Running Speed

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Running Speed

Postby Multipleg » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:35 pm

I've read a few posts over the various forums that claim that running too fast increases smear but running too slow increase the burn of the product when you drink it.

I completely understand the running too fast warning but is it actually possible to run too slow? How could that effect the "burn" of the product? It's either drinking alcohol or it's not. It's either pure or it's not. Can running slow introduce anything else into the product that would be in lower quantity if taken faster?

Cheers.
Multipleg
Site Donor

equipment: Beer keg boiler, pot still and a VM column.

Re: Running Speed

Postby law-of-ohms » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Running too slow can induce Sobriety

:)) :))

But seriously, Run as slow as your patience can withstand.

If I have 200L of rum wash to do, I need to go a bit faster...
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby bigwheel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:48 am

Seems as if the prevalent theory is the slower the collection rate the more pure the finished product.
bigwheel

equipment: 3" Brewhaus SS combo reflux/pot still..15 gallon milk bucket boiler. Copper mesh packing.

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 am

Depends whether you are running a reflux or a potstill. All fine to run a reflux slowly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Try it with a potstill if you reckon everybody else is wrong :D
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby LWTCS » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:35 am

Not going to add to the fray about the burn,,,,,,but there is no doubt that running to slowly will cause some to impale ones ear drum with an ice pick.
I'm sure there is a scientific formula circulating round that can adequately explain this phenomena?

All joking aside,,,would love to see my previous statement explained via maths!!! Id put that on a tee shirt in a minute :)) :)) :)) Not that I would know what the hell it truely explained :think:
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby bigwheel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:52 am

Hmmm..not sure on all this bizness. I aint found no advantages to running a slow pokey refluxer. Looks like if a person was anal about purity they just let it reflux a bit longer then collect it at the standard rate. If you shove it through there without water to the column it still a bunch more pure than triple slow pot stilled. Just got into a lively discussion with the pot still crowd. They claiming to fiddle around with that stuff for six hours on a five gallon run. Not sure what they are smoking eggxactly. Know some of that stuff supposed to make time pass faster or slower as the case may be.

5Star wrote:Depends whether you are running a reflux or a potstill. All fine to run a reflux slowly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Try it with a potstill if you reckon everybody else is wrong :D
bigwheel

equipment: 3" Brewhaus SS combo reflux/pot still..15 gallon milk bucket boiler. Copper mesh packing.

Return to Beginners Questions