Terminology

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Terminology

Postby Granpappy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey guys. Being a bit 'new' here I have come across a few terms I am not familiar with and really don't know what they mean - maybe someone could help me with the term 'racking'? No bloody idea of what it means, and as I have a TPW on at the moment had better find out because apparently it needs to be 'racked' before putting in the sitll?
Thanks in advance

Granpappy
Granpappy

equipment: Store bought 5 lt pot still and 4x25 lt fermenters

Re: Terminology

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=361

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

In simple terms rakcing is a process of beating the flesh of young ladies against your chest in a rapid repditive motion, best done while guessing their wieght siting on your face.

It usually costs me about $80 per session but I don't have to provide breakfast or small talk which suites me entirely.

If you need more detail please let me know and I'll provide the SA address.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby stephenkentucky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Bt1 I love it.....but you are one sick puppy.

oops just checked out the link you were given granpappy there is no definition for racking I can see, so I will try to explain quickly.... Racking is the process of pumping or siphoning the fermented wash or liquid of the settled"lees" or solids (things such as yeast and protien solids) this results in less crap in the boiler. Depending on what sort of fermenter you use, the HBS plastic ones can often be racked off by simply opening the tap and being careful to not disturb the "trub" (ie the crap settled on the bottom of the fermenter.... So mate just take the clear liquer of the settled solids...and you have racked the wash.
( sorry if I sometimes usewine or brewing terms ....old habits)
Last edited by stephenkentucky on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephenkentucky

Postby Granpappy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey bt1 - this is just the answer I was lookin for - it's put all my concerns about racking to rest and I am coming over to SA real soon to find me some of these young 'uns you're talking bout - and talk bout cheap! Only $80 AND I don't need to provide a feed - ya won me ....... :teasing-tease:
Granpappy

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17 pm

The distillers version of racking :)) is to pour the wash off the lees into another container :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Ah yup bt ain't bullshiting about drinking that bushmills I'd guess :teasing-tease: but $80 rip off give em a couple a drinks if they bring round some Maccas
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 pm

I like BT1's explanation better :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Cupcake wrote:I like BT1's explanation better :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Might be your only option after friday nights antics :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Hey Mr Pappy
IMHO (regarding distillation practices) you dont have to do any racking of a TPW prior to distillation. Just give it time to finish fermentation, a day or two of cool temp at the end of fermentation, and be careful when transferring to your boiler. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:28 pm

As Frank said no need to rack it off, unless your really keen ... It won't hurt to do so.

BUT ...

It's all good to leave it in the fermenter for a few weeks if need be ... Run it when your ready.

I always siphon mine off from the top with a hose that has a chopstick cable tied to the side of it sticking out beyond the tube as a depth gauge so I don't draw up any muck when filling my boiler.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Granpappy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks Mcstill, grumpthehermit and Frank - as for putting it someplace cool, well we've got plenty of that here at the moment, minus 4 this morning and supposed to be minus 14 on Wednesday.... The fermenter is sitting near the open fire and still happily gurgling away. I'll wait and see how it goes before I make my mind up about racking it - all depends on how patient I think I am on the day.
Granpappy

Postby zwagerman9 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 am

Racking friday............penicillin monday. Hahaha
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby Granpappy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm thinking more of racking Friday, penicillin beginning Thursday (before the racking)...... :laughing-rolling:
Granpappy

Postby bt1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 pm

GP,

your racking tomorrow time to consider taking the medicine...let us know how it goes bloke.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Terminology

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 pm

I don't think anyone has explained it properly above.

Once a fermentation has completely finished you can (if you want) transfer to another container (rack) to let it settle out again in the hope the end product is more pure.

You will see a lot of beer sites state this has to be done and various other shit but in reality like everyone has said just leave it for a while (2 ~7 days depending on temp) and it will be fine in the original fermenter
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby stilly_bugger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Good old Wikipedia does the job of defining Racking.

The Home Distiller wiki also defines the term, but in brief:

Racking
The process of siphoning the beer or wine off the lees to allow clarification and aid in stabilization. A Racking Hose or tubing is used and can be attached to a Racking Cane to make this task easier.

Wikipedia has more pictures. Neither really explains why a distiller would bother racking off. Sam_and_liv gets closer to the money with his 'the end product is more pure'.

There seem to be two scenarios in which people 'rack' their ferments.

• During fermentation. Some people 'rack' or decant the fermenting liquid from an open container into an airlocked container if the initial stage of fermentation produces a lot of foam (due to high protein ingredients). Once that foaming has settled they 'rack' the ferment to reduce exposure to airborne bacteria.
  • After fermentation is complete. Some people 'rack' or transfer the fermented liquid from the fermentor into another container (usually a clean fermentor) to aid clarification or, as what I do, to eliminate the chance of disturbing settled yeast when moving your wash to your boiler.

Which raises the question: Is 'racking' a habit that I've kept from my Turbo days? I always thought that yeast cells exploded at the high temps you get in a boiler, producing off tastes. Is that true or BS? Quite a few people who've been around for some time don't worry about racking or clearing washes.

And you'll find a glossary of other terms here.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions