Starting a Microdistillery - TIPS

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: bigger bigger

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:08 am

My thought is much whats whats already been said, on a hobby size still 40 - 80 L boiler, shape and if the boilers copper or not isn't going to make a huge difference. A simple pot on a Keg will do the same job as a fancy all copper job. And the price difference will be huge. Maybe start cheap, if you like it work up to something bigger n better. Anything will be an improvement on doing 5L runs.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby res » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 am

SBB wrote:Anything will be an improvement on doing 5L runs.

For sure it's a pain :angry-banghead:
There seems to be a consensus forming here and in the general community as well, I'll take a good look at reflux stills. It seems the plated ones are the go, any recommended reading on there operation and styles? I'll keep hunting around myself, so much good info here. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
First question: does anyone know why 5star's crazy beautiful stills are done in ss and not copper? My info to date strongly suggests there are positive benefits from coppers interactions down the line. :think:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 am

If you haven't already I suggest you have a good look through the newbies corner especially on the different type of stills and there uses.

Stainless is a lot more durable and easy to clean for a couple and having copper plates provides enough to remove sulphides.

Both have pros and cons
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:39 am

res wrote:
First question: does anyone know why 5star's crazy beautiful stills are done in ss and not copper? My info to date strongly suggests there are positive benefits from coppers interactions down the line. :think:

They're made from SS 304 for the reasons Sam has already suggested, and also because of price, I'll bet you'd need an ambulance if you seen the price tag on the same gear made professionally from copper 8-}

The 5 Star equipment has more than enough copper components in the vapor path (where it counts) to deal with sulphide removal, and I know this because I'm one of the rare suppliers that actually use the equipment I've developed and offer for sale ;-)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby res » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:50 am

MacStill wrote:
res wrote:

They're made from SS 304 for the reasons Sam has already suggested, and also because of price, I'll bet you'd need an ambulance if you seen the price tag on the same gear made professionally from copper 8-}

The 5 Star equipment has more than enough copper components in the vapor path (where it counts) to deal with sulphide removal, and I know this because I'm one of the rare suppliers that actually use the equipment I've developed and offer for sale ;-)

Cheers.

Thanks I figured as much, and really top work on the site and of course the stills. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm enjoying the research and it seems your product or something similar is the go. I might be in touch soon. :think:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby the Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 am

Res I apologise for being late to the conversation, it has been a busy few weeks. Firstly if you do not know me I am a commercial distiller with 3 single malt whiskeys on the market. But that does not make me an expert necessarily on the spirit you might want to make. As there are so many styles of whiskey. The styles I prefer are all easily catergorised as Irish, Hebridean & Scottish. While I admire the purity of your vision in wanting to use traditional equipment ie pot stills, which were developed centuries ago...why hell I admire the Amish, but I personally do not need a horse and cart to do so. Distilling was changed fundamentally by Robert Stein 1826 and Aeneas Coffey 1830 with the invention of the coffey column still. And prior to that by Sir Anthony Perrier (1770-1845) was operator of the Spring Lane distillery (Glen distillery) in Cork, Ireland from 1806. In 1822 he patented one of Europe's first continuous whiskey stills. So column stills are a traditional way of making whiskey. And will deliver product which ages quicker, is smoother and has all the flavour of a pot still...But, and it is a big but...there is less congener (impurity) carryover than a pot still. I think that you have recieved good advice in this thread, I personally use a pot still for the initial strip of my barley wash...but now use a plated still for the final run. 3 plates for scottish style and 4 plates for irish. 5 Star has the best plated still I have used and JayD makes beautiful copper versions, so what still you pursue is really your decision. There is one last thing I would suggest, that is the whiskey textbook by Inge Russell which is available from Amazon...It is expensive but will take you in short measure from newbie to university level and is the only text you will probably ever need on the subject. I hope that you will be more confident in the purchase of a column still knowing that many of the traditional whiskeys that you admire are in fact made on columns. Cheers mate, welcome to the forum.
Doc

Coffey_Still.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby res » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks doc.
I came across you already in my research, you have a nice site btw and entertaining videos, I like the islay styles as well. One of these days I'll track down some of your single malt and give it a try, it's very satisfying to see the Australian whisky industry growing and I'd love to be a part of it someday.
I have that book you mentioned and it is indeed extremely thorough, might be time to finish it.
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby the Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:53 am

Res I have quite a few books on the subject ...but somehow in 4 short pages Inge Russell made the whole conversion process clear to me in a way that others could not... I really love how he has taken so many good references and distilled the knowledge, to something that even I could understand. Cheers mate I wish you well on your path.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby crow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Hmm sounds like a good book for our library or a link to it if its on line ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby res » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm

crow wrote:Hmm sounds like a good book for our library or a link to it if its on line ;-)

I've got as a PDF but I'm helping a friend move a present, I think I got it on iso hunt originally. let me know if you have trouble finding it and I'll hook you up.
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:39 pm

It is in the library :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:It is in the library :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Far out :oops: I did a search before I posted too and it didn't come up,I'll just craw back under my little rock now
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Starting a Microdistillery - TIPS

Postby crow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:21 pm

god damn it what the hell is this elusive book called I can't bring it up with any of those things mentioned and I'm not going to down load the entire library to find out the authors :angry-banghead:
crow

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:33 pm

SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:36 am

I find this thread interesting with the risk of sounding like an arse I appologise if im out of line here but to the guys interested in comercial ventures if your fairly new to this game why would you risk your liveihood an invest in a distillery with so little knowledge about the process. I mean nothing wrong with dreaming thats how great things happen but if I was gunna start a micro distillery I would spending as much time in the shed at hobby scale mastering my skills before I even thought about going commercial as doc has said the returns are modest at best. Ya dont just jump from a 5l pot still to a commercial size brewery and expect to be any good The world is a competitive place why not consider mastering a hobby scale first just my two cents had a few tonight been thinking this awhile
ticknaylor

Postby res » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:08 am

ticknaylor wrote:I find this thread interesting with the risk of sounding like an arse I appologise if im out of line here but to the guys interested in comercial ventures if your fairly new to this game why would you risk your liveihood an invest in a distillery with so little knowledge about the process. I mean nothing wrong with dreaming thats how great things happen but if I was gunna start a micro distillery I would spending as much time in the shed at hobby scale mastering my skills before I even thought about going commercial as doc has said the returns are modest at best. Ya dont just jump from a 5l pot still to a commercial size brewery and expect to be any good The world is a competitive place why not consider mastering a hobby scale first just my two cents had a few tonight been thinking this awhile

Something a little odd has happened here, I started this thread in the welcome center and somehow is has split halfway down and merged with this one about tips to open a micro distillery. :doh:
This is also a dream of mine but something I'm not planning of seriously considering for many moons, I just wanted to look into getting the same style still on a much smaller scale. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:26 am

res wrote:Something a little odd has happened here, I started this thread in the welcome center and somehow is has split halfway down and merged with this one about tips to open a micro distillery. :doh:

This is also a dream of mine but something I'm not planning of seriously considering for many moons, I just wanted to look into getting the same style still on a much smaller scale. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'd suggest that is because the Mods have deemed this thread as having developed into a discussion on starting a Micro distillery.

All the info here is helpful in that and so..... TIPS on starting a micro distillery.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Damn Mods.... their sneaky that way. :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:

Great thread by the way.
:D :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:20 am

Information needs to be in the appropriate sections of the forum if anyone is going to have a chance to find what they are looking for :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 am

dogbreath vodka wrote:I'd suggest that is because the Mods have deemed this thread as having developed into a discussion on starting a Micro distillery.
DBV

Correct, I moved these posts here as it stopped being a welcome thread a long time ago ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Konzo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 am

Well the ball is rolling at my end. I plan on having my distillery open and products on the shelf within 12 months :-)

My biggest problem is once I set a goal I don't stop until I reach it ;-) so it is go time!!!
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions