Stainless steel fermenter as a boiler - thoughts?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Stainless steel fermenter as a boiler - thoughts?

Postby Todd » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:09 pm

I'm exploring options and saw this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133230935970

What are peoples thoughs about something like this as a boiler?

s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd

equipment: None, just starting out.

Re: Stainless steel fermenter as a boiler - thoughts?

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:16 pm

They are super thin steel , think thinner than a corny keg.
It’ll depend on what you want to do with it ? Weld elements to it , be difficult they are so thin
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby oddian » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:23 am

I use a brewzilla as a boiler (mostly because I wanted to try it for grain mashing, which it's ok at) and it can well double as a boiler and fermenter but yeah anything you buy off ebay I'd be hesitant to give too much credit too. Even as a fermenter, temperature control on that thing would be a real pain without an element.

A large Digiboil or brewzilla (same things really) is a great fermented and boiler for the price. Note the "for the price" part because there are some amazing ones if you want to spend the cash out there.
oddian

equipment: Air Still

Postby appraiservaulter » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:26 pm

Using a stainless steel fermenter as a boiler might work, but ensure it's food-grade stainless steel and safe for heating. It could be a cost-effective option for small-scale brewing. Just be cautious and do your research before using it for this purpose.
appraiservaulter

equipment: reflux stills, column stills

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:35 am

Gidday Todd
one advantage of being old is that you have made plenty of learning experiences ( some call these mistakes) some of us even repeat the same mistake a few times just to make sure.
one of those many repeated learning experiences i have discovered is that you get what you pay for and no more :).

As others have said do your research mate. It might also help to work out what you want to do and buy to meet that target, rather than seeing something that might fit the bill and hope it will work. Please dont ask me how i know this :laughing-rolling:

we have all been where you are mate so keep the questions rolling in and remember this is meant to be fun not a stress :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluess57 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:12 am

Just get a 50L beer keg...
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby The Stig » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:09 pm

:text-+1:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:42 pm

Yep a beer keg is the way to go and back when I made my boiler I didn't have a tig so I just used some 316SS welding rod's and arc welded both 4" ferrules on :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now the top outlet will fit a 2" tri-clamp so for starting out no mod's need to done and those 3 ring crab burners do work so just sit the keg on a car wheel rim and away you go.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:17 pm

So, Todd, what is your end goal ?
I dont like fermenters that have elements pocking into them, makes it hard to stir and frankly you dont really want to be distilling on the grain with elements in there either so trying to cut corners making an all-in-one isnt really an option.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby chipboy » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:19 pm

Beer keg, so much you can do with one, made Wild Turkey in mine today, all grain! Yummy. Insulate to keep the heat in and save on energy costs. I agree with no elemnt in the distilling, ferment on grain and squeeze it out into the still.

Even masking with an element is a pain, it scorches and gets in t\he way, so many things to consider.
Last edited by chipboy on Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby Todd » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:03 pm

Thanks everyone, beer keg sounds unanimous.

Now I just have to find one. I'll keep an eye on gum tree. There is a pub with a stack outside not far from me, but not sure if I can ask the staff about them without seeming suspicious.....
Todd

equipment: None, just starting out.

Return to Beginners Questions