which is best

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

which is best

Postby twobob » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:39 am

HI i my name is Garry 1st time on this forum, and was wonder what is the best distiller, i currently have an air still and was thinking of buying a 2 pot still, i don't brew a lot at this stage and was after some info on economy etc. thanks in advance for any info.
cheers Garry
twobob

equipment: air still

Re: which is best

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:54 am

Hello Gary
Pop into the welcome centre mate and introduce yourself.
The first question is what are you trying to produce, as which still to use is very much determined by what. You want to produce. 5star equipment is brilliant but I am biased as that is what I want.
It is a bit like what car should I buy, it really depends what you want to do with
Let us know what you want to achieve and the suggestions will start to flow :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:30 am

C’mon Wellsy! Help Andrew out, Gary definitely needs a FSD 8” multi still with the 500L boiler!
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:41 am

that would be my vote lol

oh you better get yourself a new tip truck as well to be able to transport the grain you will need to fill that boiler lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby twobob » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:52 am

Hi Guys, i think a 550l maybe just out of reach LOL what i am after something that will distill easily and affordable, just starting out have already brewed whiskey, gin,nothing fancy, just trying to workout weather to invest in a 2 pot or keep going with what i have.
twobob

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am

so much depends on how much money you have, how much room, how much time you have.
Biggest advantage of an airstill is its size and ease of operation. Biggest disadvantage is its size and ease of operation ( lack of control over what is happening )
Are you looking to do neutrals and use flavourings ?
Are you looking to age for a few years what you produce
Do you have plenty of room where you are.
Do you have a cooling system, so many factors effect peoples decision
but again the biggest factor is do you know what you want to produce.
Wellsy

Postby BigRig » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Wellsy is correct in what you are wanting to do will determine what is best. For versatility for a newbie just starting out i dont think you can beat the fsd 2"boka with pot still attachment. A lot of great info can be found here on it. I have it and am a little biased though. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12638&hilit=Boka
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Carol » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi Garry
I have a FSD 2" boka and pot. (see my thread). Cost effective, high quality and flexible. Good resale value if I ever wanted to sell it ( which I don't). I had (and still have) an airstill. Boka and pot are a much more effective use of my time.
Cheers Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby twobob » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi, Thanks Wellesy and Carol not much room or money what you have suggested is out of my range looking at 1 called vevor 2pot,?? just need it to brew spirits and flavour with essence at this point in time, tried the welcome thing don't know how to negotiate around it, ?? bear in mind i am not a young bloke and pc's and surfing is not my forte
twobob

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:24 pm

twobob wrote:Hi, Thanks Wellesy and Carol not much room or money what you have suggested is out of my range looking at 1 called vevor 2pot,?? just need it to brew spirits and flavour with essence at this point in time, tried the welcome thing don't know how to negotiate around it, ?? bear in mind i am not a young bloke and pc's and surfing is not my forte

Those vevor still are nothing but crap and my advise is to steer clear of them, brass is used for the fittings and as far as a 3 turn condenser coil of 1/2" copper and that 5 litre cooling pot won't be enough to cool the vapour when doing a run. Those stills are nothing but a marketing exercise to grab the hard earned cash then disappear leaving everyone in the lurch.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:04 pm

twobob wrote:just need it to brew spirits and flavour with essence

To do this, you will need a reflux still, so a T500, Pure Distilling or DIY etc or a FSD Boka is the way to go.
A Pot Still will not give you a clean neutral (shut up Wellsy) for flavoring with essence
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:06 pm

Lol

I don’t do neutrals Stig, I do subtly flavoured vodka as they should be lol
Wellsy

Return to Beginners Questions