End grain or ratio the problem.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

End grain or ratio the problem.

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:08 pm

So... Been thinking bout astrigency and end grain.
I have tasted astringent spirit from a 2l barrel but not from my own 10l barrell. All side grain.

I have personally made astringent spirit from chips but not from dominoes.
Dominoes are fully saturated as are chips. So shape of dominoes is moot point because its completely saturated anyway.

So.....
You reakon it's the end grain that causes the problems or is it more so the spirit wood ratio that is the issue.
To much oak =astringent

I have however made astringent rum when aged at 80% on a domino. But again high abv higher solvent capability higher extraction from oak=same as too much oak?

Or have i just drunk too much piss..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: End grain or ratio the problem.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:16 pm

bluc wrote:
Or have i just drunk too much piss..

mmm why not try drinking what you made instead :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I only use about 4g's a litre on aging and never have a problem with over oaking but then again with using my big domino which I cut off what I need it is that well toasted the result is mm thick long grain :handgestures-thumbupleft: does the same job but no end grain to worry about
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:28 pm

I have gone as high as 30g l without issue.
But tiny barrel /chips/ high abv all caused issues all have something in common high oak spirit ratio.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:59 am

I have a big issue with astringency after as little as 8 weeks Bluc, but never with dominos.

My issue came when I got a 2 foot long strip of oak from a winery. I then foolishly cut it into inch blocks and exposed heaps of end grain. To maximise the long grain I split these blocks in to little slivers. Oaks very fast but gets astringent quickly. Hence why I was drinking whiskey mixed with vodka.

I only use the dominoes for long term aging now. I have put it all down to end grain and won’t make that mistake again.

Chips tend to have more long grain than end grain, the way I did it was to expose heaps of end grain, but you live and learn lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:42 pm

1. Too much end grain is never a good idea

2. Over oak anything at a "correct" ABV and you will pull more tannins, wether this be too many dominoes in a batch or too small a barrel for too long (surface ratio)

3. High ABV spirit will pull more tannins out of the oak

My thoughts anyway.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Rumblepants » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:12 am

what type of oak are you aging with? Is it first use?

I've found that French oak is alot milder and less astringent than US oak.

I age NGW at 60-65 ABV. Drops down to about 50 - 55ish after a year in 2L glass jars with PTFE tape seals.

I monitor the jars fairly closely. I use 6 inch long staves that weigh around 12-14gms for 2L. Leave them in until I feel the colour is getting to where I want it then I replace the 6 inch stave with a 3inch.

I've found blending the French oak aged with the American oak to be the best.

Cheers
Rumble
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:18 pm

I mainly use French Oak and this year with my AG generations I did put one down with American oak so in a years time it will be time to sample each generation to see if there is any difference in the oak.

Now as I age long term like I said above 4-5 grams a litre for a 5 litre glass demi is all that is needed and every month I do give the demi's a good shake to get some bubbles happening.

With my brandies well they are all French oak and as they are in 2 litre demi's 7-8 grams is all that is needed as it does take a long time for the fruit to come thru in the spirit so with too much oak it would spoil a good drop.

A good rule of thumb is thinking of the time to age and if it's short well use more oak but for long term aging use less oak.

Next year I'm going go to oak barrel aging so the learning curve will start again.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Beginners Questions