hello, and a big general question....

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

hello, and a big general question....

Postby alberthealbinoalpaca » Sat May 21, 2022 3:50 pm

hello,

first post here. glad to find this place!

i am looking to make a proper still for pulling high ABV pure spirits, that runs simply and without too much fuss, for later flavouring in the bottle. I have done a very dodgy pot still setup and used it for 3 runs to make sure i know some basics, and am looking to find or concoct a design that i can make....

and yes, i was caffeinated when i pulled that slivovitz.

i am a metalworker and jeweller, and have a little workshop with drills, lathe, TIG, and lots of hand tools. use lots of stainless. i could make something fun. i like weird stuff, and the more obscure the better, but also love minimal clean functional things.
my question is, after getting through "the compleat distiller", should i just build a simple 2" boka? or design my own simple VM that takes care of itself easily? or should i look at buying riku's "designing and building automatic stills"? it would be electric heat (big solar off-grid), pump circulated cooling (water coming from and returning to the main tank water), and really only for 50l ferment tops, or maybe 35l.... i have knowledge of arduinos and basic controllers also, if that factors in with easy automatic stuff to play with....

cheers!
alberthealbinoalpaca

equipment: dodgy diy pot still and other possibilities yet undreamed of....

Re: hello, and a big general question....

Postby BigRig » Sat May 21, 2022 4:02 pm

I think from what you want to make and your skills then the boka is the go. They really are the most simple to operate.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Sat May 21, 2022 4:54 pm

Reading between the lines it looks like you want an automated still that you can set and forget and to my knowledge there is no such thing mate. With so many variables you need to watch your baby at all times, much like kids near water.
Welcome to the forum and apologies if I have misread your post in relation to automation.
Broke will definitely get you a more neutral flavoured higher abv product than a pot still will.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 21, 2022 5:36 pm

Wellsy wrote:Broke will definitely get you a more neutral flavoured higher abv product than a pot still will.

Um broke means your pennyless :laughing-rolling:

and

Neutral is flavourless

Anyway welcome to the forum mate and go take a look at some member builds to get some idea's :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby alberthealbinoalpaca » Sat May 21, 2022 10:03 pm

Cheers BigRig, Wellsy and Bryan - I will indeed look at builds here and read some more and ponder.... Looking forward to starting making again, though, I must say!!!
alberthealbinoalpaca

equipment: dodgy diy pot still and other possibilities yet undreamed of....

Postby Professor Green » Tue May 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Welcome AAA.

First off, I must stress that automation of stills is frowned upon here due to potential for calamity. Distilling is dangerous and an unattended still can lead to fire, explosion and possibly even death.
If you haven't got time to sit and monitor your still, performing the appropriate safety checks whilst it runs then you don't really have the time to distil.

Now that we have that out of the way, there are some great member build threads floating around the forums to inspire you in your quest. I can recommend going with something that is modular so you can configure your still appropriately for a variety of spirits.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Beato » Tue May 24, 2022 6:05 pm

Welcome AAA, from the info you have shared, my advice is to get a 50l beer keg, buy some heating elements and associated bits from FSD, build yourself a boiler and a boka. If decent neutral is your goal then this will serve you well , then if you stick around long enough, you will build or buy a bubbler!! Prove me wrong….
Beato

equipment: FSD 4” Copper Bubbler with SS packed section on a keg boiler with 4800 wasps

Return to Beginners Questions