How Long Before Fermentation Starts

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

How Long Before Fermentation Starts

Postby audistiller » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi People,
I have just done my first ever wash, using 6kg Dextrose, and the SS Triple Distilled Turbo Yeast. I have done a search but didn't find any results to my question. How long should it take for the bubbling to start through the airlock..? I have had the lid screwed down for over 15 minutes, but I haven't yet observed any bubbling through the airlock. I have checked the lid is sealed, and it appears to be tight. The water temp was about 28 degrees when the yeast was added.

What is the shortest and longest time it takes to start fermenting.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Re: How Long Before Fermentation Starts

Postby Panda » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Maybe 2 hour to start. Only be concerned if it isn't going when u wake up in the morning
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby audistiller » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks Panda, I have a feeling something went wrong and this has failed. I saw in a Still Spirits clip I have, that once the top was screwed down, it seemed to start bubbling straight away, the only difference being, they used sugar and Classic yeast. I guess I will wait until morning to see my fate.
audistiller

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 am

How's it looking this morning ?

If it's not bubbling, can you see any evidence of fermentation looking through the lid, should be lots of bubbles and a creamy head of yeast action?

Also, if it is working you should probably be able to hear it if you put your ear up to the side of your fermenter, it will sound like a aspirin dissolving ( bubbling / hissing noise ) all going well ?

If it is fermenting, you just might need to re-fit your lid, or for whatever reason your lid is not sealing tight enough to force CO2 through your airlock ?

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby audistiller » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:25 am

I missed your post Grump sorry, it seems to be going along fine now. Most likely it was just me being over enthusiastic, probably more so expecting the first run to fail. I can now report it took 8 days to ferment out, and I left it another 48 hours to make sure it was done, and so I got the same SG reading over 48 hours. The final SG was 992, I would of liked it a bit lower, but I am happy with that for my first. Earlier tonight I added Part A of the Turbo Clear, then just over an hour later added Part B. It started clearing within 2 hours or so, and is starting to look and smell much better. I cant wait until tomorrow night to run my first ever wash through my brand new T500. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I bought a Baileys mix and 2x Tennessee Bourbon essences, as well as some Jack Daniels Oak Chips for my first ever run. I plan to put some Oak Chips into 1 litre of spirit and leave for 10 days for so, then I will add some of the Tennessee Bourbon essence. I hope to leave this for another month or two, as long as I'm not tempted to drink it. I might even use one bottle of the Tennessee Bourbon essence and Oak Chips making up 2.25 litres. But by that time I will have plenty to keep me going, as I have my second wash that will be ready to run through the T500 this weekend.

Thanks for your reply Grumpthehermit.
audistiller

Return to Beginners Questions