:44 pm

Unnecessary, let the wash clear and you'll have no dramas. Run the feints slow and make cuts as usual. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:30 pm

I would not use distilling conditioner on any feints or spirit run,its purpose is aimed at fresh wash runs like rum and all grain or turdbo yeast wich can foam and puke due ta proteins and other unfermentables present in fresh wash ,if ya need it for these I would go for a more natural one like vege or olive oil or even butter ,I would be sureprized if many use it on TPW at all,if its cleared well.I allways clean the packing as well be it ceramics or scrubbies and if its copper mesh soak and rinse with citric acid solution,befor any spirit run,then as Tas said run it slow and make cuts as usual,and make sure its diluted to 40%abv or less for the run.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Ronker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:14 pm

OK thanks guys,

I will no longer buy conditioner..

I double distill twp, do good cuts.

I have the distilling still not 500, so not really a go fast or go slow, its settle n run, love it, no buggering with temps, nothing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

cheers
Ronker

Postby Ronker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:30 pm

I also run through carbon on completion, but i'm not sure its A - necessary, or B- imparts a taste from the carbon

just been swayed by the you gotta filter mob

opinions anyone??
Ronker

Postby EziTasting » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Ronker wrote:I also run through carbon on completion, but i'm not sure its A - necessary, or B- imparts a taste from the carbon

just been swayed by the you gotta filter mob

opinions anyone??

Mate, when you read thru the newbie section, you'll discover ALL the Turbo stuff is unnecessary! Some 'choose' to carbon filter but only to clean the atPW more. I don't filter at all and have no issues...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby PeterC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi,
I have just started this hobby and ran a single 25L wash of turbo and a single of TPW a few weeks back. Did big cuts because I am practising and my little still is not so good. The turbo smelled and tasted of yeast. Put it through carbon and could not notice much benefit from it at all. Airing helped more. So my thoughts are that so long as you do good cuts, carbon is of not much benefit. Plus I don't think using carbon to clean up the heads or tails in the making of the best quality is the right thing to do for me. The TPW was amazingly better. Did two 25L stripping runs then combined for a spirit run just to get my hand in. I only have hearts of about 2.5L at 90% ABV but I am happy at the moment. Still working to refine the process. Have 75L TPW wash on the go, should be ready next weekend.

See a FSD Neutraliser in my future as 2 inch Boka's do seem slow now and it is so tempting to open the tap some more. :naughty:
Regards,
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Lowie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi Peter,
That sounds about right. I have a 25l reflux still as well and get the same results using tpw. Are you modifying your still to make it a pot still for stripping? If not, there's a thread somewhere here that explains how to do it.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby PeterC » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Lowie wrote:Hi Peter,
That sounds about right. I have a 25l reflux still as well and get the same results using tpw. Are you modifying your still to make it a pot still for stripping? If not, there's a thread somewhere here that explains how to do it.

Thanks Lowie. For stripping I will try my small reflux still again with the packing (ss saddles) removed and just some copper netting at the top. Reflux a bit, take the foreshots off, then run fast. If I am not happy with this might look at something like the FSD 2 inch pot still. Something where I can reuse the condenser and bends again.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Lowie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:46 am

PeterC wrote:
Lowie wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks Lowie. For stripping I will try my small reflux still again with the packing (ss saddles) removed and just some copper netting at the top. Reflux a bit, take the foreshots off, then run fast. If I am not happy with this might look at something like the FSD 2 inch pot still. Something where I can reuse the condenser and bends again.

If you bypass your reflux condenser you can strip faster too! I can take some happy snaps if that's will help you.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 am

Lower, that depends on what type of reflux still it is. You can't bypass the reflux on an LM or a T500.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby PeterC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Yes mine is LM like a Boka so needs the reflux condenser as it is the only one. Probably still refluxes a bit as the collection point probably floods unless I turn the power down.
PeterC

Postby Lowie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Lower, that depends on what type of reflux still it is. You can't bypass the reflux on an LM or a T500.

So you cannot ever get flavoured spirit out of these units? That's pretty ordinary then!
Lowie

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:15 am

You can get flavoured spirits out of an LM (ie: Boka), but the T500 has plastic components that won't cope with the temperature if you don't run the RC.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby azzman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:54 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Lower, that depends on what type of reflux still it is. You can't bypass the reflux on an LM or a T500.

with the T500 but i wouldnt as it breaks like you said butfor anyone interested, the PC water outlet is at the top of the PC and then the RC inlet is in the top of the column and there is about 150mm of 1/4" hose connecting the 2. if you want to bypass the RC just change the 150mm joiner with a longer one tat doesnt go to the RC.

All well and good and works but it still has the plastic cap that makes this impossible due to it breaking. i bet this is why its plastic and not a stainless steel cap, to stop people using it as a pot/reflux still
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Postby copperhead road » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi azzman,
So was your first feints run a success?
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Return to Beginners Questions