Dumbass question on fermenting.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Dumbass question on fermenting.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:30 pm

I feel like I know the answer, but I need to ask, since this is my first time round with a 205 litre fermenter.

I'm not sure how long it should take to finnish?

Would it be reasonable to expext it to finnish at or about the same time as a 60 liter fermenter I started at the same time?
emptyglass

Re: Dumbass question on fermenting.

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 pm

WineGlass wrote:Would it be reasonable to expext it to finnish at or about the same time as a 60 liter fermenter I started at the same time?

Yep.....should do provided temp and ingredent ratios are the same.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Yeah mate,mine usually finish in about 4-6 days,but that don't matter,coz they may sit for a month or 2 before I strip or run em,a little bit of a heads up though....DONT tip the rum lees out on the lawn,it kills it quick fuckin smart :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Ratios could be a bit different, but they live 18" away from each other.

204 is UJSSM, 60 litre is UJSSM with some malted barley. The barley would have to change things beyond my measuring ability.

I'm just trying to work out if a diferent volume changes fement times, all other things being equal

?

Hi Don, I use left over hot dunder as a weed killer around the shed. If I use it cold, it only seems to fetilise the bloody things.
emptyglass

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Me too,but I tipped the lees onto the lawn last Saturday,needed the fermenter to have a crack at making a neutral in Bertha,and I got a 3x2m dead patch beside the boat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 pm

But I put 60l of Dunder in the freezer for when I want to make some more rum :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Dunder from molasses wash is very acidic & will kill grass, lees on the other hand are full of nutrients that will promote growth.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Ohhh, Don. Please change that avitar.

I keep saying "don't look it in the eye!!", to myself.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Big Don wrote:Me too,but I tipped the lees onto the lawn last Saturday,needed the fermenter to have a crack at making a neutral in Bertha,and I got a 3x2m dead patch beside the boat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Ha! Less mowing :dance: :dance:

Theres good in everything.

McStill wrote:Dunder from molasses wash is very acidic & will kill grass, lees on the other hand are full of nutrients that will promote growth.

That would explian it. I put my spent corn on the compost heap, it seems to help, not hinder.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Big Don wrote:But I put 60l of Dunder in the freezer for when I want to make some more rum :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think I should do myself the justice of making some rum.

My memories of rum usually ended up in the gutter, or a black eye. But that was Bunderberg 20 odd years ago. Or my diabetic old man mixing it with no-name diet cola. Yummm- not! :puke-huge:

Tell me the stuff you make is better than the aforementioned crap....please!

I do sometimes enjoy a rum and cloves, but only in memory of him and skipper grandad. Dad would have only had bundy, but grandad would have been open to some bootleg.
Sorry, getting way of topic.
emptyglass

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Do it EG,I can't stand Bundy :puke-huge: but this stuff is great,just follow the recepie in T&T and can't go wrong,shit, if I can do it ......
Cane Toad

Postby QLD.Andy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 pm

A larger ferment will hold temps better than a small ferment.
With the high ambient temps of late you "could" run the risk of over heating.
Just a thought.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby emptyglass » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up QLD.Andy, I'll keep an eye on that.

Things have cooled off a little where I am, the fermenter is sitting at a cruizy 22c at the moment.

But if it did get hot, I'm tipping it would be a pain in the ass trying to drop that much wash down in temp.
emptyglass

Return to Beginners Questions