TPW stripping run advice needed

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

TPW stripping run advice needed

Postby grasmere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:51 pm

I have completed two stripping runs in my Brewzilla, into 2 Demijons 1x5Ltr @58% alc and 1x3Ltr @30%alc Diluted the 58% down to 45%
For the spirit run, I don't know if I did the right thing, I discarded I think you call it dunder and put about half full of tank water in with the 8Ltrs of Spirit.
Set the boiler at 123c for a starting temp of 91c at base, top temp settled at 89c. Finished @100c base and 98c top
I discarded the first 200ml and collected 23 jars at 300mls each.
The first 6 jars at 56% alc, the next 4 jars 53% then 50,48,45,41,40,38,the final 6@20%
I am now at a stop, because I don't know what I should be smelling, not that I am all that good at smells,what I should be keeping and what I should be discarding
I appreciate that without knowing what these jars smell like it is a problem giving me advice, but is there some advice to mix jars without poisoning myself?
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Re: TPW stripping run advice needed

Postby Professor Green » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Was this through a pot still or a column? Those ABVs look rather low for a neutral spirit run.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby grasmere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:40 pm

It is a Brewzilla pot still
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Postby grasmere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 pm

They were taken with an Alcoholometer
grasmere

Postby grasmere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm

There is a guide to cuts and fractions in the view topics which shows pot run with out of 20 samples, the first 7 are Heads, the next 7 Hearts and the last 6 as Tails.
Would this be a guide to my 23 samples?
grasmere

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 pm

That is an example and not a guide. If you cut like that everytime then you may be chucking good ethanol or drinking heads and tails. each run will vary a bit.

Taste and smell are your friends as long as you ditch the foreshots first 50_100ml then you are not going to do yourself harm,
besides maybe a headache if you keep the rest without doing further cuts...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:24 pm

+1 on what bluc said.

The descriptions of the taste and smell of the fractions in this thead are a very good guide to what you are looking for.

I reckon you might struggle though as TPW is not a really good match for a pot still and it will probably smell funky all the way through which will make picking the fractions more difficult. What you have effectively made istomato whisky. You would be better off using one of cereal based washes with the pot still.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby grasmere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Thank you for the replies
I will see if my smell buds are better tomorrow or else take pot luck.
Prof Green I have a weetbix fermenting for the past 2 weeks and so I will see how that goes. I have a liking for whiskey. My main runs have been still spirits reflux whiskeys with flavouring essence and so this is all new to me. Thanks once again
grasmere

Postby The Stig » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:05 pm

+1 on what prof said
Think high %. tomato soup
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RC Al » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:14 pm

I usually smell for heads and taste for tails

I have made a fair bit of "tomato whiskey" and its fine for most heavily flavoured things like fruit infusions and coffee and the like.
WBAB is -much- better to my tastes though

Try slowing the next run down - i get 70-75% out of my little pot (mid 80's with the reflux marble), possibly even throw a scrubber two in there, make sure your starting at 40% too, this will give a higher abv output

Still working on my pizza vodka, I added some bacon fat to some tpw and now just have to get the cheese flavour right :obscene-drinkingchug: :puke-front:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RC Al » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Oh and forget trying to run the boiler by temps, get a voltage controller (5 star sell a good one) and set the thermostat to max and control your output with the voltage, i doubt your going to get your percentage up consistently without one
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby peter01010101 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:24 am

RC Al wrote:Oh and forget trying to run the boiler by temps, get a voltage controller

I think you'll find that you can't run a voltage controller with the Brewzilla. I have a Robobrew which I can use for stripping runs with my pot still or reflux runs which run the element(s) flat out. You'll bugger the onboard controller if you fluctuate the voltage in.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Postby RC Al » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:24 pm

Good point! your very right the circuit board might not cope with the undervoltage situation

After having a look at how its built, it wouldnt be too much hassle to have an electrician hook up a switched bypass if you were that way inclined, although it most likely would be simpler to add an additional heating element to the unit and control that - or you could just buy a keg n element and leave the unit alone completely, its only money right? :smile:

Have a look at pics 3 &4 - its really not rocket science in that part of the design
https://www.robobrew.com.au/inside-the-robobrew/
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby peter01010101 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:40 pm

RC Al wrote:Good point! your very right the circuit board might not cope with the undervoltage situation

After having a look at how its built, it wouldnt be too much hassle to have an electrician hook up a switched bypass if you were that way inclined, although it most likely would be simpler to add an additional heating element to the unit and control that - or you could just buy a keg n element and leave the unit alone completely, its only money right? :smile:

Have a look at pics 3 &4 - its really not rocket science in that part of the design
https://www.robobrew.com.au/inside-the-robobrew/

I went wiith the keg option and haven't looked back, though I prefer the Robobrew for smaller batch (20L) reflux runs. I installed the element a bit high in the keg and need about 12L to cover it :angry-banghead:

You've planted the seeds now.... Might have to tinker with the Robobrew. :-B
Last edited by peter01010101 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Postby grasmere » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Forgive the naive question, but do I run the second stripping run with the original dunder?? or fresh water?
grasmere

Postby db1979 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 am

peter01010101 wrote:I went wiith the keg option and haven't looked back, though I prefer the Robobrew for smaller batch (20L) reflux runs. I installed the element a bit high in the keg and need about 12L to cover it :angry-banghead:

Just install a second element lower than the first. You'll also get the benefit of faster heat up times. I need a bit under 11 L to cover my second element, so I can get small batches boiled nice and fast, then run off the lower element for the run.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 am

grasmere wrote:Forgive the naive question, but do I run the second stripping run with the original dunder?? or fresh water?

Do you mean your spirit run? If so, use fresh water (tap water, no need for distilled water) to get the abv down to 40 %. If you are stripping a second wash then just put it in your boiler, no diluting.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby grasmere » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for the reply db1979. Much appreciated
grasmere

Return to Beginners Questions