Heat insulation Idea

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Heat insulation Idea

Postby Citris » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 am

Hello again

I was at the workbench last night working on a way to turn a 98L pot into a boiler, in anticipation for the masterpiece to be created (Thanx McStill). No I was working out a way to insulate the pot, since a lot of you guys recommended it. As I move around a lot, I have been building a racking system, that’s all on wheels ect, and I figured a brick oven or cabinet would be much to heavy to load into a ute, so I am looking for a more lightweight method.

What I was thinking was just using a few bricks to make a base for the burner, so the flames are concealed by the pot (This is more because I don’t want an open flame near alcohol). But I was struggling to work out what to use to insulate the pot. Then I remembered something, I do a lot of work on my own and mates cars, and I use a product called Heatshield, its a sort of a tape that you wrap around the exhaust to stop it from damaging the body work or other parts. I remember wrapping this around an exhaust manifold that was hitting about the 600c mark, and it was warm to touch once it was heated up, so its a bloody good insulator. I am just curious to see if anyone else has tried this, and if their is any stats on how well it worked. I cant see there being a problem, and I have heaps laying around, I am just no where near close to that point yet.

Edit: This is the product http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/productdetail/exhaust-heat-wrap/lava-exhaust-wrap/37/34 Its rated at about 650c, but I'm sure a boiler will never get close to that haha. It also says "Reduces radiant heat from pipe up to 50%" but I can tell you its better then this, cos I wouldn't be touching a 300c pipe lol, however we did do 2 layers.
Citris

equipment: Local HBS Kit - Not sure yet...

Re: Heat insulation Idea

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 am

Heatshield is good mate but fucking dear :angry-banghead: It's about the only thing though if using gas
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Re: Heat insulation Idea

Postby Citris » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:21 am

Yeah I have about 40 miters of it here somewhere :D so price ant to big an issue, I hope it doesn't catch on fire tho, I mean, flames might be lapping at it... Maybe some fireproof stuff over the base of it... :think:
Citris

equipment: Local HBS Kit - Not sure yet...

Return to Beginners Questions