Waiting when will it end

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Waiting when will it end

Postby NFI » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:23 pm

I have got two 25L TPWs and a 55L TFFV fermenting at the moment. The TPWs are up to day 10 and the TFFV is at day 8.
One of the TPWs I could not get to a full seal so no bubbles to listen for but I could here the yeast at work the other one was bubbling away happily until abt day 5.
I checked their sg's on day 5 and it was around 1.02 so I gave them a good stir up and they got going again, today I have measured the sg of the not fully sealed one and it is at 0.95 but the other one is still bubbling through the lock at one or two bubbles per minute.
The TFFV is still bubbling away at about 10-12 bubbles per minute.
It has been exceedingly warm up here recently and very humid, the temperature in the shed is about 33-34 but the thermometers on the fermenters are saying 28-30.
I have not bothered turning their heaters on at night as our min temps are around 20 - 22.
So they are both going longer than anticipated and yet if anything the temperatures have been on the high side.
Do I just leave them alone until they stop bubbling or should I be taking readings, from way back I thought they slowed down to a few per hour or less before you started taking readings but that was doing beer.
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Re: Waiting when will it end

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:59 pm

I just leave the neutrals for 2 weeks (4 - 6 in winter) and never check gravity
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby NFI » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:03 pm

The Stig wrote:I just leave the neutrals for 2 weeks (4 - 6 in winter) and never check gravity

Thanks Stig.
Do you then go straight to boiler or rake off and settle again - generally?
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:29 pm

Straight to boiler
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Lowie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:36 pm

If you're not in a hurry, let them go. The temps you are fermenting at during the day are good, but if you want to make a better quality wash then try and regulate your temp to maintain as close as possible as you can to a regular temperature - yeast react to temperature fluctuation and can release off flavours (that's me coming from a beer brewer so I'm a bit pedantic). Once you're down to around 1010 let it settle for a week then run it. Of course you can run it earlier and still get a good product, but the longer you leave it the better it will get.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Beginners Questions