Bubble column?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Bubble column?

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:11 am

Could you say a bubble column is like a upscale of a thumper?

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Bubble column?

Postby Lupus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks for asking the question, it's been brewing in my mind too. I was wondering whether it acted like an in line multiple thumpers.

The only thing that may say no is that the bubblecap is using reflux distillate as it's medium, while a thumper has other liquid, usually wash or tails?
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Re: Bubble column?

Postby googe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:59 pm

I've asked this in the past, preper to get told to read :laughing-rolling: . Secret squrial stuff ;-) , just read the bubbler chat thread and the ibrary :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby crow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Having not seen a thump still for 20 odd yrs I better be careful how I answer but really I'd have to say No . Yes they achieve the same thing more or less but not quite in the same way. A bubble cap is merely a variation of a sieve plated column which it self is simply an improvement on the old split plate still . As much as I hate to tell ppl to go and read ti would take me pages to explain how they both operate but to put it simply a thump box is normally a separate liquid filled vessle that the vapour enters below the liquid level until such time as the temp of the vapour increases the temp in the thump box enough to redistil purifying the vapour at each box until it gets to the output. So like I said achieves the same by a completly different method ;-) (there clear as mud ain't it ) :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Crow eater, you crack me up. You have replied to a few of my questions and I always get great answers with a chuckle.

Googe, I doent get it either. I have been constantly reading and researching and when you come to a question you are told to keep looking. I thought this is what a forum is for... But I suppose ppl want you to know it all as well as they do before asking anything..lol. Next thing you know we have a distilling forum where we talk about what's for dinner!! :angry-banghead:

Perhaps just a guide to a link would help :-B

PJ
Popcorn Jack

A boka still in bits...

Postby googe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Like crow said jack, would probably take someone a week to explain or on a post. Over found out most about or from the library and the bubbler chat. good luck.
googe

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 pm

by Popcorn Jack » 30 Oct 2012 07:11

Could you say a bubble column is like a upscale of a thumper?

PJ

What type of bubble column?

Popcorn Jack wrote:

Googe, I doent get it either. I have been constantly reading and researching and when you come to a question you are told to keep looking. I thought this is what a forum is for... But I suppose ppl want you to know it all as well as they do before asking anything..lol. Next thing you know we have a distilling forum where we talk about what's for dinner!! :angry-banghead:

Perhaps just a guide to a link would help :-B

PJ

This just simply isnt true mate, and it takes a fair amount of understanding to know what goes on inside a bubble column,

Answering such a broad basic question is very time consuming and could take many paragraphs to explain, for example, there are at least 4 types of tray that can be used in a bubble column and a plethora of other factors that can all act differently.

To be fair on us guys that do know about these things & have done extensive testing, studying & reading I think it's only fair that you should at least do a little research and try to understand at least the basics, before demanding answers that have been given many many times over.

There is so much info out there on these stills now days it's not funny, type "plated column still" in google for instance.... it's all there ;-)

Once you have at least a basic understanding I think you'll find people more willing to discuss all the finer points.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:25 pm

I guess the answer to the question is " no, there are to many different types of bubble columns"
No disrespect but it is difficult to know how broad a person can answer a question.

Thanks
PJ
Popcorn Jack

A boka still in bits...

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Popcorn Jack wrote:I guess the answer to the question is " no, there are to many different types of bubble columns"
No disrespect but it is difficult to know how broad a person can answer a question.

Thanks
PJ

More to the point how broad can someone ask a question? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Got the thinking cap on tonight Sam! :))
googe

Bubble column?

Postby Lupus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am

PJ
I have been trying to read up on the stills as well. Not so much the construction, but the theory behind them and how they work.

I too saw the similarities between the thumper and the bubblecap column and was thinking the same question when you posted.

Found the following link off a homedistiller thread describing the fabrication of a plated column still. I found the link between the bubblecaps and thumpers interesting, with the author indicating the inline nature if the bubblecap being mire efficient than that of the thumper.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_lib ... 7.html#7-4
Lupus

Postby googe » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:40 pm

There's some links in here might help too, don't like that thread though, think I was starting to annoy some with my endless questions :shifty: :laughing-rolling:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1935
googe

Postby Popcorn Jack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks for the treads boys...
I'm glad to see that some believe a forum is where you get answers and share experiences.

Suppose I could apologize as well for the " how long is a piece of string question" that some may feel there is a certain level a hobbits must reach before we can rub bellies around a BBQ. ^:)^

My first build will be a pot still with a thumper atatchment with the $130 of copper I bought. Researched that plan.

Happy brewing
PJ
Popcorn Jack

A boka still in bits...

Bubble column?

Postby Lupus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:05 pm

PJ
I should be coming to you for help :P I don't even have a still yet.

But no problems regarding the links. We are all here to learn. The guys on here have been polite regarding their answers. I have been on other forums where newbies are roasted for not doing their homework.

BTW, if you get more links, please feel free to share :)
Lupus

Postby Popcorn Jack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Cool lupus

I have been to those sites too. I know you are always learning, and that includes what not to ask in the beginners index.

PJ

GL with getting a still. Fuck loads of fun!!
Popcorn Jack

A boka still in bits...

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 pm

Being a smart arse and goading people is not going to increase the chances of anyone spoon feeding you PJ :handgestures-thumbdown:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Popcorn Jack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm

McStill wrote:Being a smart arse and goading people is not going to increase the chances of anyone spoon feeding you PJ :handgestures-thumbdown:

Sorry MC your right, I will stop goading but it just gets my goat. It's a forum.
Just one question though, did you have a home distilling forum when you started

Apologies again
PJ
Popcorn Jack

A boka still in bits...

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Popcorn Jack wrote: did you have a home distilling forum when you started
PJ

No
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Ive read most of the posts Mac made in his early days on another forum, and from what Ive see he did a lot more reading than asking questions, in the early part anyway.
One of the reasons this forum was created was because of the way newbies were treated on that forum.
Yes at times we all try and take the easy way out and ask questions, I for one pestered Mac with questions for weeks when i built my bubbler. He never failed to give me answers I wanted.
Having said that I think we all need to keep reading and doing our own research as well.........its the only way you will ever have a good understanding of this hobby.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby googe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:33 pm

SBB wrote:Ive read most of the posts Mac made in his early days on another forum, and from what Ive see he did a lot more reading than asking questions, in the early part anyway.
One of the reasons this forum was created was because of the way newbies were treated on that forum.
Yes at times we all try and take the easy way out and ask questions, I for one pestered Mac with questions for weeks when i built my bubbler. He never failed to give me answers I wanted.
Having said that I think we all need to keep reading and doing our own research as well.........its the only way you will ever have a good understanding of this hobby.
SBB

:clap: :clap:
googe

Next

Return to Beginners Questions