Reading 4TK Triple scale hydrometer

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Reading 4TK Triple scale hydrometer

Postby Boomgate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Heya guys, finally got the chance to go and get a hydrometer, got it home and checked my wash, it is reading abobe the number 1000 (which means it is 999 I guess) , it is at the top of the red bit on the 4TK hydrometer...

Its a bit hard to tell which scale I am following, it says spirits at the top in one area, and then beer underneath it...

So does this mean it is ready for clearing?

wash hydromter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: Reading 4TK Triple scale hydrometer

Postby Kimbo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:56 pm

1000 is good to run, 990 is better.
as long as it stays consistent over a cuppla days, your good to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm assuming you know that this Hydrometer is a wash hydrometer and not suitable for your spirits (Actuarly I'm not going to assume that)
An alcometer (spirit hydrometer) is calibrated correctly for your spirits. So unless your an expert at reading the bead or intend to float calibrated vessels ya had better zip down to the HBS and get one before ya run that puppy ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Boomgate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:13 pm

croweater wrote:I'm assuming you know that this Hydrometer is a wash hydrometer and not suitable for your spirits (Actuarly I'm not going to assume that)
An alcometer (spirit hydrometer) is calibrated correctly for your spirits. So unless your an expert at reading the bead or intend to float calibrated vessels ya had better zip down to the HBS and get one before ya run that puppy ;-)

Yup, got an alcoholmeter at the same time :)
Boomgate

Postby Boomgate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:19 pm

I think I get it now... the bottom of the blue bar saying spirits means the lowest spirits.... the top of the blue means the top end.... Ill wait a few more days...
Boomgate

Postby crow » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Kimbo wrote:1000 is good to run, 990 is better.
as long as it stays consistent over a cuppla days, your good to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Don't worry about all that crap on there just follow the above instruction and you'll be right
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Beginners Questions