Help required please...

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Help required please...

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Folks,
I hope all that reads this thread is in good health, l have acquired a length of 4" copper pipe and want to build my own reflux still, l do not want to get to technical as l like the kiss approach to the things l do. I can go as high as l like to a point keeping in mind the law of diminishing returns as l am using a 50lt keg for the boiler...so hoping the good folk of this forum can steer me in the right direction with out me having to learn to much ( $ ) from bugger ups l might or might not make during this build. All help will be appreciated.

:text-thankyoublue:
JayD
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Re: Help required please...

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:47 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: that's the go DeeJ,what tools ya got? And what grog do you wish to indulge in?
There are plenty of blokes on here that will lend their expertise to whichever build you wish to turn your hand to :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Cupcake wrote::handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: that's the go DeeJ,what tools ya got? And what grog do you wish to indulge in?
There are plenty of blokes on here that will lend their expertise to whichever build you wish to turn your hand to :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have acquired many tools over the years and skills to match, l am using lpg at the moment as it is at hand and lead free solder, I have a oxy set however at present no bottles as the time between use make its hard to justify the cost of rental on the bottles...tape measure, pipe cutters and tube expanders can be borrowed from a friend. Keen to go but do not want to waste anything as it is too damn expensive...have read so much on this its starting to melt my brain...oh nearly forgot what type of grog...l like Bourbon, Whiskeys and something to keep me cook happy.
Last edited by JayD on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JayD

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Sorry JayD,fuct the name up :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: my fukin fingers are too cold :crying-blue:
Cane Toad

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Cupcake wrote:Sorry JayD,fuct the name up :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: my fukin fingers are too cold :crying-blue:

alls good... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm an out and out bubbler man myself,and like the bourbon and rum that I indulge in :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: There are heaps of builds in the perf plate section,and with 5Star on board with www.5stardistilling.com.au all the little extras for the beautification of a piece of gear that will last foreva,barring mishaps, :angry-banghead: It just depends on how much you want to outlay :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Macs easy flange and other little tips are readily accessable and pretty well explained :handgestures-thumbupleft: even I could follow em :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: But take the time to plan the build,measure twice and cut once,and don't rush in like a bull at a gate :D you'll be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft: if not sure,ask! We're here to help
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 pm

I reckon JD you might want to think twice bout going a 4" reflux column if your main ambition is bourbon & rum flavors, I honestly think you'd be better off cutting 500mm off that 4" pipe and having a go at making a big pot still.

You'll be facing a few issues if you decide to go ahead with a 4" reflux still, like packing and boiler size, heat input etc etc.

Before you cut up that copper think long and hard about what you really want, research here, HD & AD and make your decisions carefully.

Whatever you choose to do though, you better fucken show us with pics and tell us about your fuck ups... :)) :))

Most of all, have fun & enjoy the journey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Now,a 4" pot still :think: THAT would be cool :handgestures-thumbupleft: Has anyone done one yet? Been a few 3"ers lately,you could be one of the first mate,well on here anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It'd be quick,if you can get the vapor knock down happening :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Cupcake wrote:Now,a 4" pot still :think: THAT would be cool :handgestures-thumbupleft: Has anyone done one yet? Been a few 3"ers lately,you could be one of the first mate,well on here anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It'd be quick,if you can get the vapor knock down happening :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Kimbo's got one, punkins made one, I had one.... been a few done..... would be one of the 1st if he went 4" boka though.

Hey cuntcake what happened to the 8" bok you were gunna build? :laughing-rolling:

P2131307.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Goldie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Go the 4" pot, it's the next on my build list :ugeek:
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 pm

[mcstill] I reckon JD you might want to think twice bout going a 4" reflux column if your main ambition is bourbon & rum flavors, I honestly think you'd be better off cutting 500mm off that 4" pipe and having a go at making a big pot still.

You'll be facing a few issues if you decide to go ahead with a 4" reflux still, like packing and boiler size, heat input etc etc.

Before you cut up that copper think long and hard about what you really want, research here, HD & AD and make your decisions carefully.

Whatever you choose to do though, you better fucken show us with pics and tell us about your fuck ups...

Most of all, have fun & enjoy the journey

ok...l'm in no rush as I want to do the reflux properly...

Cupcake wrote:Now,a 4" pot still :think: THAT would be cool :handgestures-thumbupleft: Has anyone done one yet? Been a few 3"ers lately,you could be one of the first mate,well on here anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

as i've stated earlier all the reading and decisions which way to go has started doing in my head...lack of funds started me looking for methods l could use to save money to spend where l had no choice in the matter and to keep my self sain l already started fabricating off the hip...this is 51 cm to the 3" step down and ends up at 69cm l've just got to work out cooling, so l could be further along than l think? what do you think of this so far? and by the way the tubes on the ground are my 4" tubes...

flangeattemp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Goldie wrote:Go the 4" pot, it's the next on my build list :ugeek:

You my friend have a serious problem, if I ever seen an addiction to copper worse than mine it's you :laughing-rolling:

BTW I'm setting up a counselling service for peeps like you, my fees are cheap :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Goldie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Nice work on the easy flange, looks good.

McStill wrote:
You my friend have a serious problem, if I ever seen an addiction to copper worse than mine it's you :laughing-rolling:

BTW I'm setting up a counselling service for peeps like you, my fees are cheap :D

Yeah I think the turning purchase for me was the day I bought a load of copper from a plumber getting out of the trade, so much pipe, so little time. My Mrs seconds you on the addiction call. I am a junkie.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Goldie wrote: Nice work on the easy flange, looks good.

McStill wrote:

Yeah I think the turning purchase for me was the day I bought a load of copper from a plumber getting out of the trade, so much pipe, so little time. My Mrs seconds you on the addiction call. I am a junkie.

Thanx Goldie ...and thankyou mcstill for posting a handy tip like this for blokes like me, you already helped me without even realising it. :text-thankyoublue:
JayD

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:11 am

Air Traffic Control wouldn't give me the permit to impose on their airspace :angry-banghead: When I get back home I'm gunna finish the thumper for Bertha :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Now that should raise a few eyebrows :D Anyhoo we're getting a bit OT :doh:
Cane Toad

Postby JayD » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:50 am

McStill wrote:

Kimbo's got one, punkins made one, I had one.... been a few done..... would be one of the 1st if he went 4" boka though.

Hey cuntcake what happened to the 8" bok you were gunna build? :laughing-rolling:

P2131307.jpg

reading researching and more reading and l'm starting to think l might go 4" Boka as it seems to be capable of being two stills in one, l always liked versatility. l'm thinking of going with one straight length of 4" to start with then after l replenish the bank acc, cut and tuck to make it modular for ease of transport...have we got any good drawing on Bokas l could follow? doesn't have to be a tech drawing a rough cartoon would suffice...meanwhile back in the workshop lm gearing up for other projects l have going as l dont like working on one thing for too long, l like being able to stop what l'm doing have break and go to another job to keep myself keen enough to do a good job...
JayD

Postby JayD » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:16 am

I was just looking @ mcstill boka for sale and need to ask a question about its design, is there a need for the thiner tube between the column and the condensor head ?? can you have a straight tube up to the top ?
JayD

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:17 am

Here you go

drawing_09_double_reducer_DR.jpg

Ignore the sizes but you could use it to scale up to 4"

What are you going to pack the column with?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:19 am

JayD wrote:I was just looking @ mcstill boka for sale and need to ask a question about its design, is there a need for the thiner tube between the column and the condensor head ?? can you have a straight tube up to the top ?

In the plans I posted you can see the narrower section creates the distillate resevior at the top, and also acts as a centering ring at the bottom :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby JayD » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:21 am

McStill wrote:Here you go

drawing_09_double_reducer_DR.jpg

Ignore the sizes but you could use it to scale up to 4"

What are you going to pack the column with?

thank you for your quick response.. :handgestures-thumbupleft: I was thinking of using SS for the packing...
JayD

Next

Return to Beginners Questions