Leibig condensers

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Leibig condensers

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 pm

I need to make one in the next few days . I was going to make it 1/2" with a 3/4" jacket 12 to 1500mm long mainly to keep the product outlet a distance from any open flame is there a problem with them being longer than the norm and are these sizes ok
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Leibig condensers

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

croweater wrote:I need to make one in the next few days . I was going to make it 1/2" with a 3/4" jacket 12 to 1500mm long mainly to keep the product outlet a distance from any open flame is there a problem with them being longer than the norm and are these sizes ok

that will do just fine mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:45 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: cool because I bought the fittings to do it then thought hey dickwit why didn't you ask first . If I can work out how to post pics I will :? not to great on the computers I'm afraid
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

Crow if you use a 3/4 over 1/2 inch leigburg which seems to be the popular option make sure you crimp the 1/2 inch...this causes turbulence in the ALC vapors and helps the condenser do its job. Becarefull which way you crimp or the condensed Alc will pool causing smearing of your cuts.
A quick search here or AD should reveal more about this.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 am

yeah ok , this is to stop that huffing some ppl report hey . How about if I dent the 1/2" up a bit I will most likely start building this in the next hr or so , nerves but excited
crow

Postby SBB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:33 am

As far as Im aware crimping has little or no effect on huffing.........its more about stopping the Laminar flow of vapors.
Just denting up the pipe aint gunna work.....not unless the dents are in the right places.
I use a set of side cutters to crimp my pipe
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 am

ok yeah I am worried about pooling and smearing , vaguely remember reading something about stuffing a few whisks of ss wool up the pipe to stop this do you know if this works . Just that my lyne arm will be adjustable meaning the angle of my condenser will change from time to time depending on what height is required for my take off point. In other words I could see times when the condenser has very little fall and anything that caused pooling would fuck things right up
crow

Postby maheel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am

IMO yes a little scrubber will do the same as crimping, tease out a bit and slide it up there.
maheel

Leibig condensers

Postby Sam. » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am

Would heaps of packing be beneficial by slowing down the vapor and liquid or would this cause smearing somehow?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby maheel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:09 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Would heaps of packing be beneficial by slowing down the vapor and liquid or would this cause smearing somehow?

i reckon just bit to break up the flows of vapor is all that is required

to be honest i only use a little bit in my stripping pot head as a "just in case" i can see the logic behind it but on my scale and power doubt it has any real effect
if i get steam coming form my pot head i am really pushing it's limits and can really only get steam on GAS heat cranked right up

that just my opinion and based on nothing but my own runs so only 2cents worth really
maheel

Postby crow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 pm

8-) I think this will be a safe bet for me and what I'm hoping to achieve . I want my Liebig to be pretty long , I could put a 45' on the condenser giving me another join to adjust my angle down but this would defeat the purpose of the long LC , to keep the product outlet the hell away from an open flame ;-)
crow

Postby crow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:42 am

Forgot to ask ; guessing the stainless packing just needs to be at the inlet/vapor end of the leibig is that right
crow

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:15 am

Many just add it the outlet end. I've also added it both ends for some runs. Try both ways and see if you can notice the diff.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Return to Beginners Questions