3" boka LM build

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: 3" boka LM build

Postby maheel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:48 am

Start thinking about a pot striper still head for your tpw so then u can run more low wines for a bigger finished product collection amount.

It saves u Time and u get a bigger hearts section with say 25l of 40% in the still.
maheel

Postby haze » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 am

Wooo got 95% out of still from last night :D It smells a bit.. hmm sweet and weird. Need to keep working at getting this neutral right.. i think i will do stripping run i keep hearing about next time.

To that end.. a few questions

Would i be able to do a stripping run on my boka with scrubbers in place?

and if so, Would the process be..

Run the still to temp. Remove heads 250ml, Fully open output valve and collect as fast as possible.

When would i stop collecting? do i have to worry about still temp ? Or just leave output valve open and collect everything until it stops and let still get to ~90degrees.

Interesting thing i learned today. I added tap water to dilute my 95% and it went cloudy. Then i read its some reaction and if you add alcohol to the water instead it wont go cloudy. Sure enough, clear.
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby R-sole » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:57 am

If it goes cloudy you've got tails or some other oils in there.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby haze » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 pm

right. oils. it didnt matter in the end it smelled and tasted foul ! so its gone back into the still. learning experience.

Im doing a stripping run now but i dont really know what im doing. I have put another wash in the still and added all the undrinkable booze i made in the previous run.

Ive left the packing in there because its a pain to get out.

Ive let it heat up, valve fully open and ive collected 3.5litres so far.

Temperature is 90 to 92.5 deg.

Alc collections show its about 75 to 80% (mind you the collections were still hot)

Am i on the right path?
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby haze » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:09 am

Ok so ive finished the stripping run. Ended up with 8.4 litres of collections that range from 75% to 30% alc.

Temperature ranged from 90 to 99 degrees.

It took 3 hours. It was a 25lt wash and the booze from a previously failed still run.

Did it take so long because i was running a tuned boka? im starting to think i should build a pot still for this purpose to save time and power costs.

Anyways.. now ive got a stripped 1 and 1/2 washs, should i water it down to 40% alc and then run still in reflux final run? Thoughts on adding bicarb soda before i do final run?
haze

Postby Kal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 am

haze wrote:To that end.. a few questions

Would i be able to do a stripping run on my boka with scrubbers in place?

and if so, Would the process be..

Run the still to temp. Remove heads 250ml, Fully open output valve and collect as fast as possible.

When would i stop collecting? do i have to worry about still temp ? Or just leave output valve open and collect everything until it stops and let still get to ~90degrees.

I just run a double bok distill for my neutral. For my stripping run I keep all scrubbers in place and run it fast (not fully open though), with enough reflux to keep the ABV up high (high 70's temp wise). By the time the temp creeps up into the low 80's it's usually stripped.
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby haze » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks kal that helps. From the way you do it i think i stripped mine a little too fast and probably carried over some tastes from before.

Ill give your way a try next time. Im running a spirit run now after watering it down to 30%. Hope i get something drinkable
haze

Postby haze » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Fail.

The aroma is clean but the taste is foul. undrinkable. Theres something unnatural about it. And after checking what a friend thought i think ive got a theory.

I made up the 2 washs in the shed and they fermented fine. Where i think i went wrong was using a brand new garden hose to fill with water. I think some tastes came through the hose. :angry-banghead:

After distilling it twice pretty much, the taste is still there and awful. I think i might have to ditch all the alc ive collected so far and start again from scratch with new wash.
haze

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 am

haze wrote:I think i might have to ditch all the alc ive collected so far and start again from scratch with new wash.

I wouldnt throw it out just yet.......you might find some other problem and wish you hadnt.
haze wrote:It took 3 hours. It was a 25lt wash and the booze from a previously failed still run.

I cant see that it was nessesary to put the already stripped stuff back through......thats one reason it took so long.
haze wrote: i think i stripped mine a little too fast and probably carried over some tastes from before.

A stripping run should be fast and is always going to carry over flavours if there are any to carry over. Your just trying to concentrate the Alc that you have and remove the water and some other impurities when stripping.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions