I know nothing.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

I know nothing.

Postby extra_g » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:36 pm

I am considering buying a still but need to know whether it is for me or not.
There is so much to read, all I want at the end is a nice clean clear spirit that can be drunk @40% ABV with a mixer perhaps even add some flavours to.
Knowing this:
* do you think I would be happy with the T500?
* would there be any benefit to getting a controller on the boiler?
* what wash would I use to get a nice clean tasting spirit?
* how long is the distilling process with the T500?
* do you have to be present at all times during the distillation process?
*anything else I should be aware of?

I think these are the basics I need to be aware of to make an informed decision whether it is something I may undertake.

Cheers
extra_g

equipment: Nothing yet

Re: I know nothing.

Postby Hick1960 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:02 pm

Welcome extra_g

1- I started with a t500. Done the job but I quickly realised it limitations. Before you commit to one, do some research on other options. Basic builds are easy if you are capable with tools.

2- Definitely get a controller for your boiler.

3- TPW, FFV, WBAB washes are all good for a clean neutral. Check out the recipe section.

4- if you go down the T500 path allow at least 5 to 6 hours.

5- never leave your still unattended under any circumstances.

Read, read and then read some more. Work out what you want to make and then make a decision on what still you buy / build.
It’s a great hobby but it is time consuming and rewarding.
Plenty of guys and gals here to offer advice, enjoy the journey.
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby Carol » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi extra-g
I have a FSD 2" boka and pot. This is my first "proper" still.
See my thread here>

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12638

I make a high quality neutral.
I use TPW (tomato paste wash) or FFV ( fast fermenting vodka) with good results.
It is not a quick process but it is very rewarding.

You need to mind the still at all times - so it is not set and forget.
I usually find small jobs to do around the still (that do not require my full attention) so I can watch it and be useful at the same time.

I have not used the T500 so cannot comment on that.
Happy to answer any questions you might have about the boka and pot.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Welcome extra_g.

There are no shortcuts in distilling; it is a hobby that rewards those with patience and it is a good idea to read up as much as possible so you can make the informed decision you're after.

Things you need to consider:
  • budget.
  • how much room and time you have for distilling
  • the sundry items you will need (fermenter etc)

The Boka and pot suggested by Carol are excellent choices although if you're only looking to make neutral, you may not need the pot depending on whether you want to o a stripping/spirit run strategy of a single spirit run strategy. If you are unsure if distilling is for you, the 5-Star gear will have a higher resale value than a T-500. Having said that, the T500 is a capable still and there are many users here on the forums however it is not for everybody as some find they outgrow it's capabilities fairly quickly.

As the others have mentioned, you must never leave a still unattended. Distillation of ethanol can create an explosive and potentially lethal environment and you need to monitor the still to make sure it remains safe throughout your run. You'll need to be there to make your cuts anyway.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby B-Man » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:54 pm

I started with a T500 as my partner bought it for an xmas present, after the first run I realised it wasn't the one for me.

its an easy beginner still but pending what your like you might be bored of it after a few runs. Some people love them or the PD stills but they can only do one thing. Although I see a lot of posts about people complaining how hard it is to run :think:

My Thoughts
- Easy to use (but once you understand your still any are easy to use).
- If you don't have good steady water pressure you either need to buy a water regulator or make your own water recirculating system if you don't want to waste water.
- Can only run 25L at once. if you got lots of time or don't drink much at all then it might be ok. i want to have some aging for 5+ years so want a little stockpile.
- Can only do reflux unless you want to buy the alembic dome or stuff around and empty the column and modify it.

Conclusion
- If your handy either build your own or buy a better one to start with that suits your needs. Hitup Andrew @ FSD and see what would suit you.
Last edited by B-Man on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby extra_g » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pm

B-Man wrote:
- If your handy either build your own .

Do you mean to buy the pre-made parts and assemble one or to make one from scratch?

Also how much 40% ABV will a 25L wash yeild?

I will also add that I use to brew all grain beer but as I mentioned I only wish to make clear spirit and have no desire to make whiskys or dark rums. I may if I can be naffed do some malt extract washes but just maybe. If I could produce a nice clean clear spirit I would be more than happy with only doing that.
I would just reproduce the same product time and time again.
Last edited by extra_g on Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
extra_g

equipment: Nothing yet

Return to Beginners Questions