GLYCERINE

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

GLYCERINE

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 am

Hi all, :greetings-waveyellow:
just wanted to see how many (all, some, none) use glycerine. i know it has its benefits but is your outcome drop that good its not needed??

also if you are adding it to your drop do you still add it into the essence flavouring etc... not sure if they have added it into there recipe already.
:text-thankyoublue:
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Re: GLYCERINE

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:21 am

Depends on what your trying to make?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:37 am

Sam. wrote:Depends on what your trying to make?

Hey Sam, to start with i was thinking vodka (neutral) , whiskey (tpw with oak chips) and maybe a lemon infused vodka....
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby orcy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:38 am

It just adds mouthfeel and can help thicken if you are making thicker liquors. Very much a recipe by recipe proposition.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby RC Al » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm

If your looking for mouthfeel for your vodka, throw in some mashed potato water

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9739&start=40#p183160
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby rlmisso » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Would you add it in if you were making a spiced rum? I saw somebody added it in their recipe.
rlmisso

equipment: None yet...

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm

I personally wouldn’t add it anything unless you thought it was lacking mouthfeel.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:20 am

Sam. wrote:I personally wouldn’t add it anything unless you thought it was lacking mouthfeel.

Thanks Sam :text-thankyoublue: .... i have just double destilled my first twp.... *** WOW *** :dance: have been having it with soada water and lime, orange juice and striaght..... can hardly tell its there its no smooth, no bit and very little tingle on toungue and warmth. mrs said this could be dangerouse :obscene-drinkingchug: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

i have not added any glycerine to it..... my last batch was a turbo wash and i through 5-10ml per litre in my mixes..... since reading up on it i think it is a bit of a laxative also...(maybe if you have to much and how you react to it)
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby holden4th » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:35 am

I am on to my fourth brew and am very happy with what I'm producing so far. I'm sticking to whisky, adding some peat smoke and have also used wood chips for an aging affect. I belong to "The Whisky Club" and they send out some amazing booze with so many varieties of taste. The Offerman Edition Lagavulin was just incredible and there's no way I'd be able to even get close to it.

The big difference between my brews and the ones I get from the club is mouthfeel. Mine are thin in comparison to those brews. With this in mind I'm going to try using glycerine. I'm just about to bottle 3 and half 700ml bottles from whisky that I've had aging with wood chips for a couple of weeks. I'll do two bottles with glycerine and the rest without just to see what difference it makes. Clayton, my friendly and helpful HBS owner, has said to only use 5ml per litre. For 700 ml bottles this will be about three and a half mls. Does that sound right or should I use 5 mls per 700ml bottle.
holden4th

equipment: Airstill

Postby The Stig » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:17 am

That’s because , the air still and most reflux stills will produce thin spirits.
Once you move into bubbler territory you will find the mouth feel creeps into your distillate.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Dancing4dan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 am

Add some toasted rolled oats to your mash to get the same result. 2 pounds goes in every 20 gallon mash I make.
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Return to Beginners Questions