redistill or not

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

redistill or not

Postby jman69 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Is it worth redistilling if using a reflux still? As i understand it the vapour condences and falls back down the coloum so only the best vapour gets to the top.??
jman69

equipment: reflux

Re: redistill or not

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:21 pm

Hello jman
I believe others with more experience will answer mate, but you might want to give some details on this. Did you run it fast or slow, what makes you think it needs to be re run, or are you talking about the left over feints.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby jman69 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:57 pm

No, i'm just asking in general.
jman69

Postby jman69 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:58 pm

No, i was just asking in general.
jman69

Postby PeterC » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:42 pm

Saying you have a reflux still doesn't mean much. Depending on various factors of its design, size and how you run it makes all the difference. Then once you make a distillate there are some that would like it and others who won't. When I do sugar washes I can run 5 plates and a 500mm packed section and can get fairly clean neutral spirit for other uses like adding flavours or Limoncello etc. When I make ultra clean spirit I do stripping runs on 5 plates and then a spirit run on 5 plates and packed section and I use this for making gin. My brother can make a reasonably clean neutral on a 1 metre tall 2 inch dia. Boka reflux still running slowly at 1 litre per hour collection rate.

Some people with small reflux stills like a T500 are happy with the output, others do things like carbon filter. The wash has a big impact on this with Turbo yeast sugar washes having lots of bad odours and flavours that are difficult to remove. Tomato paste wash is a simple and cleaner wash that is better for many purposes but Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka wash probably gives the cleanest neutral for those new to the game trying to make neutral base.

Read the Noobie's section and then the Tried and Proven section to learn more.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby jman69 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:14 pm

Yes, thanks peterc. just today i started a t.p.w. I will be using my turbo 500 reflux still. If t.p.w. is as good as everyone says it is i'll probably never try turbo sugar again.
jman69

Postby The Stig » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Double distilling will ALWAYS give a better end result no matter what still you have.
And the biggest improvement in product quality I made was when I started double distilling.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Beginners Questions