Semi Beginner with a few questions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Semi Beginner with a few questions

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 pm

Carol wrote:This is the thread on my FSD 2" boka and pot.
Modular so cost effective. Produces high quality neutral. Slow compared to bigger setups but suits me well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12638

Wellsy started with a 4 " FSD pot before upgrading. Look for his threads for more information.

Cheers
Carol

I love the hoses in the pool, recycling water and heating the pool at the same time. :D

I'm defiantly going to look at getting both in the future, have this bad habit of jumping in then finding better upgrades I should of got from the start, did the same with my car upgrade :))
schoolofmonkey

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Still

Postby Carol » Fri May 20, 2022 6:19 pm

no pool heating to speak of- it is a very big pool! Water out is warmish but not hot.

We have moved to a house with no pool. Before we moved I ran the still a lot to make a stockpile of neutral. I am thinking of running the still next when the back lawn needs watering!
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby schoolofmonkey » Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 pm

Carol wrote:no pool heating to speak of- it is a very big pool! Water out is warmish but not hot.

We have moved to a house with no pool. Before we moved I ran the still a lot to make a stockpile of neutral. I am thinking of running the still next when the back lawn needs watering!

Because I wasn't letting anyone use water while I was running the still they used the warm water come of it, don't need to worry now I have the pump
I have a 20L stainless steal bucket that I dump my stripping runs into, so it's just easier to pour it back into the still once I clean it out.
schoolofmonkey

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri May 20, 2022 7:02 pm

Have a look at the bottle recycling centres for those 2 litre port bottles as they do come in handy for storing 90% neutral, I was lucky enough to grab a heap of them and now everyone is in use as I found for my fruit experiments they do make for good aging vessels.

I also use TPW for making my neutral and now I just do a couple runs over 4 plates and thinking of doing a final run with the packed section but after 2 runs over 4 plates it has come out pretty nicely and tasteless.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby schoolofmonkey » Sat May 21, 2022 3:43 pm

So I spoke to my Uncle, rang me last night mum's down for a visit, he has one of the Still Spirits pot still copper condenser, he was using a few still spirits things, but bought a Pure distilling kit, said it was easier for him (getting older with mobility problems), he likes it, so he had it sitting in a cupboard, didn't have the Alembic copper dome, going to send it back with mum, so I'll give that a go for a stripping run, can't hurt, plus won't look a gift horse in the mouth :D

I'm defiantly going with the 5 Star Boka Still 2″ and the 2″ Pot Still when I have the spare $$$, stilling, cars and computers, yeah why can't I pick cheaper hobbies :))
schoolofmonkey

Postby schoolofmonkey » Mon May 23, 2022 8:01 pm

FFV started, it took off pretty quickly actually, nice foamy head..
schoolofmonkey

Postby RC Al » Mon May 23, 2022 8:23 pm

Exchange foamey for beafy https://youtu.be/Ikzmjlo8YMY
I had a chugga, had the eyeroll down pat lols

Funny thing about the ad, first take charger stalls, cop car runs up the rear, ad people pay for repairs to both cars :))
Last edited by RC Al on Mon May 23, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby schoolofmonkey » Tue May 24, 2022 9:25 am

RC Al wrote:Exchange foamey for beafy https://youtu.be/Ikzmjlo8YMY
I had a chugga, had the eyeroll down pat lols

Funny thing about the ad, first take charger stalls, cop car runs up the rear, ad people pay for repairs to both cars :))

I don't know what to say about that other than I have new model chugga's with the same looking drivers do the same against my 500kw JDM sleeper :))
schoolofmonkey

Postby bluc » Wed May 25, 2022 6:21 pm

Is there such a thing as cheap hobby???
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Carol » Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm

Hi Bluc
Hobbies can be cheap like collecting used beer bottle tops but distilling is much more fun!
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby schoolofmonkey » Thu May 26, 2022 8:26 pm

bluc wrote:Is there such a thing as cheap hobby???

Collecting sea shells maybe, but I guess you'd have to travel because going to the same beach will lead to the same sea shells... :))
schoolofmonkey

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions