My first run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: My first run

Postby toadskin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Yes, I have the first 250ml and the last 750ml separated from the rest. After the first 250ml, I collected two litres which I have kept, and the last 750ml I mixed it with the foreshot and have that in another bottle.

I just wanted to know if the two middle litres were usable if I dilute then down to 40%.
toadskin

equipment: Home made Reflux still with Liebig condenser and a home made 2" Pot Still with Liebig.

Postby crow » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

If they taste ok to you they are :doh: but thats not really how to do cuts is it . you'll have some heads mixed with it, ya might get a bit of a hangover thats all I would follow the instructions provide in the future though
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby toadskin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Croweater. I will definitely follow the information you gave me next time. I'm all for doing these sort of thing as good as I possibly can. This was just the first run just to see if the damn thing was going to function properly and I am happy with the way it works and they way I have it set up. Now to improve my technique, understanding and importantly the product.
:text-thankyoublue:
toadskin

equipment: Home made Reflux still with Liebig condenser and a home made 2" Pot Still with Liebig.

My first run

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:14 pm

toadskin wrote:Thanks Croweater. I will definitely follow the information you gave me next time. I'm all for doing these sort of thing as good as I possibly can. This was just the first run just to see if the damn thing was going to function properly and I am happy with the way it works and they way I have it set up. Now to improve my technique, understanding and importantly the product.
:text-thankyoublue:

HERE'S A SUPER BASIC WAY TO DO CUTS:

Start keeping all your glass jam/salsa/pasta sauce jars.

Get them VERY clean (ask Croweater about the time he left too much olive residue in a cuts jar!)

Split your entire run after the foreshots into 200-250ml jars.

Put a paper towel & rubber band over the jars, number each paper towel.

Wait 48hours.

Start sniffing from the middle and work outwards. As soon as they stop smelling like the middle jar, chuck that into the next run.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby jman69 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:59 pm

tHANKS FOR THAT BACKYARDBREWER. jUST TODAY I STARTED A T.P.W. WASH AND WAS WONDERING ABOUT DOING CUTS. THIS SOUNDS LIKE A VERY EASY WAY TO LEARN. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jman69

equipment: reflux

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:10 am

Jman it does sound simple but it is not :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Especially for us newbies, so use a combination of taste and smell mate, over time you get better at it so don’t give up on trying. If you read the making cuts in the newbies section you will get an idea of what ABV the various fractions happen. This is just an idea though as ever run is a little different. Those ABVs will give you an idea though where to start looking.

Dilute it back to taste it, even dilute it back to 30% can sometimes help and you will b3 absolutely amazed at the difference in taste from one jar to the next when you find the cut point. Good luck mate and again don’t give up because each run you do gets a little easier. Trust your instincts as well and if unsure move to the next jar to double check
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions