Fermentation and yield

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Fermentation and yield

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Was just questioning my yield.

Can you leave a wash fermenting to long. ie 3 weeks
Or can you clear it and leave that for to long ie. 2 weeks

And would any of these or both of theses effect my yield

Thanks
Popcorn Jack
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Re: Fermentation and yield

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi PJ,
you can leave a fermented wash for several months before running thru the still.
it will have no effect on your yeild :smile:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi PJ
if you keep the wash out of direct sunlight but within the temps range of the yeast used in fermentation...and airlocked... I reckon you can be assured that (within reason) the longer you leave it, the more it has become fully fermented (maximium yield)/settled/ready for distilling(a 'different' maximum yield) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Perhaps better said :oops: .....IMHO, it is MUCH more likely that a forced/fast ferment; and/or an 'early' distillation will produce unfavourable results/less yield.
Frank

Postby stilly_bugger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Good question. It stands to reason, I would think :think: , that if you leave a wash sitting for too long without an airlock you're going to get evaporation, and what evaporates is going to be richer in alcohol than the wash itself. It would be just like a very slow still run where you've forgotten to attach a condensor. Your enriched vapour is heading off into the great blue sky, affecting your yield when you do get around to running your wash.

I leave my neutral washes for 3 weeks after they've finished fermenting. Gets 'em nice and clear. But with the 3 weeks it takes to really finish off fermentation tacked on (I don't use heating), that's 6 weeks in total. It's a long time for evaporation to take place, so I always airlock.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:46 pm

@Stilly-b
if you choose to leave a wash for a long time... surely, an airlock mechanism is always necessary (albeit that 'experts' may choose otherwise)..... unless you live somewhere South (or North) or the tropics/subtropics where airbourne probs are minimal??? :?
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 pm

I always just keep an eye on the level of the airlock as it ferments and if leaving it sit for a week or four after fermentation I just top it up to 3/4 full with boiled water and just check it every few days as the wash de-gasses.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm

[quote="Frank"]Hi PJ
if you keep the wash out of direct sunlight but within the temps range of the yeast used in fermentation...and airlocked...

It's a bit cool here at the moment and I may stall a few nights. What effect does this have on my yeast.. I only assume I'm better to keep it cooler than hotter..

Thanks
PJ
Popcorn Jack

A boka still in bits...

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Popcorn Jack wrote:
Frank wrote:Hi PJ
if you keep the wash out of direct sunlight but within the temps range of the yeast used in fermentation...and airlocked...

It's a bit cool here at the moment and I may stall a few nights. What effect does this have on my yeast.. I only assume I'm better to keep it cooler than hotter..

Thanks
PJ

Mate, yeast tends to 'go to sleep' when the washtemp is significantly LESS than the temp threshold.
But a slow rewarm (courtesy of applied heat like a heat belt/pad/blanket...see other threads ;-) ) will get the yeast fermenting again. :dance:
Mind you, if temp is significantly MORE for a while, the yeast dies....all gone etc
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:39 pm

I think a constant temp is best.

Depending on what yeast your using will obviously dictate what is the best temp range for your wash.

Quite a few guys here use electric blankets or brew boxes with a heater or a lamp with a controller to keep a stable temp.

I just use a homebrew heater belt and a controller ( and a windscreen foil wrapped around it ) to keep mine at 27 degrees ( using Lowans bread yeast ).

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Ya I agree.

Next project is to make a controlled environment. Need it for my wort as well.

Cheers
PJ
Popcorn Jack

A boka still in bits...

Return to Beginners Questions