Confused about what is best yeast

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Confused about what is best yeast

Postby seehuusen » Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 am

Buzz wrote:Beer yeast that impart flavour like Hefeweizen or Coopers do so in the bottle fermentation stage

Actually :-B This statement is wrong, beer yeast impart esters in the first 3 days of fermentation. After this, you can raise the fermentation temperature, with none or little detriment to the flavour of the finished beer.
The chemical precursors for the esters are created primarily in the first 24 hours of fermentation, also known as the lag phase. This is the reason that pitch rate is important, to control that lag phase not taking too long, creating too many esters (some of which have a bad taste).
Esters are a chemical bond, and I am certain that these impart flavour in distillates too. How much, well, that'd depend on your still.

Here's a good description
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... s-in-beer/
And a more science based explanation
https://beersensoryscience.wordpress.co ... 04/esters/

What you're referring to, is the yeast sediment left when doing a secondary fermentation, also known as bottle conditioning. This does add flavour, especially when stirred up, but that's the flavour of yeast, not esters.

Cheers,
Martin
seehuusen

equipment: 50L 2" Full Copper Pot Still. Thumper in the planning.

Postby TasSpirits » Thu May 25, 2017 5:37 pm

I use Safspirit Malt Whisky Yeast for Single Malt, American Whiskey Yeast for American style Whiskies, Bakers yeast for Rum, EC1118 for neutral and wine yeast for Brandy. I always control the fermentation temp and get consistent results, I currently have 6 experimental Single Malts aging, all made the same except for the yeast, I used different Beer yeasts and Malt Whisky yeast as a control sample, time will tell with them. After playing with a few Rum yeasts I have found that Bakers suits me. Have a play around, find something that suits you, learn to make it consistently, then experiment. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Minpac » Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Tas, that sounds like an awesome experiment...Once you're ready to share results, that deserves it's own post!
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby TasSpirits » Thu May 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Minpac wrote:Tas, that sounds like an awesome experiment...Once you're ready to share results, that deserves it's own post!

Another 6 months at least. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Kenster » Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 pm

See'... nice read.. thx...i like the bit about a tall/long fermenter and impact on esters..do we ever stop learning. So Copperheads query has been well and truly covered...there are yeasts and then, there are yeasts.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby copperhead road » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I use Safspirit Malt Whisky Yeast for Single Malt, American Whiskey Yeast for American style Whiskies, Bakers yeast for Rum, EC1118 for neutral and wine yeast for Brandy. I always control the fermentation temp and get consistent results, I currently have 6 experimental Single Malts aging, all made the same except for the yeast, I used different Beer yeasts and Malt Whisky yeast as a control sample, time will tell with them. After playing with a few Rum yeasts I have found that Bakers suits me. Have a play around, find something that suits you, learn to make it consistently, then experiment. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanx Tas, your all over it like white on rice. You have set me up for whiskey, scotch and rum nice work buddy and thank you for sharing your experience " Tip Top" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 27, 2017 12:01 pm

seehuusen wrote:
Buzz wrote:Beer yeast that impart flavour like Hefeweizen or Coopers do so in the bottle fermentation stage

Actually :-B This statement is wrong, beer yeast impart esters in the first 3 days of fermentation. After this, you can raise the fermentation temperature, with none or little detriment to the flavour of the finished beer.
The chemical precursors for the esters are created primarily in the first 24 hours of fermentation, also known as the lag phase. This is the reason that pitch rate is important, to control that lag phase not taking too long, creating too many esters (some of which have a bad taste).
Esters are a chemical bond, and I am certain that these impart flavour in distillates too. How much, well, that'd depend on your still.

Here's a good description
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... s-in-beer/
And a more science based explanation
https://beersensoryscience.wordpress.co ... 04/esters/

What you're referring to, is the yeast sediment left when doing a secondary fermentation, also known as bottle conditioning. This does add flavour, especially when stirred up, but that's the flavour of yeast, not esters.

Cheers,
Martin

Quite interesting reads! Then followed the crumbs to other articles...

Silly Question: why can't one just procure the desired esters to add to your low wines? Would that not remove some of the 'accidental' development of undesirable flavours...?!?!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Azza76 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:48 am

here is some info i found on comparing Rum yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:

We made a 2 gallon batch of rum mash using 3 pounds of pure cane sugar and 2 pints of unsulfured molasses (with a potential alcohol of 12.9%). We then split the mash into 4 glass carboy's and added a different yeast to each container.

We tested bread yeast, champagne yeast, super start distillers yeast, and Turbo Yeast.

We let the batches ferment for almost 3 weeks (to make sure we had maxed out the potential of each yeast), then we conducted a taste test. We were never able to actually distill the batches of wash because mother nature just wouldn't cooperate with us (it was too damn cold outside).

Our assumption was that the bread yeast had not met its alcohol potential and would be sweeter than the rest of the samples due to excess sugar. We also assumed that the turbo yeast might taste and smell a bit funky, because that's what a lot of people report about it. We also have some experience with turbo's ourselves and have noted these characteristics. We thought the champagne yeast would be dry, and weren't sure how the super start would taste among the rest of the samples. We hadn't taken a final specific gravity reading before the taste test, so the alcohol content of the samples was not known to us as we were sampling them.

As it turns out, our assumptions were dead on, with one surprising exception. Here's what we noted:
Turbo Yeast

We tested Liquor Quick's Turbo Pure X-Press (dehydrated), which is rated to produce up to 18% alcohol. According to the manufacturer, this yeast was created to produce "a very clean wash with minimal congeners." We disagree with the first part of that statement.

The wash was anything but clean. It smelled and tasted absolutely awful, most likely due to excess nutrients that weren't used by the yeast. In defense of Liquor Quick, perhaps if we had added more sugar and the yeast were able to work longer (using more of the nutrients) the wash would not have tasted so bad.

We actually agree with the second part of the above mentioned statement. The wash contained very few congeners. Congeners is a fancy term for all of the tasty ingredients found in the mash. The more congeners, the more mash flavor, the less congeners, the more devoid of taste the wash and final product will have. There was hardly any trace of the cane and molasses flavors. However, remnants of the nutrients were still very present and the wash tasted and smelled terrible.

In summary, we don't recommend turbo yeast for making high quality spirits. If you're making gas for your lawnmower, turbo will work just fine. Otherwise, we recommend you avoid it at all costs.
Champagne Yeast

We tested Red Star's Pasteur Champagne Yeast (dehydrated). The champagne wash sample was extremely dry. Molasses and cane flavors from the wash were almost completely gone. A very slight bitter taste from the molasses was all that remained, which is definitely not the best part of the molasses flavor. The yeast itself also imparted little to no flavor to the wash, making this sample extremely clean. If one is striving to make a neutral grain spirit, such as vodka, we think champage yeast would work very well. However, it is now apparent to us that this yeast is not appropriate for flavorful spirits such as corn whiskey, full bodied, authentic rums, etc..
Super Start Distillers Yeast

We tested Crosby & Baker's Super Start Distillers Yeast, now known simply as Distillers Yeast (UPC: CB 9904A*). This stuff is available by the pound and is given no description by the maker. Over the years this is the yeast we've become accustomed to using, partly because it's sold by the pound (and It takes a long time to use an entire pound of yeast) and partly because we experienced what we felt were good results. Our assumption was that this yeast was going to blow the competition away. However, we were wrong.

The Super Start wash tasted almost exactly like the champagne yeast wash. They were actually a bit difficult to tell apart. The only difference was that the champagne yeast had a slightly cleaner taste and smell. Yeasty smells and flavors were a bit more prevalent in the SS sample. In our opinion, because these samples didn't taste anything like cane or molasses, these yeasts are probably better suited for making high alcohol, neutral grain spirits than they are for making sippin' whiskeys. Because the champagne yeast had a cleaner taste than the Super Start, we'd venture to say that it'd be the better choice between the two.

The performance of Super Start in this experiment is actually good and bad news to us. It's bad news because we have a lot of Super Start on hand. It's good news because we're always looking for ways to make better whiskey, and moving away from SS is an obvious change we need to make. Accordingly, due to the results of this experiment, we now no longer exclusively recommend Super Start as our yeast of choice. We're currently planning our next yeast experiment and will re-test champagne, super start, and a few other high alcohol yeasts to determine which we think is the best for making high alcohol, neutral grain spirits.
Bread Yeast

The surprise of the day was bread yest. We tested Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast. Our initial assumption was correct: the bread yeast tasted slightly sweeter than the others. Much more of the cane sugar and molasses flavors were present. Overall, this was actually the best tasting wash, which we kind of half expected. We assumed that the bread yeast sample tasted better because the yeast had hardly done anything and hadn't produced much alcohol. However, we were dead wrong.

The ABV of this sample was on par with the rest of the samples (see below). This means that bread yeast had managed to produce as much alcohol as the rest of the yeasts, but had done so without stripping out as much of the natural mash flavors. This wash tasted great and we see no reason to recommend against using bread yeast for creating flavorful spirits. However, in our next experiment we're going to test bread yeast against other yeasts designed for crafting full bodied whiskeys.
Alcohol Yield

We determined potential alcohol using a beer hydrometer. We also did some calculations by hand to back up hydrometer readings (and to prove how smart we are). Also, our brix refractometer was missing on test day, which is the other reason for the hand calculations.

Our beer hydrometer displayed a starting gravity of 1.10, corresponding to a potential alcohol of 13%. Between the molasses and the cane sugar, we ended up adding a total of 969 grams of sugar to a total of 3785 grams of water, for a brix of 25.6 and a potential alcohol of 12.8%. Because the result of both calculations is so close we're very confident that the potential alcohol was somewhere around 12.9%.

The final gravity measurements of wash samples were almost identical. The samples were all within a half percent of 12.5% starting alcohol, with champagne being slightly higher than the rest. In other words, each yeast essentially maxed out its alcohol production potential by eating more or less all of the sugar present in the wash.

These results convey absolutely nothing meaningful about the alcohol production potential of champagne, turbo yest, and Super Start yeast. It's obvious that these yeasts should be able to produce 12.5% ABV or higher. If we wanted to compare the alcohol yield potential of these yeasts we'd need to bump up the sugar content of the wash and give the yeast samples more to work with.

However, the experiment sheds some interesting light on the alcohol production potential of bread yest. We assumed that bread yeast would have stalled out well before consuming all of the sugar in the mash. We can now say with confidence that bread yeast (at least the brand we used) is able to produce 12.5% starting ABV, and maybe even higher. This is surprising news to us, as our previous (limited) experience with bread yeast suggested a much lower potential ABV.
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 am

Nice work Azza!

Thank you.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun May 28, 2017 10:59 pm

The taste of the wash isn't always an indicator of how the distillate will turn out, but I have found that a tasty wash will usually produce a tasty product.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby seehuusen » Mon May 29, 2017 7:24 am

super interesting read, thanks for posting Azza :handgestures-thumbupleft:
seehuusen

equipment: 50L 2" Full Copper Pot Still. Thumper in the planning.

Postby 2deadly.308 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:54 am

TasSpirits wrote:I use Safspirit Malt Whisky Yeast for Single Malt, American Whiskey Yeast for American style Whiskies, Bakers yeast for Rum, EC1118 for neutral and wine yeast for Brandy. I always control the fermentation temp and get consistent results, I currently have 6 experimental Single Malts aging, all made the same except for the yeast, I used different Beer yeasts and Malt Whisky yeast as a control sample, time will tell with them. After playing with a few Rum yeasts I have found that Bakers suits me. Have a play around, find something that suits you, learn to make it consistently, then experiment. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How'd you go with this mate?
2deadly.308

equipment: .

50L keg boiler, 4800W

2" Potty

2" reflux

4" potty

4" 6 plate glass bubbler + 500mm packed section

Positive Mental Attitude

No friends

Postby daveskis » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:59 am

Im Still confused about yeasts and have been using Native Yeast/Wild Yeast in making wine.I think with good results.
daveskis

equipment: T500 Still

Postby Bob9863 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:09 pm

I use bajes yeast for rum it gives the best flavour, but I add citric asid and diamonim phosphate, adjust the pH level.
I also use strait back strap molasses and no suger, although I have used raw suger in the past with no ill effects.

The wash definitely doesn't have any sweetness left when done like that and I get the highest yields of any of my runs from my rum wash.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions