First ever TPW

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First ever TPW

Postby crow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi just put down TPW I didn't have enough white sugar 4kg so I used a kg raw + kg brown will this matter
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: First ever TPW

Postby MacStill » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:10 pm

It wont matter but your finished product might have a beautiful light rum taste to it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's pretty hard to make neutral from anything with molasses in it.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Rums good can live with that :-D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 pm

just wondering if this wash is suppose to be doing this , I pitched the yeast (lowan's premium bakers) around an hr ago and its going mental . Frothed up 80 mm and looks like a 3 day old beer brew on steroids is it normal for sugar wash to do this
crow

Postby MacStill » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Yeah it'll settle down in a while, wait till you do a molasses wash :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Ok cool thanks thought I might have fcked the yeast up Done beer for yrs until I had some major disappointments (might put them in biggest fuck ups one day) and have never seen anything like it and its not even that warm tonight
crow

Postby SBB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 am

If it starts trying to climb out of its fermenter just stir the foamy top back in a bit ......it will settle down a bit faster then.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 pm

its calmed down a bit now kind of looks like ultra bubbley fanta and milk mix
crow

Postby crow » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:09 am

Well just ran this through , dead right Mcstill it does have a very light rum taste . Cool because I happen to think rum is a pretty good drink :D , anyway very happy with the result for my first effort hell I haven't even seen a still running for about 20 yrs :dance: :dance: :dance:
crow

Postby crow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:09 am

Ok did tpw a few more times now . I found making it with 4 kgs of brown sugar and 2kgs of raw sugar the best so far , it does have a very light rummy taste but the yield is incredible double that I can get with white sugar and the rum taste is not that strong IMO to over power other flavorings of cause I might be wrong . The only flavoring I used so far was in a 2 ltr flagon I think I added a small amount of tails to so I put a small cap of maple syrup in ,tasted great and I'm fussy but when I was in the brew shop to get stuff for doing figs i decided to get a rum essence to enhance the spirit . fck me side ways this is the best tasting rum I can remember tasting and no hangover so far . Loving this hobby so far beats the living shit out of the last one ,growing tobacco and the 3rd world white oxy shit I produced :puke-huge:
crow

Return to Beginners Questions