This thread sinks....NOT!

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: This thread sinks....NOT!

Postby Benny_Stitch » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks again mate, gonna have to get another FV and get this one on the run!
Benny_Stitch

equipment: Air Still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Mate if I'm not mistaken your a mechanic right and tig or arc welding up SS is part of your business right for exhaust work and if so mate we are on the curve of helping you make your first pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you didn't see the connection it's all part of the learning mate so go find some SS tube and lets get started :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Benny_Stitch » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:58 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Mate if I'm not mistaken your a mechanic right and tig or arc welding up SS is part of your business right for exhaust work and if so mate we are on the curve of helping you make your first pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you didn't see the connection it's all part of the learning mate so go find some SS tube and lets get started :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan

oooh if only, im actually a Motor Trimmer / upholsterer so welding is a bit out of my skillset haha.
I can make stuff look pretty, dunno how that will help hahahaha

Cheers for the idea but!
Benny_Stitch

Postby Benny_Stitch » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:31 am

So guys back to my original question, i will hopefully be running my first WBAB through the Air still this coming weekend....
I'll be double distilling so how can I recognise my cuts with a minimal sense of smell?
Is there any particular tastes i should look out for with a WBAB when doing my cuts to differentiate between heads / hearts / tails?

Cheers
Last edited by Benny_Stitch on Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benny_Stitch

Postby BigRig » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:13 am

I personally trust my taste more than my nose.

Starting out you want to discard first 50ml as fores then collect the spirit in 100ml lots using multiple jars and put them aside for 24hrs to air.

Starting in the middle, take a sample from the jar and water it down to 25-30% (lower abv = more noticeable flavour) and taste it, if its nice keep it, move to the next jar and repeat working your way down towards tails, then go back the other way towards heads. You will soon know what flavour you like and dont like. If you are unsure about the sample, leave it out and put it in your feints - if you get greedy with cuts you will only stuff it.
Last edited by BigRig on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Benny_Stitch » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 am

Awesome thanks mate, so no specific tastes to look out for? cardboard etc?
Just go off what is good to my taste?
Benny_Stitch

Postby BigRig » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 am

Yeah pretty much. You will definitely notice the wet dog / wet cardboard flavour, this is an indication of tails and is not a nice flavour. How much of it you keep though will be subject to your tastes though.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby RC Al » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:38 pm

Everyones a bit different, but heads for me is apple, makes apple brandy tricky to do cuts on lols
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 am

For me heads are more about prickly tongue feel, not alcohol burn just not pleasant and definitely smells of nail polish remover. I have never smelt wet dog/wet cardboard, my wife can, bur it definitely does not taste nice lol. If I doubt I always go one more sample and you get to a point of “oh yeah that is what I wanted”
It definitely gets easier the more you practice oh and don’t swallow all the samples. Another tell tail for me is when I get to a jar and say, he’ll I ain’t spitting this one out, I know I have found the spot lol.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Benny_Stitch » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:51 pm

Wellsy wrote:For me heads are more about prickly tongue feel, not alcohol burn just not pleasant and definitely smells of nail polish remover. I have never smelt wet dog/wet cardboard, my wife can, bur it definitely does not taste nice lol. If I doubt I always go one more sample and you get to a point of “oh yeah that is what I wanted”
It definitely gets easier the more you practice oh and don’t swallow all the samples. Another tell tail for me is when I get to a jar and say, he’ll I ain’t spitting this one out, I know I have found the spot lol.

Dont swallow? you must be married too lol :)) :)) :))
Benny_Stitch

Postby Benny_Stitch » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:54 pm

Evening crew

I just ran my first stripping run for the WBAB i put down on the 19/11/21
Starting SG was 1.090 and it finished up at .990 with an ABV of 10.5%

Loaded the airstill with 4L wash and collected down to 20%.... I got just over 1L

Does this sound about right for a WBAB?

im used to turbos and normally pull about 1.5L from a stripping run.

:music-deathmetal:
Benny_Stitch

Postby chipboy » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:58 pm

Yes is about right for it, just batch no 2 with some 2nd gen and it worked a treat. Go as slow as you can it works best.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby Benny_Stitch » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:09 pm

chipboy wrote:Yes is about right for it, just batch no 2 with some 2nd gen and it worked a treat. Go as slow as you can it works best.

Cheers mate, im keen to get a second gen going!
Benny_Stitch

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions