Newbie question about re-distilling

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Newbie question about re-distilling

Postby badseed » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 am

Someone once told me "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

So here goes...
I would like to make this Ouzo:http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=286 or something similar

I have looked at a few versions and they all seem to require re-distilling.
Like this:
Add neutral to spices etc
leave for a week
add water
distill

So, my question. When you do this do you still have to remove foreshots and heads?
I thought that since you were using a clean neutral all the bad stuff was gone already.

Is my science flawed?
badseed

equipment: Air Still.
3 x 30l plastic fermenters
1x 20l glass fermenter
Temp controlled brew fridge

Re: Newbie question about re-distilling

Postby crow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 pm

No not flawed mate its kinda up to you when you redistill ethanol what ever impurities are left in will compress and distill off at the given temps they distil at . Each time you run something there will be less and less of them, I would keed them separate personally but if you didn't it would only have the same amount/make up of impurities you started with. Hope that makes sense to you
Cheers Crow
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby badseed » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Yes perfect sense.Thanks

One recipe I saw had 1l neutral and then 1l water added.
It said to keep a litre. I may try this and just see how it smells when it starts coming out.
badseed

equipment: Air Still.
3 x 30l plastic fermenters
1x 20l glass fermenter
Temp controlled brew fridge

Postby SBB » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:02 pm

The Ouzo type drink that is made by following the recipe in this link is about as close as your going to get in my opinion,
I love the stuff and doubt you will be disappointed. Follow the recipe the first time and see what you think. If its not to your liking, experiment with different quantities of spices/ herbs. Try to start with a good clean neutral if possible.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=286
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions