Starting a Microdistillery - TIPS

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Starting a Microdistillery - TIPS

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks Marcus I am doing some 1 on 1 training for some people later this year, if there is enough interest I am happy to organise a residential masterclass for a small group. Getting certified is a weasly way they get out of granting licences. We can get around that.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Re: bigger bigger

Postby res » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:41 pm

I did check out his list, cheers. Nothing that really fits the bill. I'll write him first chance I get, could even collect it if it pans out, quite fancy a drive to taz via the ferry. Maybe stop by one of there fine distillerys for an eye opener. Thanks again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

bigger bigger

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:48 pm

res wrote:I did check out his list, cheers. Nothing that really fits the bill. I'll write him first chance I get, could even collect it if it pans out, quite fancy a drive to taz via the ferry. Maybe stop by one of there fine distillerys for an eye opener. Thanks again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No worries mate, pretty sure whatever you're after a member here can build to spec. Sling JayD a pm and see what he can do for ya.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby res » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:52 pm

done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby guerd87 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Big :handgestures-thumbupleft: on JayD's work! Top notch stuff. Got a copper pot still off him recently shipped all the way up here in QLD
guerd87

equipment: 2" Pot Still over 50L Keg Boiler

Postby res » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Hey guerd87 got a pic handy?
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby baysidebogan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:59 pm

res, check out this thread, it shows one of JayD`s copper pot stills :handgestures-thumbupleft:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4053
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby res » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Cheers mate I saw that, interesting stuff. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby res » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:38 pm

crow wrote:Hi res welcome. Firstly we don't refer to Irish whiskey as "what ever" :laughing-rolling:
I would say that a beer keg boiler would be a nice place to start but if you are really hung up on a copper boiler yep it can be done either built or modify a copper hot water service boiler

Thanks crow, fair point.
Generally speaking I prefer less 'e' in my whisky but only a fool would discount the contribution from the emerald Isle. The whisky world is a diverse place these days, I was sipping a incredible Japanese number just last week. Not to mention our local talent, in short if I were to list all the world's producers or make reference to there styles it might take a while, and who has the time.
I do have my heart set on solid copper throughout, also on the right shape. Don't really like the sound of a hot water service. :think:
Anyway any copper artists pm me. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby guerd87 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:56 pm

There are a few photos in my build log

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4584
guerd87

equipment: 2" Pot Still over 50L Keg Boiler

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Understand where you are coming from, but.... for what you want you are going to be paying big money.

Do you really just want a small scale pot like used in Scotland (which distillery, they are fairly different) as you believe this will make a better drop?

I would be chucking a copper pot on a 50L and go from there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby res » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Understand where you are coming from, but.... for what you want you are going to be paying big money.

Do you really just want a small scale pot like used in Scotland (which distillery, they are fairly different) as you believe this will make a better drop?

I would be chucking a copper pot on a 50L and go from there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the welcome mate.
I do hope it make a better drop but more than that I love the artistry in running whisky the traditional ways, I love the way they look and the simple elegance of the craft. Further more I aspire to one day to take the great leap and open the doors to my own distillery using the kind of stills I favor. To this end I want my pool of knowledge rooted in the fundamentals of traditional still design.
Before making any purchase I'll refine exactly which model to draw inspiration from but at the moment it's looking like this.
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby crow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 pm

You might want to define how much you are willing to out lay to get the help you require. one of those pot stills pictured I'd guess to be between $20,000 and 30,000 and are not really the type of still most micro distilleries are using due to the fact that they produce a pretty raw product that require a lot of yrs of barrel aging just to get to a drinkable quality. Either way they are most definitely not the still to learn on. They are a basic pot still the same as any number of pots stills you can see in that section of our forum, I built a good one for around $50 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Most smaller distilleries these days are using a plated still as they product a better product in a single run requiring much less work and a lot less aging meaning a faster return on a better product with much less outlay/time/wages ect

[b]Below is just one of a great many examples[/b] the plated stills we use are basically a basic hobby version of these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

PS not sure who built those stills you pictured to guess I would say the fist ones are by Carl and the last 3 are McMillans either way big money. They could be made here for less but still big money
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby res » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 pm

crow wrote:You might want to define how much you are willing to out lay to get the help you require. one of those pot stills pictured I'd guess to be between $20,000 and 30,000 and are not really the type of still most micro distilleries are using due to the fact that they produce a pretty raw product that require a lot of yrs of barrel aging just to get to a drinkable quality. Either way they are most definitely not the still to learn on. They are a basic pot still the same as any number of pots stills you can see in that section of our forum, I built a good one for around $50 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Most smaller distilleries these days are using a plated still as they product a better product in a single run requiring much less work and a lot less aging meaning a faster return on a better product with much less outlay/time/wages ect

[b]Below is just one of a great many examples[/b] the plated stills we use are basically a basic hobby version of these

Great reply, it's really something that people take the time to offer there advice, it's much appreciated. :hand:
I was only thinking a scaled down version of that type of still and certainty not the full sized one pictured, maybe 60lt only. Good food for thought though, is it your opinion that these types of still are redundant in the modern age? That they offer no advantages at all over there modern counterparts?
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby crow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:48 pm

No but they require a large scale turn over with a lot of start up capital because stock is going to be laying around for awhile and that still is not adaptable to make the sorts of drinks that can tide you over not efficiently anyway (vodka's gins, schnapps ect) That still I pictured is made by a German company call Kothe and along with Carl and Holstein can and do make commercial pot stills too, The same stills can be made or obtained here to but you are just starting to toy with the idea so I think you should be looking at a much cheaper scaled down version first to get a feel for the craft before contemplating laying out 30 to 50 gorillas AS I said have a look in pot stills and has a read of their capabilities verses their limitations and do the same with plated stills. There is nothing new about plated stills, they were producing whiskey in the 1820s But have under gone some real improvements and quite recently have been show to be able to scale down to hobby and micro distillery sizes very cost effectively
Below is the same still showing the basic components the plated stills available in hobby size could quite easily be set up in this configuration
crow

Postby res » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:08 pm

crow wrote:No but they require a large scale turn over with a lot of start up capital because stock is going to be laying around for awhile and that still is not adaptable to make the sorts of drinks that can tide you over not efficiently anyway (vodka's gins, schnapps ect) That still I pictured is made by a German company call Kothe and along with Carl and Holstein can and do make commercial pot stills too, The same stills can be made or obtained here to but you are just starting to toy with the idea so I think you should be looking at a much cheaper scaled down version first to get a feel for the craft before contemplating laying out 30 to 50 gorillas AS I said have a look in pot stills and has a read of their capabilities verses their limitations and do the same with plated stills. There is nothing new about plated stills, they were producing whiskey in the 1820s But have under gone some real improvements and quite recently have been show to be able to scale down to hobby and micro distillery sizes very cost effectively
Below is the same still showing the basic components the plated stills available in hobby size could quite easily be set up in this configuration

I'm pretty familiar with there pros and cons, that is to say enough to take your point. I haven't spent a lot of effort researching other types of stills, I'll do that.
Cheers.
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby Bushy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Hey Res,
Read through yr thread. I must say the idea of going with a traditional type still is a noble idea but in my opinion yr reaching a bit far. You may want to get a simple pot still and concentrate on the actual wash. These guys don't make a sugarhead like us bogans. All grain is where you may want to concentrate yr energy. A still is just a still. Unless you want to talk about plates.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby res » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:24 am

Bushy wrote:Hey Res,
Read through yr thread. I must say the idea of going with a traditional type still is a noble idea but in my opinion yr reaching a bit far. You may want to get a simple pot still and concentrate on the actual wash. These guys don't make a sugarhead like us bogans. All grain is where you may want to concentrate yr energy. A still is just a still. Unless you want to talk about plates.

Fortune favours the bold!
Or not, who know it's been a long day. But I'm all grain straight down the line, in my beer or my whisky. I have no trouble in that area save for the fiddly scale of my whisky runs at the moment, itching for that upscale. :happy-partydance:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby Bushy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:37 am

res wrote:
Bushy wrote:Hey Res,

Fortune favours the bold!
Or not, who know it's been a long day. But I'm all grain straight down the line, in my beer or my whisky. I have no trouble in that area save for the fiddly scale of my whisky runs at the moment, itching for that upscale. :happy-partydance:

Okay then. I'll get back in me box.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions