Airstill

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Airstill

Postby Geoff0409 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi

New to forum and distilling. Have read much about unsuitability of airstill but I live on a boat with limited space and don’t like naked flames - airstill is ideal from both considerations

Have done two distillations using turbo yeast food carbon etc - mixed result with one batch drinkable other not. Interested in the tomato based wash as a possible solution. Can anyone advise if this is suitable for airstill with an 8 litre wash

Also sales information indicates that with airstill it is not necessary to discard the first part of the distillation. Forums seem to indicate that discard is necessary - can anyone advise

Thanks
Geoff
Geoff0409

equipment: Air Still

Re: Airstill

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Your better pff with flavoured wash with airstill. Rum whiskey etc. Watch rum tends to foam up. Have look at bwko mcwhiskey and mcrum in triedand proven. And welcome
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby southern45 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:42 pm

I wouldn't recommend TPW through and Airstill (have done so myself). Go for something like a Weetbix or Nutrigrain wash or a rum wash depending on what sort of drinks you'd like to create.

There's a very good flow diagram showing the best way to run an AirStill floating about, somebody will be able to post it here for you. It's time consuming for sure, but the results are well worth it. Probably a good compromise when you're very limited on space. To summarise though; double distil and make good cuts!

Welcome aboard, captain!
Last edited by southern45 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby woodduck » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

As already said the tpw won't suit an air still as it is a pot still so you will be making tomato whiskey, not nice I imagine. You unfortunately won't get a neutral spirit out of it to use with your essence if that's what your after.

Definitely discard the first 50ml, no still removes fores from any wash. Have a read of the "cuts" thread in the newbie corner and your spirit will improve 300%.

Enjoy the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Geoff0409 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks for the advice

In summary if I have it right I can’t produce a decent neutral spirit for flavouring using airstill. Need to make a suitable flavoured wash then double distill removing first fraction (fores)?

Your responses appreciated

Thanks
Geoff
Geoff0409

Postby The Stig » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:06 pm

You can make a neutral of sorts, you need to do multiple runs and filter .
Using say the cornflake wash for instance you can make a Nice real bourbon of sort.
You need to learn the still and work around it’s limitations
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Geoff0409 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Thanks Stig

Am most interested in making gin and light rum(Bundy). Will continue to read up info on still

Thanks
Geoff
Geoff0409

Postby The Stig » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:38 pm

I don’t want to be harsh but forget the idea of making a good gin with an air still .
And why would anybody want to make Bundy? You can do so much better :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby southern45 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Geoff0409 wrote:Thanks for the advice

In summary if I have it right I can’t produce a decent neutral spirit for flavouring using airstill. Need to make a suitable flavoured wash then double distill removing first fraction (fores)?

You need to remove fores and also make heads/tails cuts!

If you use a fairly low flavour wash such as WBAB (Weetbix) and double distil, you get a good enough neutral to add flavour essences to if that's what you're after. Good enough Brew Shop essence concentrates at least. If you have the inclination to do a molasses or molasses/sugar wash and double distil, then age on oak for a while, you can make a decent rum too.

See attachment below for a flow diagram on double distilling with an AirStill ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by southern45 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southern45

Postby Geoff0409 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks

Interestingly the gin I made turned out drinkable - the bourbon was thrown away - very sweet - commercial flavourings

The airstill spreadsheet has clarified things a great deal. Just need to work out which wash to use and I will give it another go

Again thanks
Geoff
Geoff0409

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:48 am

If you google Zymurgy Bob's gin extract that might work for you. Produce a reasonable neutral using a cereal based wash and double distilling and add gin extract to your taste.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Geoff0409 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks Carol will give it a go
Geoff0409

Postby db1979 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 pm

Welcome mate, nothing much I can add other than vouch for the wbab wash as a good way of producing something that you can flavour, no experience with an airstill though.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Geoff0409 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:49 pm

Thanks for all the assistance. It has helped clarify somewhat a surprisingly complex subject

I bought my airstill with a supply of turbo yeast clarifiers carbon etc. Based on the advice provided I have decided to continue with a few sugar washes using turbo yeast etc to get experience in double distilling and identifying/separating cuts. I will then use this experience on a mash

Cheers
Geoff
Geoff0409

Postby woodduck » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Make sure you keep a bottle of the stuff made from turbo so you can compare it with a good wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby R3dRanga » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:12 pm

Geoff0409 wrote:Thanks

Interestingly the gin I made turned out drinkable - the bourbon was thrown away - very sweet - commercial flavourings

The airstill spreadsheet has clarified things a great deal. Just need to work out which wash to use and I will give it another go

Again thanks
Geoff

If you’re still out there Geoff0409 I’d love to hear your tips, learnings and failures with the airstill. Did you manage to produce a (somewhat) neutral spirit? And did you give the Zymurgy Bob's gin extract a go?

By the sound of it, I’m pretty much where you were 10 months ago. Keen to hear your journey.

(I’ve got a TPW brewing now - 5 days in and lookin good)
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:53 pm

Geoff0409
Hi mate, I too have an airstill and have my first wash happening ATM. In a previous post, you mentioned a spreadsheet. What is it, and could you please post a link? ATM I feel Ike I am out of my depth.
Best regards, Sam
And hey, stay safe!
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Postby R3dRanga » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi Sam,

It seems Geoff may not be floating around this forum anymore. Let's hope he comes back to share his knowledge and experience on the airstill with us!

I'm pretty much with you. Just bought an airstill and fumbling my way through. First batch produced some great hand sanitiser! Now onto a Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) which is smelling much better, but let's see how it goes through the airstill. Planning a Weetbix wash next.

I think the spreadsheet is referring to an earlier comment in this thread. Look about 8 comments back - PDF link: "Airstill Brief SS.pdf". (not a spreadsheet as such).

There are other discussions I've stubbled across, although a little dated (hopefully timeless info!). Posting in case you haven't seen these:

GETTING THE BEST FROM AN AIR STILL
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6177

TPW through Airstill:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1503

I'm afraid I can't offer any pro tips, but good to know I'm not alone. Looking forward to sharing and chatting about the airstill.

Cheers,
RR
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby southern45 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 am

I've attached the document I used to use for my AirStill. The flow diagram is at the end.

Using WBAB (not TWP) I used to get a good enough drop for flavouring / mixers / etc. It's a bit of a pain though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
southern45

Postby R3dRanga » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:37 pm

southern45 wrote:It's a bit of a pain though.

Yeah, I'm hearing you Southern! A lot of hard work to produce a couple of litres. A good way to start but I reckon I'll outgrow my 4L airstill pretty quickly. I've only had it 3-4 weeks!

I had to triple distill to get 'just' drinkable vodka from the TPW, and that was with severe cuts (esp tails) and good dilution. I've got a WBAB wash on now. Can't wait to give that a go.
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Next

Return to Beginners Questions