Tailsy Water

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Tailsy Water

Postby NFI » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:09 am

Just to have a play around, I tried to convert the still to a pot still with PC. Just Boiler 4" to 2"reducer 2*90deg elbows and PC.
Boiled up on 2 elements, PC flat out, once the elbows were very hot and started to get drips I cut back to one element and just let it drip - dribble for quite awhile.
After I had taken off roughly 6L I was still get very tailsy smell and taste :puke-huge: so I just shut it all down. I had rinsed out the boiler after the last run of TFFV but I had not strip down the rest.
I am more concerned that if I had just run another sugar was that it would have picked up the taste through the entire run.
Is this normal/does it matter?
I am looking at probably giving the whole think another double dishwasher run and soak the plates again in citric water. The bottom two plates look all brown the top two a mix of goldy red and brown.

Did I do something wrong.
Should I be stripping it down after each run (I know I have to when I switch between neutral and dark etc).
What is generally used for cleaning inside the boiler?
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Re: Tailsy Water

Postby BigRig » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 pm

I keep my bubble tee tower assembled and simply lift it on and off as needed. There is no need to disassemble and clean between every run. If you can work to a system where you run the lighter washes first then progress to the darker and dirtier washes last then you will not need to clean.

The fores and heads will clean the still so you dont have to worry about flavour carry over.

I just hose the boiler out when done on the last run.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:20 pm

I follow the above .
But, after doing the last rum run if the season I pull down , clean and replace seals
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:31 pm

The Stig wrote:I follow the above .
But, after doing the last rum run if the season I pull down , clean and replace seals

I look forward to an off season :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Never had one before :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by BigRig on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby B-Man » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:28 pm

I don't clean my still. I do rinse out my boiler though.
I should pull it apart every year for a clean as the glass gets a slight brown tinge (guessing from the copper).
I don't even follow an order of spirit runs. the fore's/ first bottle of heads from a TFFV did taste like a molasses run that was done the one before. but the next ones were fine. I just chuck those heads into my rum feints rather than the TFFV feints.

if im not going to do a run for a while I full reflux the last of my tails for 10 or so minutes to get a higher abv sitting in my bubble plates.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:47 am

OMG !!!!!!

No one told me there was a season to this hobby. Apologies everyone but it appears I have been running the still in the closed season. Can someone give me the dates please so I don’t make that mistake again :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby NFI » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:03 am

Thanks guys
Maybe I was just expecting to much from my distilled water - not the the main reason for the still obviously.
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Postby Dude » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:07 am

Wellsy wrote:

OMG !!!!!!

No one told me there was a season to this hobby. Apologies everyone but it appears I have been running the still in the closed season. Can someone give me the dates please so I don’t make that mistake again :laughing-rolling:

Closed season is from Dec 25 to 26.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Thanks dude, I guess I could clean everything on those days , or perhaps just enjoy the product
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Beginners Questions