Ceramic Saddles in 4L airstill

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Ceramic Saddles in 4L airstill

Postby R3dRanga » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 pm

Can anyone tell me if the ceramic saddles are recommended for every still run; or just the stripping run?

I have a teenie 4L airstill. I've been putting the ceramic saddles in every run (I figure it can't hurt) but not sure if they are only beneficial to prevent puking on the stripping run, or if they should be used all the time.

Thanks in advance.
RR
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Re: Ceramic Saddles in 4L airstill

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:29 pm

I found that stripping runs in the air still were ok but that the lid tried to lift off in a spirit run - so on advice from the forum I used some broken china and that solved the problem. I have a FSD boka and pot now. I can't see that adding the saddles to a stripping run would do any harm.
Cheers
Carol.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 pm

Hey guys
I am helping Sam with his airstill. I have not found a setting to make an adjustment between a stripping run or spirit run.
Is there a setting or do you use a voltage controller.

I assumed it was just dependant on what you put into the boiler but we all know what they say about assumption.

Thanks
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:13 pm

A long time ago before I got into distilling I was at mates work was a fridgie and he had a run going and now I know it was an air still. He said his wash was wheat and how he didn't say but the taste when he tempted down was very nice and he said this run is for the Coopapedie boys where I mentioned I made a pot still for my farmer mate and we made made pure vodka where I said to make this better to do 2 runs. I fabricated a boiler and a pot still for him on his instructions and the result on parties was a hit.\\

This was my first intro into distilling and man by using fruit we made made a top drop using plums
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Professor Green » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:25 pm

Wellsy wrote:Hey guys
I am helping Sam with his airstill. I have not found a setting to make an adjustment between a stripping run or spirit run.
Is there a setting or do you use a voltage controller.

I assumed it was just dependant on what you put into the boiler but we all know what they say about assumption.

Thanks

I think you just run the air still normally for a stripping run Wellsy. It's more a double spirit run than a strip/spirit run with these things; you just don't bother with cuts on on the first and you collect down to 20%.

I think running a voltage controller might screw with the cooling capabilities so might not be the best thing to try.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Carol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:33 pm

Wellsy
Look up the guide to running the air still - i think it is in the pot still section. There is a diagram at the end that explains how to do the two runs.
As far as I know there are no settings/power control. It just does its thing.

carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Professor Green » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:38 pm

I think the image in that thread has gone missing. This post has a PDF in it which I think contains the same image though https://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13304#p228891
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:41 am

Thanks guys and gals
I had read that guide and found it exceptionally useful :)

Looks like I read to much into the stripping spirit run comments lol.
I am expecting good results from this small still and will be running it both ways.

Firstly as the manufacturer instructs, then the proper way :laughing-rolling:

That way I can show Sam how a small amount of effort can dramatically change the results. If it doesn’t he will be doing it the easy way :)

Thanks again
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BigRig » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:30 am

Yep the air still is simply a double spirit run. No temp or voltage control. Dont use the controller it will impact the fans ability to cool the product.

Hows this for vomitworthy. When i had my airstill i tried a kale wash. Not good.

I would only stick to the cereal washes for the air still.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby peter01010101 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:04 am

I use a voltage controller on a spirit run, but I have 2 power cords. One plugged via the controller into the boiler, the other straight into the fan socket. This way the fan runs full speed and I can slow the take off rate.
The second power cord was one I had from an old computer. Works a treat. Oh and I use a few bits of scrap copper instead of the ceramic saddles in the boiler. This helps the boil and introduces a bit of copper into an otherwise all stainless steel rig.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Postby Wellsy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:15 am

Thanks Peter
Sam is a retired computer repair man so that will be an option for him if he wants to put in the extra bit to get the extra reward.
The main reason for the excercise is to find the balance between reward and effort.
Great idea on the dual cords mate
Wellsy

Postby R3dRanga » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 pm

Hey Wellsy,

Looks like I read to much into the stripping spirit run comments lol.

I'm only a beginner, but I did the same thing - I read everything I could find about cutting, and stripping (and not the de-cladding type... I'm not that type of gal!) and have learnt a few things over the past weeks - my extensive distilling experience :D. I have a little 4L airstill - is that what Sam has? If not, this may not apply.

- Most of the time, heads don't seem to be make a diff, BUT the airstill can switch to tails very quickly on some runs. So I pay far more attention to tails than I do heads. Past 800ml I keep testing in small batches just in case. Sometimes goes sour/bitter at 800-900ml, other times ok to 1100ml (or occasionally beyond). I do test heads on spirit and final runs, but most of the time I use once I've checked smell (and taste if game!) against the next 500ml or so.

- Chillax when it comes to the stripping run. Just let it run, watch for real nasty tails, but don't stress too much. I tried both severe and small cuts for the stripping run but worked out it doesn't really matter. I just don't try to push it too far.

- I've accepted that a triple distill is required to get a decent neutral with 4L airstill. I dilute down to 20% ABV each run (I read on here "less flavour in, less flavour out").

- I started with Turbo Trio/Yeast (as per manufacturers instructions!) and it was terrible. TPW was heaps better, but still had a hint of tomato after triple distill and filter. WBAB was the best so far. It produced better than 'just drinkable' vodka - actually pretty good after triple distill. Have a FFV wash on now, but it'll be a week or so before I can report back.

I'm still using my ceramic saddles each run, just in case (my mother is a ceramic artists - perhaps I'll get her to make me a bunch more for the future!).

I hope that helps in some way. I'm grossly under-qualified to be shedding out advice but thought my "notes to self" might give others something to work with.

Cheers,
RR
Last edited by R3dRanga on Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Wellsy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:10 am

Thanks Red
All tips are gratefully accepted :)
And yes an airstill is exact what Sam has and we have a WBAB wash on the go now to test :)
Wellsy

Return to Beginners Questions