Usable alcohol left after spirit run?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Usable alcohol left after spirit run?

Postby Puk » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:51 am

Hi all,
I did my first spirit run yesterday in my pot still on my 50l keg boiler, and i took it down to just above 10% (chasing tails pretty deep for running the feints through a reflux still.)

My question is:
What is left in the still is around (or just above) 10% abv. (about 10l of it)

I have about 5-6 l of feints from this run, and the last few i did on my air still before i sold it. (around 70%abv)
do i have to do another TPW to add the feints to, for a run through my mates T500, or can i just use what i have left in the bolier, and add the feints to it, rather than doing another wash.

I mean 10% abv is 10%abv, right?

Or is what is left in the boiler going to be too offensive and not give me anything good?

Puk.
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Re: Usable alcohol left after spirit run?

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:17 am

I prefer to recycle the feints of each run with the next boiler charge.
Some wait till they have enough feints to do an all dents run.
Each to their own
Last edited by The Stig on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby howard » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:48 am

Puk wrote:Hi all,
I did my first spirit run yesterday in my pot still on my 50l keg boiler, and i took it down to just above 10% (chasing tails pretty deep for running the feints through a reflux still.)

My question is:
What is left in the still is around (or just above) 10% abv. (about 10l of it)
I mean 10% abv is 10%abv, right?

Or is what is left in the boiler going to be too offensive and not give me anything good?

Puk.

it's early and i can't think properly yet :smile:
but i don't think just because it's coming off at 10% means that the remaining 10L is all 10%.
maybe it's all to do with the boiling points of different mixtures.
eg when you are getting 96% abv on a reflux run, it doesn't mean that what's in the boiler is 96% does it?
when you are stripping a 10% wash and you start with around 60% at the spout, it doesn't mean that what's in the boiler is 60%.

ther's probably some scientific graph somewhere which would help us, but i need coffee right now (-|

btw i also use my feints in the next run
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Puk » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:53 pm

Yes, that makes sense.
I have thrown out what was left in the boiler and am making some more TPW to throw the feints in with, in my friend's reflux still.
I will go through all my 300ml bottles this afternoon and make my cuts and start the oaking/ageing process on this MacWhisky run.

Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby B-Man » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:45 pm

once you do it for a while you realise its not worth your time collecting under 20%
when it starts getting that low its probably in the 0.05% range for what's left in the boiler.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:09 pm

20 is fine for neutral
As low as you can be bothered for most other stuff(10 usually for me) there is a bunch of flavour sitting in there

There's also Sweetwater, after wet dog tails finish, what comes off is actually quite nice tasting and great for proofing down.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby harold01 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:23 pm

RC Al wrote:20 is fine for neutral
As low as you can be bothered for most other stuff(10 usually for me) there is a bunch of flavour sitting in there

There's also Sweetwater, after wet dog tails finish, what comes off is actually quite nice tasting and great for proofing down.

well I just learnt something, thanks for that, I have been shutting down at 30%
Will definitely be looking for the sweet water from now on
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby B-Man » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:58 pm

RC Al wrote:20 is fine for neutral

I was having some tails issues with my bubbler but with my t500 alembic dome I don't really get any wet dog tails just get what im guessing you call sweet water. I never really used it in the watering down. mainly because its already below 65% and would like to oak at 65% but since I was never using it I just ended up stopping everything at 20% might have to keep it for watering down my bubbler runs and see what it does. I normally do 2 runs in a day when I get a chance to do a still run so sometimes I stop the tails as soon as see any fusel oils starting so I can get another run done in the day
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions