Is it worth Insulating ?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Is it worth Insulating ?

Postby Linny » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 pm

I insulated the boilers, reflux column and condenser .... i ran higher water pressure. which i feel gave me a cleaner product. But looking around ive been told that insulating the reflux column goes to opposite to what im trying to acheive...

does increasing the water pressure , slow the collection by making the condenser knock down more alcohol. making a better product?

so do i keep the boiler and condenser insulated while ditching the reflux column insulation ?

and finally for a strip run , do you bother with packing in the column ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: Is it worth Insulating ?

Postby mullamulla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 pm

I certainly wouldn't bother with packing on a strip run, you just want to pump it out as fast as possible IMO

As far as insulating goes I would also like to know how much of a difference it makes, I haven't insulated mine but I have only run it in a hot shed with no breeze... I've been VERY happy with the product though :mrgreen:
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby JayD » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I am still learning but have ran my bokas un insulated and insulated and now I only run them dressed up black and sexy insulated. To me, it sorta like set and forget...up to temp and steady as she goes...imo
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:47 pm

JayD wrote:I am still learning but have ran my bokas un insulated and insulated and now I only run them dressed up black and sexy insulated. To me, it sorta like set and forget...up to temp and steady as she goes...imo

Exactly, without it insulated you can get fluctuations in temp which can smear your run. Prob not too bad if running in a shed but if outside with a breeze could become a problem. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Linny » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm

im going to play with a few more runs tonight , and ill let you how i go.... because i have a small still , its easy and fast for me to play with different settings.... learn the craft :handgestures-thumbupleft:
so far im timing and recording everything... just need to try a few different combinations
Linny

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Need to update your equipment list too bud :whistle:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I insulated my column a few runs ago and it really sped things up. I used the saftey pads off a trampoline for the column and wrapped a wool blanket around the boiler.
IMHO it is worth insulating
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Linny » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 pm

i noticed that with my still being a CM ,,, insulated column works like a blast ... literally saves about 40min , and now i run it to 98*C .... ( so many mistakes :angry-banghead: )
when i do my spirit run , i take the column insulation off and turn the water pressure up to slow things down.... takes waaaay longer , but im sure im getting a better product :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Return to Beginners Questions