Issues with cloudy sugar wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Issues with cloudy sugar wash

Postby AdamW » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 am

Morning all.
I'm about 12 batches along with my slightly modded t500 and having occasional issues with cloudy neutrals.
I use tpw exactly to recipe from here. I have narrowed the cause down but need some help. The product is crystal clear before dilution.
Here is what isn't the problem.
Dilution water. I have diluted 2 batches at the same time. One clear one cloudy.
Tails. The bottle which included the last jar was clearer than the bottle from middle of the hearts. Both were cloudy.
So from my no nothing brain I'm thinking it could be.....
Running the still too fast sometimes. Instead of drip drip dribble I do get drip drip pour dribble pour. This drops the output from 96% to 94%.
The time the wash is in the fermenter. Sometimes it is in for a week and sometimes two weeks. I didn't take notes on this. Naughty boy.
Still cleanliness. I rinse every run and clean with vinegar and citric every third run. It seems improbable that any residue citric or vinegar would cloud an entire batch.
Can someone steer me in the right direction please? I promise to make more detailed notes from now on
AdamW

equipment: Turbo500... slightly modded. I know i know but I got it from the tip for free.

Re: Issues with cloudy sugar wash

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:17 pm

Sounds like a louche you are going to far into tails .
Are you doing cuts?
Last edited by bluc on Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby AdamW » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:30 pm

bluc wrote:Sounds like a louche you are going to far into tails .
Are you doing cuts?

It's not tails. The bottle from jar 5 and 6 was cloudier than one that was from jars 11 and 14. 14 being the last jar from the run.
AdamW

equipment: Turbo500... slightly modded. I know i know but I got it from the tip for free.

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Maybe a puke
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm

next question what water did you use for diluting and we hope it wasn't mains water......
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby AdamW » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:33 pm

The Stig wrote:Maybe a puke

Could be. I have run at the max level the last few times.
I'm currently running at 2 or 3 litres below and going nice and slow.
Hopefully it will be nice and clear
AdamW

Postby AdamW » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:35 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:next question what water did you use for diluting and we hope it wasn't mains water......

Umm..... yeah tap water.
I did dilute two runs at the same time and one was clear while the other was cloudy
AdamW

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 pm

AdamW wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:next question what water did you use for diluting and we hope it wasn't mains water......

Umm..... yeah tap water.
I did dilute two runs at the same time and one was clear while the other was cloudy

I just use rainwater but I do live in the country so no dirty stuff to leach into my tanks from the city but DON'T use tap water to dilute spirits, go and make yourself some distilled water and use that or just buy some bottled water.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Or buy a decent under sink filter like I did
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby hgwells » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:46 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
AdamW wrote:

Umm..... yeah tap water.

I just use rainwater but I do live in the country so no dirty stuff to leach into my tanks from the city but DON'T use tap water to dilute spirits, go and make yourself some distilled water and use that or just buy some bottled water.

Cheers Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Having never distilled water (and only having access to mains apart from my cooling system), what steps would you take to distill water? Would you run it through the still and would the still behave differently?
Cheers
HG
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:50 pm

hgwells wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:
AdamW wrote:

Umm..... yeah tap water.

Cheers Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Having never distilled water (and only having access to mains apart from my cooling system), what steps would you take to distill water? Would you run it through the still and would the still behave differently?
Cheers
HG

Just make sure your sitting down HG :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: now put some water in your boiler start your PC and heatup the water and distill it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Lesgold » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 pm

I’m not sure that we can distill water. That would be LEGAL wouldn’t it??? :)) :)) :)) :))
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Just owning a still is illegal
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:21 pm

HGwells Bryan left out an important step.

He forgot to mention the cuts :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:30 pm

Wellsy wrote:HGwells Bryan left out an important step.

yea the first 200ml or so as the steam will give the still a good clean :handgestures-thumbupleft:

as far as cuts go me thinks Wellsy's got cuts on the brain after so much distilling :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby hgwells » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:50 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
Wellsy wrote:HGwells Bryan left out an important step.

yea the first 200ml or so as the steam will give the still a good clean :handgestures-thumbupleft:

as far as cuts go me thinks Wellsy's got cuts on the brain after so much distilling :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby AdamW » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:59 am

I may have found the culprit.
When I ran the still the other day the wife was watering the garden. Every 10 min or so she was turning on and off hoses and the still temp was fluctuating.
I didn't have headphones on for once and the still was making a gurgling sound when the temperature was fluctuating.
I might have to get myself a reticulating cooling system.
AdamW

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 am

I am not sure if you have a rain tank mate but I use a submersible pump out of the rain water tank.
The spent warm water I run onto the lawn or garden as in the hot weather the tank water gets too hot. I then drop a garden hose into the water tank and refill it with cooler town water. This stops any fluctuations as well
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby AdamW » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:03 pm

Wellsy wrote:I am not sure if you have a rain tank mate but I use a submersible pump out of the rain water tank.
The spent warm water I run onto the lawn or garden as in the hot weather the tank water gets too hot. I then drop a garden hose into the water tank and refill it with cooler town water. This stops any fluctuations as well

Sounds like a good plan. The wife can water the garden from the still output!
AdamW

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:00 am

I diluted some all grain wheat vodka with spring water and it went cloudy once I proofed it back to 40%. :think: I used to have a water dispenser that would filter the water and chill it. Never had a problem until i used some room temp spring water. Water temp wouldn't play a part in this?..........would it :think: :think:
brisvalleymoonshiner

equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Next

Return to Beginners Questions