first cleaning run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

first cleaning run

Postby crow » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 pm

I read the cleaning run tutorial seems straight forward just wanted to know how little is to little amount in the keg . Didnt really want to boil 40 odd ltrs if I can avoid it , was thinking around the 10 ltr mark 2ltrs of vinegar would that be ok
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: first cleaning run

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Not too sure mate,I used 12l of vinegar in about 60l of water when I did bertha,but I ran her for an hour and a half to make sure I got all the shit out of her,then I put all the pieces that would fit into the dishwasher,and got busted by the Dept of War :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I have a habit of doing things that upset the natural balance :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby crow » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:39 pm

ha ha yeah know that feeling the ex stayed here last night walked down my lounged room full of tools as is the kitchen , saw where I'd been soldering and welding in the dinning room and said fuck I really don't miss this shit
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:52 pm

No sense of humour some people :laughing-rolling: Wait till you use the Dyson to suck the top off your figs :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Well,it does say wet and dry :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:20 pm

got a wet and dry industrial thing but its been used solely on gyprock sanders so don't think I'd be game to use it on anything wet anymore .I had a drill pump dad and all his mates would use it to pump port from 44's to there hogs heads,they'd go down the Barossa buy 6 or 8 44's direct on the cheap then deliver it to there mates who'd all chuck in . Anyway had the drill in reverse once that was the sudden end of that , might see if ya can still get them
crow

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:57 pm

My cook went berko when I did it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Then got the shits when I used one of the 'good' sheets to strain it all :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: Just can't win sometimes,what's the difference between good and bad sheets anyway :think:
Cane Toad

Postby Sam. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Big Don wrote:what's the difference between good and bad sheets anyway :think:

Depends what has happened to them :)) :))
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Bad sheets are the ones that tear and ya foot goes through when ya trying to get traction
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby stubbydrainer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Nah SBB ya got it wrong, good sheets go out and cover the cocky's cage, bad sheets are the ones the cocky has torn to shreds and then get shoved into my rag bin :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby crow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:46 am

ok well the column is holding at 98.7' ,vinegar distillate is cold at the out let the 2 main joins (crox joins) are starting to let me down they were holding up for a while but it seems the steam is washing the corking out guess I'll have to find suitable seals PS can you believe this shit fine moonless night just started to collect cleaning distillate and its starting to spit rain (I'm outside of fucking cause :angry-banghead:
crow

Postby crow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:36 am

only spat for a min anyway unplugged the water and for 5 min , no steam thinkin I've built myself a giant air still :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: did start to steam a bit eventually . anyway with decent seals I think I got a winner lovely light green vinegar coming out , guess that means its cleaning it all up inside :pray:
crow

Postby crow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:14 am

well that's stuffed it nicely violent thunder storm for nowhere :angry-banghead: ~x( :angry-banghead: just had time to shut the still down pissing with rain lightning on 3 fronts fuck the still it can stay out there . been near killed by lightning twice thats quite enough for me :scared-shocked: ---- storm passed I continued the run what a night man i need to get a new shed built (-| its 5:00 in the morning all dissembled and soaking . Seals aside very happy with the run no mods to speak of needed except I'm not 100% happy with the leibig junction but its ok for now very surprised at how cold the vinegar was , thinking spirits should be even more so . :handgestures-thumbupleft: Bonus won't need a parrot just float the alcometer in my glass of coke :laughing-rolling: anyway as soon as I get some decent seals I'll do the juckohol run , far out this is cool . Thanks to everyone for they're comments and advise that made this possible :D . already thinking of the next build :roll: , well didn't bring all this copper over for trailer ballast
crow

Postby crow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:03 am

Big Don wrote:My cook went berko when I did it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Then got the shits when I used one of the 'good' sheets to strain it all :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: Just can't win sometimes,what's the difference between good and bad sheets anyway :think:

shoulda just said look hun some ppl pay big bickies for this tie dyeing stuff
crow

Postby crow » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:34 pm

doing my first run with alcohol KEEN :-D seriously need a BIGGER burner :-w :!! EDIT SERIOUSLY BIGGER
crow

Postby crow » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:16 pm

well it went ok no leaks cool considering i chopped up an old leather boot to make the gaskets . the parrot was useless ethenol flowed through fine but the snug fit with the alcometer made it read about 20 to 25 % out ~x( . fairly belted out the alcohol ,trickled out in a continuous moderate speed after taking for ever to heat up i was quite shocked at the speed of it and at 60% to start with . the distillate is ice cold coming out wont be needing that correction chart for the pot and jack all water going through as well :-D
crow

Postby crow » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:46 pm

had to drop the kids off stop and restart the pot cold as charity out there ice everywhere got a feeling I'll be picking my last lot of figs tomorrow that'll just bugger up everthing :angry-banghead: Still not 100% happy with the still to condenser junction its ok but not a 100% seal there
crow

Postby SBB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:43 am

croweater wrote: i chopped up an old leather boot to make the gaskets .

I have a feeling that they could use some fairly nasty things in the leather tanning industry.......you might or might not want to look into that.
Just saying.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Most likely but this was a juckahol run the low wines I got will be getting shot up the reflux . Its from all sorts of stuff beer,red wine , mid strength home brew , rum and neutral feints ect. Tasting it to make cuts actually didn't taste to bad thought t would have been bazaar . I'm going to pretend to believe that this is harmless old tanned leather :-P PS is it normal for the distillate to come out ice cold
crow

Return to Beginners Questions