Still advice for natural distillate

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Still advice for natural distillate

Postby metter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Firstly, excellent site can't believe I didn't find it years ago.

I have just got back in to distilling after several years of drinking shiraz only.

I have a stillspirits reflux still (the one with only a marble). I have also only ever used the turbo yeasts but yesterday started my first TPW :-D

I also distilled a wash of turbo (made with turbo sugar) and cut the was: never heard of this before but couldn't believe the different smell of the head (which I will chuck in the next batch). I also replaced the marble with some stainless steel packing.

A couple of questions if I may:

If I run as a pot still and run through stripped first before a final spirit run do I take everything till it's only coming out at 10%?

I didn't seem to get much in the way of tails but I stopped collecting at 85%, if this correct for a spirit run?

If I wanted to get a better still to produce natural distillate (not interested in whiskey or rum - just want to flavour up) what would be recommended and is there a condenser that could fit on my 25 litre stillspirit boiler or would I need to move to a keg boiler as well?
metter

equipment: Stillspirits Reflux.

Return to Beginners Questions