Understanding the process

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Understanding the process

Postby cdbrown » Tue May 01, 2012 4:41 pm

I've been doing a bit of reading trying to understand the whole process. There's heaps of information in lots of threads, but it's all very new so can quickly become confusing :angry-banghead: . I'm hoping that by noting down the process it'll make things clearer for me and where I've got it wrong - a more learned person can set me straight.

Make a UJSM batch - seems that chucking everything in the fermenter is the way to go - and let it ferment quite warm till done. Some people leave for a bit longer to clear I could refrig to speed this up. Syphon/pour into still leaving behind the lees (or trub in my world) which is full of yeast and cracked corn muck.

First want to do a fast stripping run. If doing a 20L batch ditch the first 100-150ml (foreshots) and then keep everything until you hit about 20%. Should have about 5L? Keep so it can be used with other stripping runs for a batch of spirit run.

The remaining liquid in the pot still is called the backset and some of that will be used in the 2nd generation - 25% of 2nd wash is from backset so 5L. Now I've read to add the backset directly onto the lees, then add the water to top up to 20L, add the same amount of sugar from the first batch and then replace the corn as well. Wouldn't adding hot backset kill the yeast? Wouldn't it be better to add the water by estimating the volume of the lees - or maybe it's not important and just add 15L?

Is replacing the corn easy? Is it just a matter of scooping it out and if so won't you scoop out healthy yeast? Would I add the same amount of corn as I did in the first batch or only the amount that I've removed?

what do you do with the rest of the backset?

Now I get a little confused. From reading on this forum I think the plan is to do strip run, ferment, and repeat over a few weeks till the 5th gen and should have around 25L low wines for spirit run. Then the 25L low wines gets distilled in the spirit run? It seems from McStill's post that this is to provide flavour. Does it get more and more flavour as the generations progress such that evens out when blended with earlier gens? Can you use the backset from the 5th gen to start a 1st gen ferment?

However, UJSM wiki on homedistiller reads like you can get the spirits from the first run (or maybe they just ignored the pot still stuff and was talking only about reflux still). Taking cuts between 80% and 70% as the spirit we want for consumption. Let the still run till hit 20% and use the heads and tails in the next distillation run - is this done for each spirit run or just the 2nd gen onwards? Does the flavour of the resulting spirit change between each generation?

If wanting other spririts like brandy then would I just do the strip run, then spirit run?

Sorry about all the stupid questions but I feel I've got no fucking idea and it gets worse the more I read :?
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Re: Understanding the process

Postby Kimbo » Tue May 01, 2012 4:55 pm

cdbrown wrote:I've been doing a bit of reading trying to understand the whole process. There's heaps of information in lots of threads, but it's all very new so can quickly become confusing :angry-banghead: . I'm hoping that by noting down the process it'll make things clearer for me and where I've got it wrong - a more learned person can set me straight.

Make a UJSM batch - seems that chucking everything in the fermenter is the way to go - and let it ferment quite warm till done. Some people leave for a bit longer to clear I could refrig to speed this upYes. Syphon/pour into still leaving behind the lees (or trub in my world) which is full of yeast and cracked corn muck.

First want to do a fast stripping run. If doing a 20L batch ditch the first 100-150ml (foreshots) and then keep everything until you hit about 20%. Should have about 5L? Keep so it can be used with other stripping runs for a batch of spirit run.yes

The remaining liquid in the pot still is called the backset and some of that will be used in the 2nd generation - 25% of 2nd wash is from backset so 5L. Now I've read to add the backset directly onto the leesSome do, some don't, then add the water to top up to 20L, add the same amount of sugar from the first batch and then replace the corn as well. Wouldn't adding hot backset kill the yeastYes? Wouldn't it be better to add the water by estimating the volume of the lees - or maybe it's not important and just add 15L? yes
I add sugar to the hot backset,dissolve, then add 15L water then pour onto the lees
Is replacing the corn easy? Is it just a matter of scooping it out and if so won't you scoop out healthy yeast just scoop it? Would I add the same amount of corn as I did in the first batch or only the amount that I've removed?yes

what do you do with the rest of the backset?ditch it

Now I get a little confused. From reading on this forum I think the plan is to do strip run, ferment, and repeat over a few weeks till the 5th gen and should have around 25L low wines for spirit run. Then the 25L low wines gets distilled in the spirit run? yes It seems from McStill's post that this is to provide flavour. Does it get more and more flavour as the generations progress such that evens out when blended with earlier gens?yes Can you use the backset from the 5th gen to start a 1st gen ferment? yes, or make a 6th gen and leave it till your ready( it will last for months

However, UJSM wiki on homedistiller reads like you can get the spirits from the first run (or maybe they just ignored the pot still stuff and was talking only about reflux still). Taking cuts between 80% and 70% as the spirit we want for consumption. Let the still run till hit 20% and use the heads and tails in the next distillation run - is this done for each spirit run or just the 2nd gen onwards? Does the flavour of the resulting spirit change between each generation?yes you can, tho i've never done it that way

If wanting other spririts like brandy then would I just do the strip run, then spirit run?yes

Sorry about all the stupid questions but I feel I've got no fucking idea and it gets worse the more I read :?

Sound all about right to me, there are a few different methods around, you just have to see which one suits you best ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Tue May 01, 2012 6:11 pm

cdbrown wrote:Wouldn't adding hot backset kill the yeast? Wouldn't it be better to add the water by estimating the volume of the lees - or maybe it's not important and just add 15L?

If the backsets straight from your still its way to hot.....I put mine in a bucket with the sugar...give a good stir....let cool overnight then add back.
Just another way of doing it.

cdbrown wrote:Is replacing the corn easy? Is it just a matter of scooping it out and if so won't you scoop out healthy yeast? Would I add the same amount of corn as I did in the first batch or only the amount that I've removed?

You only need to remove a small amount of grain,,,,I forget the exact amount, about 20% from memory. Some people dont change the corn every time. Ive never tried straight corn...most things Ive read recommend a mix of Corn, Wheat, and Barley.....malted Barley if you can get it. The corn should be the majority of the grain mix
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Tue May 01, 2012 6:20 pm

In fact, you only need to replace the corn which floats to the top, as this is spent grain. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby cdbrown » Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks kimbo and SBB.

So scoop up the stuff that floats to the top and replace with new stuff. I'm guessing the corn is for flavouring only and the fermentables is purely from the sugar.

How much drinkable spirit would you get from 25L of low wines in a pot still?

yes, or make a 6th gen and leave it till your ready( it will last for months

I'm guessing I would need to transfer the 6th gen wash off the less. Leaving beer on the trub too long causes all sorts of unwanted flavour due to yeast autolysis. Is it ok if the low wines or wash is exposed to air - the oxygen doesn't spoil it like beer?
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby Kimbo » Tue May 01, 2012 8:06 pm

cdbrown wrote:Thanks kimbo and SBB.

So scoop up the stuff that floats to the top and replace with new stuff. I'm guessing the corn is for flavouring only and the fermentables is purely from the sugar.Correct

How much drinkable spirit would you get from 25L of low wines in a pot still?Around 20L after cuts, ageing and diluting back to 40%

yes, or make a 6th gen and leave it till your ready( it will last for months

I'm guessing I would need to transfer the 6th gen wash off the less. Leaving beer on the trub too long causes all sorts of unwanted flavour due to yeast autolysis. Is it ok if the low wines or wash is exposed to air - the oxygen doesn't spoil it like beer?Keep it sealed,you can leave on the lees/trub if you want
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi CDB,I'm on about the 13-14th generation,I think,sorta lost count :laughing-rolling: If you like your bourbon/whiskey,the more generations that you do,the more flavor that comes through.The backset that you are using is providing shitloads of flavour,and the grains that are also in the fermenter,I'd say I've still got some from my first gen floating around in there somewhere,also provide heaps of flavour.
What I've been doing the last 5-6 gens is strip one generation,then when the next one is ready,pour the low wines from the previous one in with it and then do a spirit run.You may not get as much grog in one hit,but I personally think that using low wines and wash together gives a far superior product.Well,that's my opinion and taste anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Before you know it,you'll have more grog than you'd believe,but that's the aim,to have enough so that you can actually age it for a serious amount of time :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It doesn't seem to happen at my house with great regularity :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Return to Beginners Questions