Bubble column?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Bubble column?

Postby Kimbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 pm

SBB wrote:Ive read most of the posts Mac made in his early days on another forum, and from what Ive see he did a lot more reading than asking questions, in the early part anyway.
One of the reasons this forum was created was because of the way newbies were treated on that forum.
Yes at times we all try and take the easy way out and ask questions, I for one pestered Mac with questions for weeks when i built my bubbler. He never failed to give me answers I wanted.
Having said that I think we all need to keep reading and doing our own research as well.........its the only way you will ever have a good understanding of this hobby.
SBB

Well said Salty ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Popcorn Jack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 pm

I agree 100% with you salty.
I agree this forum is a lot kinder to nobodies
Mc stills knowledge is extensive which makes it invaluable and envious.
I mean no disrespect to anyone. I am light hearted fella who doesn't give a fuck most the time.
My point is this is a forum and the purpose behind these are, after your hours of reading and looking around there is always a question. I would agree that we need to keep reading to find the answers but I just couldn't find it.

This question came from the fact that I am starting to build a pot still. While studying thumpers Iacidently came across plate bubblers. What I wanted to know is does distilling with a thumper have the same principle theory compared to a bubbler.
This is a personal experience question I think. It's like comparing any othercondensing units. Lm/vm ( I thought )
I know the question was broad but was worded for a simple yes or no and was happy with crow eaters roundabout answer. But surprised that some noobies wondered the same thing. There must be a link to the benefits of running your vapor through liquid. But if the answer is keep reading it's keep reading. Just where?

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby crow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Well , did ya check to see if the answers ya want are in the library, there really is a lot of litriture there . If not bud HD might not be the best place to ask noob questions but let me tell you they sure got one hell of a lot of imfo to read there. I'm not sure what ya want to know about , thumpers of plate? once again you've asked a double bladed question that I already thought I answered without going into all the various ways you could go about building these things which as i already pointed out would take many many many pages to go into detail about soooo sometimes for some questions we have no choice but to say that dreaded go forth educate thy self, this is one such occasion ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Popcorn Jack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby crow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Popcorn Jack wrote:http://orgchem.colorado.edu/Labs/Quizzes/Column-key.pdf

My question is answered

either wrong link or your Idea of comic relief :O)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Popcorn Jack wrote:Could you say a bubble column is like a upscale of a thumper?

PJ

A general answer would be no.

They do a similar thing in a different way. They both provide for more distilation cycles
emptyglass

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions